Post your Workshop Thread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, this is both a question and a suggestion.

I apologies if there is already such a thread, and I've not found it, but how about a 'Post your workshop' show thread. Perhaps pinned in the Projects forum. Other forums have such threads, for example Hard forum's 'Post your workstation" yearly threads. The thread would be for members to post pictures, perhaps a brief explanation of their workshops, maybe a list of equipment and a link to a thread detailing the build if they have one. Discussion of the posts would have to be on another threat or via PM. The idea being that there would be a single thread with a catalog of members workshops that people could peruse for inspiration or envy.

Again, I've not found such a thread, apologies if I have just not looked hard enough or if such a thread does not exist for a reason.

M

Sheptonphil":24v69xu8 said:
Not a thread like projects and workshop tours, projects-workshop-tours.html

Phil

Don't get me wrong, I'm forever blowing that forum, but my thinking is of a thread that is just dedicated to pictures. Any member that wants to can post some pics of their workshop, a writeup maybe. Then the next member posts up their shop.

These threads on other forums are examples of what I mean:

https://hardforum.com/threads/post-your ... 6.1887080/

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php ... 2&page=335

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/sho ... df6faa4569

sorry mate this is Mainly pensioner forum where no1 wants to show their goodies in fear of being robbed.

owsnap":hsr1b52a said:
sorry mate this is Mainly pensioner forum where no1 wants to show their goodies in fear of being robbed.
What does age have to do with not wanting to be robbed ? I'd say it's common sense. Perhaps we don't need a thread where it's a willy waving contest ! I think that's your most rude/ignorant comment so far. If you've nothing constructive to say, then why say anything .

Coley

It could get daft

If I wanted to impress folks via my internet personna, I could find other people's pictures on the internet and pass them off as my own achievements.

Similar to how Fishing Guy Jim's (in Ontario Canada) photo has been used :roll:

Regards
Nearly a pensioner, but not yet senile.

lurker":20i9gzkk said:
If I wanted to impress folks via my internet persona, I could find other people's pictures on the internet and pass them off as my own achievements.

Just like I do with my willy pics. :oops:

Chaps, this isn't about impressing anyone, I like looking through the workshop build threads. But rather that having to trawl through all the pages to find the best picsor the pics of the completed shop I thought it might be an idea for a thread containing them all that could be easily browsed. Then if I see a workshop that interests me I, or has an idea or feature I like, I could follow the link to the build thread to read more. Plenty of other forum have threads like this and they are usually some of the longest running and most popular threads.

I'm not suggesting you post your bank details or the location of grandmothers pearls, if fact I'm not suggesting anyone should post anything that already isn't already in a build thread anyway. I'm talking about consolidating them into an ordered and easily browsable catalogue. Like the thread on the home made hand tool builds, or tool restoration.

And if you really don't want to expose your secret lair to the world, just don't post, it's not mandatory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The way I see it Steve Maskery has won, and a worthy winner too.

Pete

ColeyS1":pxe8fqnt said:
owsnap":pxe8fqnt said:
What does age have to do with not wanting to be robbed ? I'd say it's common sense. Perhaps we don't need a thread where it's a willy waving contest ! I think that's your most rude/ignorant comment so far. If you've nothing constructive to say, then why say anything .

Coley

Sadly he has said worse. #-o

Hi DM,
Thanks for the suggestion.
As mentioned, projects-workshop-tours.html forum already covers that area albeit along with the others mentioned in the title. If we added another forum for every suggestion there would be pages of titles to choose from.
May I suggest that anyone that wishes to show their workshop etc carry on doing so in the above forum and if one's really keen to show it off then just add a link to it in your signature (via the user control panel).

NEV, I don't think he's after an entire forum, just a thread. so 1 place with lots and lots of pictures that you cans scroll through for hours without having to click in to each thread.

bit like readers wifes but with more dirty pictures (of sawdust covered machines you filthy minded individual).

Just a personal opinion Danger_Mouse, but what's the point (apart from saving some browsing time)? I know that a picture is worth a thousand words and all that, but if I, or anyone else posts just pix of their shop, what's to learn from that? IMHO, very little, unless, as has already been suggested, it'll become a contest to find out who's got the biggest and shiny-est (or the most) whatsits?

People already post pix of their shops together with explanations of, for example, why the layout is like that, what machines are used, and where, what wiring, etc, etc, etc. Personally I find such posts both far more useful, informative, and entertaining than just a collection of apparently random pix of shops.

Without being rude, I can't see why, if you're interested in peoples' shops, you can't be bothered to "plough through" what's already there (and will come in future).

Don't want to sound like a "NIH" nitwit, especially as you're a newcomer here, but personally I don't get your point at all, sorry.

AES

I was surprised to find a lot of good workshop stuff on pinterest, apparently its not all knitting patterns and recipes! :lol:

Back