Preparing blanks...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrPhill

Cyber Heretic
Reaction score
I have a chunk of yew from the garden of a house I used to live at. It has been cut three or four years and has stood outside, so it may be reasonably seasoned. I would like to create some blanks that a professional can make whistles from. They need to be at least 1" square, 1ft long, contain no sapwood and avoid the center of the log. Whistles made from this would have extra sentimental value so I do not mind some extra effort and cost (the whistle maker has some yew already, but is willing to try to use blanks if I can produce them).

I have cleaned the log of bark, and cut the thick end to 30", it is about 5" in diameter, with a split on one side. This is the thick end:
thickEnd.jpg
The log is reasonably straight:
log.jpg

And for completeness this is the thin end:
thinEnd.jpg

Do you think I might be able to extract one or more suitable blanks? How would I do it? Any thoughts welcome.

Attachments

• thickEnd.jpg
    thickEnd.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 717
  • log.jpg
    log.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 717
  • thinEnd.jpg
    thinEnd.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 717
Basically 2 options.
1. Cut it lengthwise down through he pith.
2. Slab it lengthwise into 50-75mm thick slabs.

From the above then decide on best use for blank sizes, if not wanted immediately keep it as long as possible until needed.
If it has significant longitudinal fissures try to make these a cut line.

See these Comments

and This PDF

This is the sort of thing you can get out of such a log.
No matter how or what shape you cut it up make sure you quickly seal any endgrain against rapid moisture loss.

Thanks Chas - interesting reading.
I think that the log is probably a ways through its seasoning. It has a tangential split propagating up through one side and a radial split to the center (which may not go too far). I thought that maybe I could cut along these lines and use the remains. I only have hand saws though so it will be hard work. I have sealed the cut ends with almond oil while I think. The original cutting was done for me by someone else, and so they were not necessarily sealed properly before the initial storage - cannot complain as it was done as a favour.

By hand, cut into lengths , multiples of width plus a bit to help cover end splits.
Then split down the length with axe or wedges, possibly using natural splits as starting points, won't make maximum use of log but should give you useful sections even if long and narrow for Candle Sticks, Handles etc..

Thanks Chas, I wondered if splitting down the cracks would be a good idea. It would certainly be easier than longitudinal cuts with hand tools. I will give it a try at the weekend.

Making Shavings":1c4x124n said:
Where are you?
Maybe me or a.n.other member could come help with one of those new-fangled chainsaw things?
That is very kind of you. But a chainsaw may be a bit brutal for this. I can cut the branch cross-ways but am daunted by the idea of cutting it lengthwise with any accuracy using just a handsaw, though I guess that is how my ancestors would have done it.

Lazurus":386oxsj9 said:
Below is a thread to a forum on which I have given some thoughts on a cheap Chinese chainsaw and Alaskan copy mill. it has proved invaluable in converting trunks to blanks and boards, for those of you whom may have a use or interest in such things.

https://arbtalk.co.uk/forums/topic/9821 ... e-milling/

Interesting, thanks. If I were doing more timber I would certainly consider that tech. For a once-off it might be a tad expensive.

However you saw it, use a good quality dust mask with filter, and preferably outside. Some people (me included) have an allergic/poison response to yew dust. I needed a course of steroids after making a large desk. I don't want to put you off doing it as it is beautiful wood, but do take the right precautions.

Riving along the cracks can be a good start.

Keith

I would have thought a bandsaw was the ideal tool for this.
At 30" long you are only going to get two 12" lengths so start by cutting it in half. Then two boards joined lengthways at 90° to hold the log steady & run against the fence to cut a flat. Once you have a flat the other cuts are easy.

Latest posts

Back