Vacuum Pump recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaydee

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all.
I want to use a vacuum chuck on my lathe. Does anyone have a recommendation for a vacuum pump. I’ve seen vacuum generators that use compressed air. But was wondering about how a vacuum pump compared.
All thoughts gratefully received.

Hi all.
I want to use a vacuum chuck on my lathe. Does anyone have a recommendation for a vacuum pump. I’ve seen vacuum generators that use compressed air. But was wondering about how a vacuum pump compared.
All thoughts gratefully received.
If you have a look on eBay etc, various old ones turn up quite cheaply. Mine is ancient but does the job. You don't need a very strong vacuum for a chuck, so the air compressor version may be sufficient. If you want to use it for resin at any point, the deeper vacuum a pump produces would be useful.

IMG_20231110_200803_384.jpg

70-80 years old and still doing fine!

In brief:
Vacuum generators require an air compressor to be running. Noisy, and can use a lot of electricity but should be able to generate near enough 100% vacuum, not that that is necessary or always desirable for a vacuum chuck.

Rotary vane vacuum pumps are generally quiet and small and don't need oil. Can be bought cheaply on ebay, amazon etc. Will run continuously and can generate a vacuum of around 85% - suitable for vacuum chucks but, as stated above, not ideal for resin in vacuum pots.

Reciprocating vacuum pumps (commonly used by refrigeration engineers) generally cost more, need oil, but are quiet and perfectly happy running continuously for 24 hours or more. 100% vacuum makes them suitable for pretty much everything. Can be found second hand in the usual places but generally pretty expensive new (Google Robinair).

Size is not a major factor but most commercially available chucking systems seem to be rated at around 8cbm/hr = 4.5CFM. Less than that will still work but may take time to build up the vacuum.
Similarly, many sources tend to say that a minimum 70% vacuum is necessary.

I made my own rotary adaptor and chucks but hopewoodturning.co.uk is a good starting point for buying them.

Paul Hannaby, oneway.ca, vacuumchuck.com, docgreenwoodturner.com are just some of the many sources of info out there.

FWIW, I made my system more for fun than anything else, but find myself using it far more than I expected, sometimes even with the chucks just used as convenient jam chucks without the pump running.

Duncan

Don't know what sort of pressure you need, but I used an old fridge pump on my vacuum bags for epoxy covered model aircraft wings.

I use the compressor from a fridge (connected in reverse) for my vacuum chamber used to get the bubbles out of resin etc. It gets down to below 0.1 bar vacuum, which is plenty.

I got it from a fridge that was advertised "free to collect" on Gumtree.

Officially you should have the CFC gas removed by a licensed reclaiming/disposal firm, but if you clamp the tubes near the compressor before cutting them and then seal the radiator ends the amount of CFC gas that escapes is minimal.

In use, once the pressure is low enough I use a small gas (North Sea type) ball valve from the plumbers merchant to hold it so the pump is not overworked.

Back