Is this old grinder worth keeping?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Evening all. I've recently been given a couple of old grinders. The first, a Wickes model, is a very simple grinder. There's no guards on it, only very basic rests, it's fitted with an old grey wheel and a wire wheel, photo below. This will probably live out by the welder and just be kept for rough sharpening and cleanup of metal work things. I'll make up a simple rest for it as most things are likely to be done freehand and ensure I'm always wearing safety specs.

The other grinder is a dual speed wet and dry grinder. The standard wheel looks in need of replacement and isn't the best type for doing planes and chisels from what I've read so I could swap that out for a more suitable one and get something like a Veritas adjustable rest to make a decent start. The wet wheel, I've no idea about. I've not used one before and it looks pretty awkward. The only rest is something bolted on and, to me, looks like it's on the wrong side for sharpening, at least compared to things like Tormek. I'd have to either buy or build some form of mount to go above the wet wheel and wondered if anyone else here had used a similar grinder and what they'd done for a guide/rest.

Alternatively, if the grinder is just going to be a lot of faff to make effective, would I be better just buying something like a new record grinder and a veritas tool rest or can this be turned into something worthwhile.

Thanks.
These don’t look all that old, so worth keeping, the one I mention before that I took to the recycling centre was prehistoric by comparison,
Regards

You don't need a pat test for safety you need a pat test for compliance.
Not so sure about that. Yes a pat test is part of compliance testing and every mains electric device should be tested for compliance immediately after manufacture. However a pat test checks the earth connection at a high current, 25A if my memory is correct and ensures the insulation is better than 1MOhm at 500V or more. The high current earth test ensures that there's more than just a thin strand of wire connecting earth. A multimeter wouldn't fuse a single strand. Yes I would very definitely say that's a safety test.

Back