Power tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonthepom

Reaction score
As a newbie wanting to take up woodworking as a hobby I would appreciate advise as to which power tool would be most useful.I have limited space and budget but was thinking on the lines of router(and table),table saw or planer-thicknesser etc., your thoughts please.
Cheers
John

I doubt there is a right or wrong answer to this (well maybe not planer thicknesser as a first buy) but you need to determine where your focus /interest is - e.g turning, furniture, boxes, garden/rustic etc.....

Without knowing that, I would say (my personal choice):
1. bandsaw - basic on ebay with a few blades. If funds are tight, a jigsaw instead.
2. clone router (e.g £20-£30 one) and a plate to fit into a home made table Probably a cheap set of cutters if bundled, or better invest in good quality but fewer cutters - that's the bit that actually makes the impression in the wood.

But remember, until you gain the skills, power tools will just help you make the mistakes quicker!

I know when I started out and by necessity did everything by hand the purchase of a basic bandsaw made all the difference.

Now wait for the posts that between them list everything :) There is no right answer!

Dave

A Good book is what you should get first.

I recommend the collins encyclopedia of woodworking, can be found on ebay and amazon marketplace. It has a great section on all the power tools and their common functions.

Also, don't discount hand-tools. I would personally invest in a good set of measuring and marking tools before thinking about any powertools

ByronBlack":27h5wd5v said:
I would personally invest in a good set of measuring and marking tools before thinking about any powertools

As an utter novice I'd agree with this statement 100%. ALL the mistakes I've made have been due to bad measuring or inaccurate marking.

I agree that a good book on the subject and some decent marking and measuring tools are essential first purchases. I started off with cheap power tools and found that by buying quality accessories such as higher performance router cutters and better quality saw blades, it didn't matter so much that the power tools weren't brilliant as long as they were running true (after quite a bit of tweaking) the cut was perfectly good.

As a newbie woodworker, it is very easy to become overwhelmed by all the stuff available, most of which probably isn't needed.

Buy power tools as you need them.
My order of preference would be:
1) drill.
2) handheld circular saw.
3) router
4) chisels

Then look at things like bandsaws, table saw, planner/thicknesser etc etc etc.
You can achieve a lot with a handheld circular saw and a straight edge to cut against.

Jack Plane":3lqfyiby said:
As a newbie woodworker, it is very easy to become overwhelmed by all the stuff available, most of which probably isn't needed.

Most of us have it though, and the day you don't have it is when you need it :D

Phil

filsgreen":14gmmi6n said:
Most of us have it though, and the day you don't have it is when you need it :D

Phil

I thought the day you needed it happened the day after you sold it or scrapped it..

Buy tools as you need them. You will want the most important tools of the lot to begin with and thats a work bench. I only have a limited amount of space, so have folding trestles and a 44mm think off-cut of a fire door with a vice mounted on top. I also have a workmate bench.

Hand tools, are essentially what you need, but power tools help speed up the processes. I have a bandsaw, drill, router, jigsaw, planer and circular saw.

I seem to get by in an 8x6ft shed ...... :roll:

The most annoying thing about this forum at times is , not every member likes to disclose where the are !
Why, you ask. Well we "oldies" have all now upgraded our tools at some time or other but not thrown away the rejects. I have starter routers, a circular saw and sanders that I could easily donate to a "starter", if I knew what part of the country he was based.

Rant over, Koolwabbit

Thanks all,much food for thought,I have a selection of hand tools mostly inherited from my late father-in-law some are past there sell by date and need replacing along with some decent marking and measuring tools.
John

Back