Powered Respirators Vs Dust Masks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LFS19

Established Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what the real differences are as far as effectiveness, between powered respirators and dust masks

I have one of the 3M 7500 masks, a pair of goggles and an over head face mask which goes over everything,
I'd think I was pretty well protected as far as dust, and the whole package cost about £40.

I'm also aware of the powered respirators.
Costing much more than the combination I've thrown together myself as advised on the forum here, the powered respirators come with a full face mask, and a battery powered filter; a popular model being the "Trend Airshield" range and more expensive 3M models.

The Trend airshield comes in at around £200. £160 more than my set up, and what I'm wondering is what sort of a boosts in performance you'd be getting spending the extra cash.
The airshield boasts 98% protection. I'm not sure what the 3M masks are; couldn't find much info on that other than which particles they protect against.

As far as overall protection against dust, ease of use and comfort aside, would you say the airshield or othe powered respirator was worth the money over a good dust mask, goggles and full face mask combo?

copied from wiki.....

European standard EN 149 defines the following classes of “filtering half masks” (also called “filtering face pieces”), that is respirators that are entirely or substantially constructed of filtering material:
Class Filter penetration limit (at 95 L/min air flow) Inward leakage
FFP1 Filters at least 80% of airborne particles <22%
FFP2 Filters at least 94% of airborne particles <8%
FFP3 Filters at least 99% of airborne particles <2%

I use FFP3 throwaway masks that cost around 1.5 euro each. They outperform the airshield for protection.

The trend "benefit" is that you have mask and goggles all in one, but the trend is not as good as the throw away for keeping your lungs clean

I have tried most respirators on the market powered and non. The more expensive ones like the 3M dustmaster are nice and comfortable but the protection only goes to 2P plus because they are a negative pressure mask under certain circumstances I was not getting protected at all. I have found for me a sundstrom mask with P3 filter works well although it does become uncomfortable after a few hrs. I have a sensitivity to any form of dust so soon know if something is not working.

sunnybob":12ehxwvx said:
They outperform the airshield for protection.

Only if they fully maintian the seal around the face, which they never do.
Also you need to be clean shaven, 2 days stubble will reduce the effectiveness of the seal by at least 20%
I deal with this on a daily basis for a living and wherever possible would recommend positive air flow

Being an asthmatic and a glasses wearer, I struggled with this as the masks tend to cause glasses to mist up continually. I also find face masks very uncomfortable to wear when they are tight enough to be effective. I bought an Axminster face mask 2 weeks ago and am super impressed with it: quiet, comfortable and effective. No asthma or allergy attacks, no misting, no nasal passage blocked with dust. Face masks area thing of the past for me now.

lurker":1s6g30t6 said:
sunnybob":1s6g30t6 said:

Also you need to be clean shaven, 2 days stubble will reduce the effectiveness of the seal by at least 20%
I deal with this on a daily basis for a living and wherever possible would recommend positive air flow

I'm fussy about my mask fit. I take time to make sure it does, and my missus wont let me get to 2 days stubble.
But your points are valid, the best gear in the world is no good unless its used properly.

sunnybob":3i1h4s8h said:
copied from wiki.....

European standard EN 149 defines the following classes of “filtering half masks” (also called “filtering face pieces”), that is respirators that are entirely or substantially constructed of filtering material:

I use FFP3 throwaway masks that cost around 1.5 euro each. They outperform the airshield for protection.

The trend "benefit" is that you have mask and goggles all in one, but the trend is not as good as the throw away for keeping your lungs clean

That's interesting,
I wasn't aware those disposable masks were much good at all.

Thanks for the heads up

wallace":1gh11mav said:
I have tried most respirators on the market powered and non. The more expensive ones like the 3M dustmaster are nice and comfortable but the protection only goes to 2P plus because they are a negative pressure mask under certain circumstances I was not getting protected at all. I have found for me a sundstrom mask with P3 filter works well although it does become uncomfortable after a few hrs. I have a sensitivity to any form of dust so soon know if something is not working.

, I just assumed the powered variants of a mask would be geared towards filtering out more than their cheaper counterparts.
Now I know,
Thanks

lurker":3r9k4zim said:
sunnybob":3r9k4zim said:

That's a good point actually.
I once resorted to using two masks together for a time for a better seal - one positioned in the usual position and one slightly below, sealing the jaw area.

