Precise work vs. Speed of Work

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
engineer one":2xgg4gy5 said:
accuracy and expertise bring their own speed.

paul :wink:

What I have seen in every master at any craft is precision, feedback, and economy of movement. For example the chef who "works clean" - that is constantly washing, cleaning, putting stuff away. Knifes go back to their holder even if they will be used in few seconds. THere is an automatic economy of movement which is wonderfull to watch. and constant feedback of tasting and touching which keeps the process on track.

I agree Joel. I see the same with fellow musicians...when beginners play something fast their fingers and hands will be frantically moving about every which way--it looks very impressive. When a pro plays the same song you wonder if he is even playing--the economy of movement allows him to be much more efficient and speedy. I think it's important to learn the right movements first, avoiding any bad habits that reduce consistency and lead to wasted effort (inefficiency). With practice speed develops to the extent that technique allows it.

Or like when you get someone good at music like John Coltrane or Miles Davis or Elvin Jones, theyre at a place where they "think" a sound idea or shape or texture and without further ado the desired sound emerges, because the basic building blocks are well established over a long period of time with practice. I remember hearing Miles say he hired one perticular musician "because the punters like to see fingers moving fast" (or something like that) :lol: People used to stand out in the street to hear Loius armstrong practice every day :lol: even though he was the most widely heard jazz musician of his day, his genius wasnt cheap. But not too many folk want to invest the practice time in woodworking skills or musical proficiency or anything else, as we are an instant gratification generation living for the moment seizing the day all that modern stuff :roll:
What do you play Frank if I might ask?
Cheers Jonathan :D

Hi Jonathan,
I play bass, and sometimes 2nd (rhythm) guitar. I'm not a pro, although I did play in bars and give lessons to beginners to make ends meet when I was a student. I play mostly punk-metal-jazz fusion, as well as music from the 60s, although I like other styles including Latin music (Salsa, meringe, chacha, bachata...). I saw Miles in concert once; he spent the whole show getting mad at the drummer (he turned around and played the whole show facing the drummer, clicking his fingers in the air to show the poor guy the correct beat...).

Was it Al Foster, or his nephew Vince wilburn?
I heard Miles live at Hammersmith in 1982 just after he came out of retirement, he came over as a big old softie :lol: yes He did have his off moments like the rest of us he wasnt a perfect saint. But when he blew that trumpet on a good day....I listened a lot to the Jack Johnson sessions in my car recently, even though its 30 years old it still blows the cobwebs away its funky subversive stuff 8) 8) 8) .
I play drums and even there I was always like less is more, simple simple, small acoustic kit set low down to the ground; but I now have ELECTRONIC DRUMS and I really like them. I also play a bit of guitar, I been playing a tatra polish made?? 6 string for maybe 4 or 5 years just practicing just about every day, I got to the stage where I want to up grade to a dobro/resonator type thing as I can internally hear the sound I want but this guitar is limited as to what it can produce. I like the blues, jazz, african music, synchro system sunny ade killer talking drums :lol: :lol: Have you ever listened to Elvin Jones?? 8) 8) 8) :lol:
Cheers Jonathan :D

I'm with you mike

speed through repetitive precision - prcision is more important to me than speed and I would expect most hobbiest feel the same way

Back