Prescription Safety Specs - which ones are the 'best'?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeddedhed

Established Member
Reaction score
Not wanting to hijack the current H&S thread I'd be keen to find out who uses prescription Safety Glasses as opposed to those which can be worn over the top of normal specs.

I currently have a cheap pair of 'over -specs' which I use when required, but they are truly awful and do sometimes make things feel more dangerous.

I'm not sure what rating system is used to determine how protective safety glasses are, and what people would recommend for general workshop use (CSMS, TS, Bandsaw, Spindle Moulder, PT etc etc).

I'm going to start having a bit of a look on the web, and will post what I discover but I was wanting some real world feedback as well.

The truth is, reading the H&S thread has got me thinking a lot more about safety and preserving what's left of my shabby carcass.

I guess the answer to what's best is 'the ones you wear' - in other words uncomfortable or awkward PPE is just as bad as no PPE if it means you don't wear it.

Good call. I have the Bolle Pilopsi over spectacle ones which are great for my needs. I like them so much after all the tosh I've used over the years I keep them in a little tupperware box I stole from my Mrs . Shhhh!
For the power tools I use occasionally, Circ/chop saw Jigsaw, router they suit me. If I was doing it for a living I wouldn't hesitate to buy the best prescription eye protection available. Why not get a pair that you whack on and don't even know you're wearing after a minute or two. http://www.bolle-safety.com/prescription-7 Dunno if this helps, Zed, you probably already looked here tbh but just in case. Look forward to your findings.
Regards

Excellent question.

About a year ago I went to an optician for some prescription safety specs, his advice was there were two grades of safety specs and as a woodworker I only needed the lower grade. I wasn't convinced about this as I could see situations where they might have to withstand a bigger impact so I went for the higher grade. If I'd have known about this in advance I'd have researched this choice before hand, which may have led to a more informed decision.

Having used them for a while I think they're great, I put them on when I enter the workshop in the morning, and take them off when I lock up at night.

BM - my thoughts exactly. The idea is to get a pair that will live on a hook just inside the workshop door and that I put on the second I step inside. They then stay on until I leave.

For that reason I'm interested in anyones experience regarding comfort (I know that this is often subjective) fogging, quality of lens etc etc.

I've looked at this site http://safetyspecs.co.uk/index.htm and it would seem that for specs (not goggles) the spec is Class F - capable of resisting a 6mm steel ball weighing 0.86g travelling at maximum 45 m/s at the time of impact.

In my head I struggle to equate that to something a bit more 'real-world' but it sounds like a BB fired from a low powered catapult would be something like it. I guess that should cover workshop related impacts. Someone out there will no doubt have the knowledge to show me that a table saw could chuck a lump at my eye resembling a head shot from a 9mm Magnum but I guess that if that's the standard recommended then I'll go with it

custard":1jwoujd8 said:
About a year ago I went to an optician for some prescription safety specs, his advice was there were two grades of safety specs and as a woodworker I only needed the lower grade. I wasn't convinced about this as I could see situations where they might have to withstand a bigger impact so I went for the higher grade. If I'd have known about this in advance I'd have researched this choice before hand, which may have led to a more informed decision.

Custard, our posts crossed. Which grade did you end up getting? I've only seen Grade F in specs so far.

Zeddedhed":1gff7ymn said:
Custard, our posts crossed. Which grade did you end up getting? I've only seen Grade F in specs so far.

I wish I could remember, I was offered two grades with the lower grade being the optician's recommendation, but I went for the higher grade. Unfortunately I don't know what that grade is in terms of it's coding or reference number. I'll certainly get another pair when these need replacing, but next time I'll do more research in advance to find out what grade is actually necessary. I know the higher grade was quite a bit more expensive but as the optician hardly ever sold any he wasn't particularly clued up so I wasn't confident in his recommendation and didn't want to take the risk. I'm hoping to learn a bit more from this thread and maybe save myself some money with the next pair!

By the way, there's zero fogging or discomfort. To all intents and purposes they're like regular specs but a bit thicker and larger with side guards.

