Power Washers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John on the Wirral

Established Member
Reaction score
having dug out my Karcher K2 Compact power washer from winter hybernation Ifound it didn't work so stripped it down to find the fault. I could not believe the naf engineering and poor quality of the componants. The pressure elbow directly from the motor to the wand outlet was made of cheap plastic and had blown even though the machine was kept in a wooden shed. Obviously it had retained some moisture from last summer's use and frozen.
I have replaced the faulty part and it now works fine. After use I try to drain off the water by turning off the waterand running the motor until it is drained. My question is what is the the way to maintain the machine over winter? Obviously I will keep her in my bedroom next winter for warmth but but,seriously,what am I doing wrong?

small Karcher p/washer have a bad reputation....my £300der blew up just outside warrenty.......prob a rebadged or rebodged chinese offering......
mind their shop vac that I bought at the same time is still going strong.,....
I did look at the cost of parts for the K washer, crazy money.....
in the end I bought I just binned it and bought a petrol engined washer, similar money, which is also flawless and still starts second pull....
new brass replacement pump for the petrol washer was just £60, so that swung it for me.....

I have just repaired my K2 Compact at a cost of £14.69 for a genuine pressure elbow on EBay. Took me about 30 mins so that is good news and not that expensive. However,my main concern now is to stop it going wrong again. I always try to drain off the water but obviously there was a drop left in the elbow which must have frozen. I suppose the simplest solution is to keep it in a warm place. Any ideas?

If you use a petrol washer - think of the neighbours re noise - we had a m/bike enthusiast next door - spent hours power washing his bike and drive - couldn't hear ourselves speak in the garden -

Never had that problem, however I disconnect the high pressure hose and lance when it is stored. This way there is no valve after the pump outlet and the water is not trapped in a fixed space.

However,my main concern now is to stop it going wrong again.
Flush it through with isopropyl alcohol at the end of the season. It will dissolve the water and evaporate and does not freeze until about -90 Celcius.

If the input is a normal 3/4 BSP hosepipe connector, you might be able to connect it to a compressed air source and blow out any moisture in it.

Thanks guys. I tend to leave the outlet hose on as it is fiddly to remove and the plastic clamping cliip is quite fragile but I will disconnect in future as the onlly other alternative is to keep it warm in bed with me - the wife won't freeze up in my shed!

useful thread, thank you. I lost a K3 to frost this year in similar circumstances, kept in shed.
Get a stanley washer. I went through 2 Karcher washers (and they were the more expensive ones) they work like the old christmas tree lights, use them once or twice pack them away til next year. Try them again and broken. Karcher washers are absolute rubbish. My stanley one cost a 1/3 rd of the Karcher and is still going strong after 5 years.
Cheers
Andrew

useful thread, thank you. I lost a K3 to frost this year in similar circumstances, kept in shed.
Hi, It will probably be the same fault - the elbow tube, A black tube with a 90degree angled connection to the outlet. the other end connects to the lance hose outlet. I think the one I fitted covers the K3 model as well. Very simple fix, a twist through 90degrees and come with silicon grease and new O-ring.I used the grease to hold the ring in place whilst I turned it to lock/seal it. I think the idea of removing the lance hose before Winter storing is a good one as any water is allowed to escape/dry up.

my power washer is capable of sucking in its own water (i think most do) I have a 2 litre container with some anti-freze in, before cold weather, using a short length of pipe I allow it to pump anti freeze through itself, therefor anything left inside can't freeze.. (take the wand off so it doesnt blow it out as a high speed jet, and collect what does come out to reuse next time)

I think I have been using the same 2 litres antifreeze mix for about 15 years. so quite cost effective. and it only takes about 5 minutes.

As an aside, I've got an aldi work zone pressure washer, been well used and abused for last 5 years, just one o'ring seal on output fitting in all that time, about a year ago and very happy with it.
The only gripe is my old karcher lance and fittings don't fit, but the aldi accessories have been just as good.

It's stored in shed over winter and never had a problem.

Just my twopence worth for info.

thankyou for your contribution
my power washer is capable of sucking in its own water (i think most do) I have a 2 litre container with some anti-freze in, before cold weather, using a short length of pipe I allow it to pump anti freeze through itself, therefor anything left inside can't freeze.. (take the wand off so it doesnt blow it out as a high speed jet, and collect what does come out to reuse next time)

I think I have been using the same 2 litres antifreeze mix for about 15 years. so quite cost effective. and it only takes about 5 minutes.

I had a similiar l problem to the op. I now before winter storage run it dry for a few seconds then disconnect the lance and leave it on one end for half an hour then reverse it then store it anyway you like on one end or another. Works for me.
If your shed is really cold after the above treatment put it in a box

Many thanks for your contribution and becomes more obvious what I have to do if I am to be stuck with a Karcher. I have always run it with the water turned off for a couple of minutes before stowing it away for winter but our forum has come up with great ideas. I do appreciate all contributions.

having dug out my Karcher K2 Compact power washer from winter hybernation Ifound it didn't work so stripped it down to find the fault. I could not believe the naf engineering and poor quality of the componants. The pressure elbow directly from the motor to the wand outlet was made of cheap plastic and had blown even though the machine was kept in a wooden shed. Obviously it had retained some moisture from last summer's use and frozen.
I have replaced the faulty part and it now works fine. After use I try to drain off the water by turning off the waterand running the motor until it is drained. My question is what is the the way to maintain the machine over winter? Obviously I will keep her in my bedroom next winter for warmth but but,seriously,what am I doing wrong?

You should empty it after use, tune water off and trigger until all the water has gone is correct; however, I think Karcher sell by name and quality isn't that good. Coincidently, I went to the tip this week and one of the operatives was trying to get what looked like a very new Karcher working, someone had dumped it. He failed and it went in the skip

Back