Karcher commercial pressure washers - any good?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric The Viking

Established Member
Reaction score
Bristle, CUBA (the County that Used to Be Avon)
My 20-year old Karcher 620C has decided to fill its electric motor with water. It isn't supposed to. Amazingly it even runs like that, for about 10 secs, then it trips the ELCB.

I haven't diagnosed it. The simple thoughts, like the perished gaskets around the electrics box on top weren't the cause. I think it's blown something(s) substantial such as several seals (there's an oil-filled gearbox before you get to the motor!).

So looking at a new, bottom-of-commercial-range Karcher to replace it, 6/13 C plus*. Pricey, but looks like it will accept all my old stuff, which is handy, as I don't want to have to replace things like the hose extension, the long lance, sand blaster and the drain-jetting kit right now because of the cost (would easily double the outlay, and I'm not even sure they still do some of the bits I have and use a lot).

The new ones look well made and durable. But before i pull the trigger on-line, has anybody else got one in that range and can comment? Presently, I'm not considering the domestic ones, as I need the duty cycle and reliability. It has to be put to work immediately doing some taxing stuff.

Other brands? Would have to buy the accessories all over again, I suspect. But if commercial Karchers are truly pants (I suspect they aren't tho), Nilfisk or similar are an option.

TIA,

E.

PS: Karcher's price is way over the going rate - I'm a realist, not a millionaire!

PPS: *What's wrong with calling them Ernie and Fred - the whole range is stupid code numbers, which makes comparisons really awkward.

I have a Karcher commercial 800 series hot washer, which is similarly problematic. Truth is, users of commercial machines like this, only maintain them when they break. I am waiting for the Karcher engineer, but in the meantime bought a Nilfisk pro machine (not hot wash or steam) and I like it. The hose is a lot more manageable and has a reel.

I know you're looking at commercial/industrial machines EtV, but IF it's of any help at all I have both a Kaercher shop vac and a Kaercher high pressure washer. The Vac is at least 10 years old and has never given me a moments trouble, and the high press washer is about 5 or 6 years old but is generally used only about twice a year for about 2 hours max at a time. I repeat that both these are domestic models but so far, apart from the price, I'm very pleased with both and don't regret buying either.

But nigh on (was it 800 or 700 quid? I forget) for the model you linked to is to me a lot of dosh. You too I guess! MUST it be an industrial machine for your needs? I GUESS the only real big difference would be duty cycle?

Why not a cheapo Kaercher (looks like) from Aldi with a 3 year guarantee for, if I remember, less than 100 quid equivalent? Even if it breaks every 6 months you'd still be ahead of the game remembering their no quibble policy.

Domestic models tend to make do with aluminium and plastic pump components. I'd prefer the brass cylinder head as in the model you linked to.
Have no experience comparing K'archer to others, but K'archer or Nilfisk is where I'd pretty much start and end. Both have been in the game for a while. I have commercial grade vacuums from both and both are pretty decent.
Nilfisk manufacture products for quite a number of other companies and brands and have some top end products. Worth checking out.

Thanks chaps.

I've bought the model I was looking at, but for a much better price* than Karcher's UK web site. I also bought the adapter to let me use my existing hoses, etc. This is very handy as I have things like drain-jetting kit and extension high-pressure hoses that would be very expensive to buy new again. And my old lance has a pressure gauge built into the handle, which is convenient. The new one doesn't seem to.

It's got a brass pump (triple piston I think - certainly hope so for the price!), and is rated for continuous use, and it's slightly more powerful than the old one. It's being hand-delivered from Sussex to Bristol tomorrow morning(!), which is especially handy as it gives me the chance to ask questions.

The only significant change I can see is that the detergent is sucked from the can via a tube, rather than put into a tank on the machine.

Regarding the really cheap ("disposable?") ones, they fail the test on two counts:

1. I try only to buy maintainable tools now as it's greener and probably cheaper long-term, and

2. they're just not very good. I've watched my neighbour struggling to clean his path with one (from a DIY shed). I have to be careful to avoid damaging concrete with the old one!

So we'll see. The reviews are good, along the lines of "This replaces one I had for 20 years, and so far it's excellent..." It's too new a design to be time proven, but you have to hope they've got feedback on the older kit. It's also rated to highish temperature water (60deg C), and I found that running the old one (temporarily) from the hot tap was quite effective.

Thanks again for the thoughts,

E.

*just shy of 500 quid, delivered. Adaptor to older hoses was 20.

Quick update:

It was personally delivered yesterday, bang on time, from Trafalgar Cleaning, who seem excellent and helpful (and very keen on price).

It's much bigger than the old one, but looks excellent quality. Haven't been able to play yet, but probably will over the next few days. Only points of nervousness are that I can't presently dial-down the pressure, and that the detergent inlet isn't adjustable (either sucking or not). Otherwise it seems better made than the old one, and I have an adapter for all the old accessories. The current commercial units have a multi-start thread on all the hose/lance fittings - quick and easy. The actual pressure coupler is otherwise exactly the same, which is encouraging. This one has a concrete graffiti-removal setting, basically sandblasting it off. I have a similar one for the old machine, but the new arrangement looks a bit better thought out, although an accessory is necessary to make it functional.

Will report back when I run it...

Latest posts

Back