I've a pair of bolle bi focal +2 saftey specs, not a proper prescription set, they're sold with varying strength in magnification , I first found these a few years ago while working in France, I went into castorama (Frances version of b & q) and found a whole selection of them, found the magnification that suited me and I've used them ever since.
I only need to wear glasses for reading at the mo so these are great for my needs, I will follow this thread with interest as I know I will need to wear glasses full time within the next couple of years
Oh the joys of getting older

http://safetyspecs.co.uk/BS%20EN%20166.htm
Grade S and F. I find it a strange and clunky way to differentiate. At first glance I'd say F are more protective but then you read it again and recall the little physics I picked up at school and guess that F are the right ones.
See the right hand wall of text under protector type.
If you look at the middle table goggles seem to be the best all round protection except against high impact which is defended best by a mask. Would that stop you wearing them all the time?
If the practical answer is ... probably/possibly...then you might need to calculate that actually you'll be far safer wearing thespecs all the time than be caught out not wearing higher spec protection because it's a PITA to have goggles on. So you err sometimes because your human and don't put it on. The specs are second nature.

Xvxr8Pw.png

BM - I saw that chart earlier whilst browsing and I guess in an ideal world I'd have some specs made to grade B. Same little ball as grade F but fired at you at 120m/s (mid powered air rifle velocity if that helps).

I'm going to call that company in the morning and make some enquiries. I'll post my findings.

Im thinking of getting a pair but can't decide between bi focal and varifocal has anyone got any opinion. Thanks
Arfon.

ja2_k":3v8m0x2b said:
Im thinking of getting a pair but can't decide between bi focal and varifocal has anyone got any opinion.
A lot will depend on your individual prescriptions and preference.
It's probably best to go for what you normally wear.
If you only wear glasses for close up work/reading, just go for an off the shelf pair of bifocals. Dead cheap and easy to get on with.

Rhossydd":2vuvld5s said:
ja2_k":2vuvld5s said:
Im thinking of getting a pair but can't decide between bi focal and varifocal has anyone got any opinion.
A lot will depend on your individual prescriptions and preference.
It's probably best to go for what you normally wear.
If you only wear glasses for close up work/reading, just go for an off the shelf pair of bifocals. Dead cheap and easy to get on with.

My optician pointed out that we operate most machines at arms length so we do not need the reading element. all you need is good 1m to 5m range which for most blokes means either a single prescription or no prescription and get some cheap reading glasses or a magnifier for detail.

My advice would be go for F grade.
Be aware if you use specsavers their default is S grade (which have no prescribed impact resistance).
They will provide F grade if you ask, but at additional expense.

My employer uses this company and our chaps are fairly happy with them.
Obviously I cannot comment on cost as these are FOC to the employee :lol:

I have heard good things about the corrective (but non prescription) Bolle ones.
Arco might be a good place to try them out.

PAC1":2cuf3sn3 said:
My optician pointed out that we operate most machines at arms length so we do not need the reading element. all you need is good 1m to 5m range which for most blokes means either a single prescription or no prescription and get some cheap reading glasses or a magnifier for detail.

Your optician has got funny arms hasn't he!?

My safety specs are bifocals with reading and distance prescription so I can use them for whatever I'm doing during the day.

Mine are F Grade.

I need a separate prescription for close up work and thought about varifocal but in the end decided to get 2 pairs one for normal workshop work and one for close up stuff, as most of the time I am not doing close up stuff.

The only mistake I made was to get the same frames #-o , as I had to put a bit of paint on one so I can tell which is which without having to put them on.

I have a pair of prescription bifocal workshop glasses, the longer focus is just beyond arm's length and the shorter is reading distance. They are tempered glass, as the usual polycarbonate doesn't take silver-solder or brazing splatter too well. I've had them for at least 15 years, and I'm only collecting a new pair tomorrow because my eyes have changed focus. Go to a 'proper' optician and make sure they know what activities you want them for. I keep them in a little box just inside the workshop door, when I go in I swap glasses (and take my watch off) completely on autopilot.

Latest posts

Back