Thanks

AJB Temple":2v93z8jg said:
Being an asthmatic and a glasses wearer, I struggled with this as the masks tend to cause glasses to mist up continually. I also find face masks very uncomfortable to wear when they are tight enough to be effective. I bought an Axminster face mask 2 weeks ago and am super impressed with it: quiet, comfortable and effective. No asthma or allergy attacks, no misting, no nasal passage blocked with dust. Face masks area thing of the past for me now.

They are uncomfortable aren't they.
I don't know about anyone else, but they seem to make my jaw push forward, which is uncomfortable.

sunnybob":2wkvtrvb said:
lurker":2wkvtrvb said:
sunnybob":2wkvtrvb said:

I'm fussy about my mask fit. I take time to make sure it does, and my missus wont let me get to 2 days stubble.
But your points are valid, the best gear in the world is no good unless its used properly.

I guess sizing would be a large determiner in terms of the seal.
Would it be better to go for a smaller size than you usually for a better fit? Or would it just not fit at all if you did that.

The masks I buy are one size fits all. Luckily I am slightly larger than average at 6ft 2 and a head to match (lol). I tried fitting one to my 5 year old grandson, and it covered his eyes and almost his forehead, so size really does matter with these.

The nose metal band is where most people go wrong, They dont crimp it enough and the dust leaks in over the top. This is also why glasses fog up. If your glasses fog up, you are NOT wearing the mask correctly.
It takes practice to breathe normally with a close fitting mask, first reaction is to breathe too deeply, and from there on in youre in panic mode. I advise people to think about when you come across a really, really bad smell. Breathe through your mouth not your nose. I can wear the mask so long that I forget to take it off when I've finished making dust.

I also have another consideration that stops me going the powered route. I am already in summer, temps are mid to high 20's and I'm working just wearing T shirt and shorts. In another month that temp will be over 30, and by august it will hovering around 40. Try working in those temps with a full plastic face mask and you'll find out all you want to know about humidity.

Will any mask rated FFP3 be suitable for wood butchering? Seen some 3M ones on t'bay for a £1 each, in boxes of 20 that i was considering buying.

Actually I find that the Axi mask is comfortable to wear even when it is hot. The cap is quite solid but ventilated, and the air flow is from above down over your face. I thought I would hate this but it is actually quite pleasant and cooling. The face shield has a neoprene (or something) soft material that hooks under the chin and makes a pretty useful seal for turning etc.

Since I use dst extraction as well, I feel quite well covered all in all.

The key with any system is that if it is uncomfortable or inconvenient to use, then many people simply don't bother. I would rather accept a degree of compromise that does not detract from the pleasure of work. If I was doing woodwork professionally I may well have a different attitude.

If its rated at FFP3, then its good to go. But take note of all the above, if you dont take the time to fit it properly to your face, then all masks are a waste of money.

AJB Temple":3unkwvln said:
Actually I find that the Axi mask is comfortable to wear even when it is hot. The cap is quite solid but ventilated, and the air flow is from above down over your face. I thought I would hate this but it is actually quite pleasant and cooling.

Trust me, when the air being blown into your face is 40c, its aint cooling (lol)

Cheers Bob. I am used to wearing masks and will ft them properly. I wasn't aware of the rating though, much to my shame, as i should have checked this out. I usually get my masks gratis from my mate who works in a factory, but i doubt they will be the correct rating for particles as he's a welder. I will order some post haste.

LFS19":t99u8v48 said:
sunnybob":t99u8v48 said:
copied from wiki.....

That's interesting,
I wasn't aware those disposable masks were much good at all.

Thanks for the heads up

I use the Silverline PPF3 disposables from Amazon. 20 for about £13.

They are comfy enough, last 8 hours per mask and generally cant complain for the money.

OH NO!
He's used the "S" word!!!!

Skipdiver, check the rating on the welding masks. FFP3 is good for some gases as well as dust, you might be in luck.

There always appears confusion about dust mask ratings. In essence a FFP3 rated mask is just that - FFP3 rated. All dust masks undergo exactly the same testing regime before they are approved for sale.

The cheapest FFP3 dust mask will not give any greater protection that the most expensive FFP3 dust mask, however the more expensive masks may be a better fit!

Back