Power tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike spark

Reaction score
Hello to everyone, i have seen this forum mentioned over on the screwfix form, so i thought i would give it a go.

I need some advice regarding power tools.

First

Is the dewalt 712 mitre sliding mitre saw, ok for cutting skirting, mouldings,edgeing, etc?

Second

Does anyone know if the bosch GFF2AA biscuit jointer is any good?

Third

What are the basics to using a biscuit jointer?
Do you rim down the biscuit depending on the material thickness you are joining?
How do you know what biscuit sizes to use?
Is there are general rule for biscuit sizes, depth of biscuit joints, etc?

Sorry if my questions seem stupid but i am a electrician not a carpenter.

mike

That Dewalt 712 looks like it would do pretty much anything you would ask though when I looked at one it seemed very bulky. I keep a Dewalt 707 in my van for site work it's much more compact and there isn't much difference in capacities. It's about £230 these days, cheaper too. The 712 will make trenching cuts though if you are thinking about some joinery, tenons etc. The Dewalt mitre saws now usually have a pin you can pullout to let the bevel cuts go past 45' which is indispensible for skirting mitres which are 'over square'.
I believe the biscuit size can be governed by making a cut into the face of material where if you used too big a size the cutter could go right through the thickness and break out thru the other side whereas cutting into an edge you could set your machine to use any size biscuit you want. The depth is set on the machine which allows different amounts of the chord of the blade to protrude when the machine is depressed, so setting depth.
Don't know about the Bosch jointer but mine is a basic Freud one bought when it was about the cheapest available and I have never seen the need for a mega dear one for the occasional use it gets, other people may disagree.
Regards
Andy

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forum.:D

I cannot comment on the dewalt, it will be miles better than my cheepo B&Q one. :oops:

Andy has explained biscuits, there is a stop which you set for the different sizes, they are all the same thickness. I also have a cheap Ferm jointer from Screwfix, its not use that much and seems to be OK. However if I were using the jointer everyday I would look at the better quality (higher price) ones.

Hi Mike, welcome to the forum. Although I do not have the Dewalt 712, I do have the 718 and that is an excellent piece of kit, as are most Dewalt power tools.

As for the Bosch biscuit jointer, I do have that model and IMHO it is very, very good, and well worth buying.

HTH

Cheers

Mike

Back