posting wood to australia?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevebuk

Established Member
Reaction score
hi
i have been asked by a few folks if i will cut and send items to australia, has anyone here done this before or would i have to contact customs about it? Any help gratefully received..

Hi Steve

A neighbour went to Oz to see his brother and was told not to take his pencils (for sketching) as they would be confiscated by customs, apparently taking any wood into the country is a no no!

BH

Hi Steve. I have family in Australia and when they were over here they took several items I had made back with them and they had no problems at all. More recently I have sent items out there in Jiffy bags and again no problems with the post office or the customs.

Thanks Roger, i must admit there is a section that mentioned the prohibited pencils:

Pencils and paintbrushes with a coating that contains excess amounts of toxic compounds such as lead, arsenic and barium.

This is similar to what they require, so finger crossed..

Attachments

• notesgeorge-01.jpg
    notesgeorge-01.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 657
Hi Steve
I have seen a program on telly called "Nothing to Declare" about Aussie customs and to the best of my knowledge (for what it's worth!!!!) if the wood is treated it's ok but if there is an issue, they can freeze it, at a cost, to kill any mould that might be in the wood. The Aussies are pretty sticky about their Border control, could you try emailing the customs?
Regards
Brendan

This year a friend took back four of my tissue boxes to Sydney Australia and declared them at the correct customs section, no problem.

I also had to post one to Perth W.A. no problem arrived 5 days later total cost £10.60.

I suspect it depends on what part of the world parts were despatched from regarding importation, UK appears acceptable.

Australia has a large and important agricultural sector. They are VERY serious
about keeping desease and pests out.

You're even checked on internal flights, let alone when you land
from an international one.

BugBear

I sent something I cut to Kalgoorlie and it got there with no problem, though to be fair, the package simply said it was a gift and the person it went to never mentioned whether it had been opened.

I've also sent portraits I cut to China and Russia and they got there in one piece, which was a shock to all concerned, especially if you have seen the video on youtube of how parcels get treated in Russia. (hammer) :mrgreen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3CWkEZ_wiU

Never had a problem bringing in wooden articles but they to have to be declared and perhaps inspected. This is when arriving with the stuff at airports or off a ship. Postal might be different, never tried.
Bob H.

stevebuk":2etpk5k5 said:
hi
i have been asked by a few folks if i will cut and send items to australia, has anyone here done this before or would i have to contact customs about it? Any help gratefully received..

What sort of items would these be Steve..... Could you give a few examples?

WandrinAndy":319vbm3a said:
stevebuk":319vbm3a said:
hi

What sort of items would these be Steve..... Could you give a few examples?

This is one thing they have asked for..

Attachments

• notesgeorge-01.jpg
    notesgeorge-01.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 108

Latest posts

Back