Post a photo of the last thing you turned

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Part 2
Because the wood was relatively dry, the ‘Kiln Gods’ were good to me . However, if you want to ensure cracks will not develop, you need to check your piece regularly.....and a good job I did!Three incipient cracks had started to develop from the centre of an included pith. Because, the wood was part of a lower Leylandii trunk the grain was all over the place. So a few drops of CA glue, stopped any crack progression.

I left the piece in the wood kiln for 3 days, before taking it out and mounting the piece back on the lathe. Again, because the wood was so dry initially, there are been virtually no ‘warpage’, so quite easy to get it back into round.

Predominantly, on most of my pieces I aim for a finish that resembles the touch and feel of Glass. That meant working through the grits up to 800. I applied two coats of sanding sealer, one coat of my own abrasive polish (based on Diatomaceous Earth, Linseed oil and Beeswax). I then applied 2 coats of Wood Wax 22 and a single coat of Microcrystalline wax.

Finally, I then had to remove the Tenon, but from the photos you will see that my existing spigots on my home made Cole Jaw could not touch the curved walls of the bowl. So I made 8 extended spigots, which worked out quite well.

So if you ever get the opportunity of working with Leylandii, have a go. It can be free and may be used for a number of projects. Don’t be put off by the stories of resin everywhere, any resin normally forms at the bark/sapwood edge , forming small bubbles which can be brushed off.

Attachments

• 20240212_104831.jpg
    20240212_104831.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240212_105157.jpg
    20240212_105157.jpg
  • 20240214_125531.jpg
    20240214_125531.jpg
  • 20240214_134037.jpg
    20240214_134037.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240214_140735.jpg
    20240214_140735.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240214_143728.jpg
    20240214_143728.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240214_143737.jpg
    20240214_143737.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Stig,
I looked like Michelin man, but was still frozen to the marrow. Mind you, it was -8.C.
Ahhh, then put 2 jumpers on 🤪🤪🤪🤪
I have a little fan heater I put on whilst I'm out there if it's too cold, I also don't leave it unattended whilst it's on or for half hour after I turn it off.

I too have a small fan heater and I only run it for a few minutes on first going into the shed. I have a sleeveless body warmer that works a treat.

Some great stuff on here.
I have but one question.
How are you managing to work in the current weather?
I went in my workshop 3 weeks ago, and, due to the cold, lasted 30 minutes before retreating to my warm house!!!!
Turn the central heating up 😆

Ja, it's metal, but it is intended to be used for my first endeavour at spinning metal on the wood lathe- to be used for rounding the edge.

So does it count X2 or not at all?

Attachments

• IMG_1541.JPG
    IMG_1541.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 0
Part 2
Because the wood was relatively dry, the ‘Kiln Gods’ were good to me . However, if you want to ensure cracks will not develop, you need to check your piece regularly.....and a good job I did!Three incipient cracks had started to develop from the centre of an included pith. Because, the wood was part of a lower Leylandii trunk the grain was all over the place. So a few drops of CA glue, stopped any crack progression.

I left the piece in the wood kiln for 3 days, before taking it out and mounting the piece back on the lathe. Again, because the wood was so dry initially, there are been virtually no ‘warpage’, so quite easy to get it back into round.

Predominantly, on most of my pieces I aim for a finish that resembles the touch and feel of Glass. That meant working through the grits up to 800. I applied two coats of sanding sealer, one coat of my own abrasive polish (based on Diatomaceous Earth, Linseed oil and Beeswax). I then applied 2 coats of Wood Wax 22 and a single coat of Microcrystalline wax.

Finally, I then had to remove the Tenon, but from the photos you will see that my existing spigots on my home made Cole Jaw could not touch the curved walls of the bowl. So I made 8 extended spigots, which worked out quite well.

So if you ever get the opportunity of working with Leylandii, have a go. It can be free and may be used for a number of projects. Don’t be put off by the stories of resin everywhere, any resin normally forms at the bark/sapwood edge , forming small bubbles which can be brushed off.
Question I've not got a cole jaw yet but looking at the photos I ask myself if the original spigots could have been put in the interior and expanded outwards to have held your gorgeous bowl in place

I had a smallish spalted Sycamore blank in the shed that I got fed up of looking at it, so yesterday afternoon I set about it.

In my opinion, it has too much spalting, I think it just looks too busy?

There may have been a few curse words here and there, mainly due to the soft spots in the wood (and bug holes), making it difficult for me to get a reasonable finish with my bowl gouge. I found that I was becoming quite adept at making spirals! 🤔 Thanks to my Crown Cryo square end scraper and some very light angled scrapes, I eventually got the surface looking somewhat reasonable.

This inside didn't turn too badly, but despite very delicate touches, it seems to have thrown up some slight wavy ridges, only in a couple of places though. Odd.

Anyway, here it is with the crazy spalting.

20240216_153031.jpg

20240216_153203.jpg

20240216_153236.jpg

So I wanted to try something different, here I took a beech bowl blank and some panga panga and made a new blank, with a simplistic design an produced this bowl/platter....

Padster

Attachments

• IMG_3481.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3482.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3483.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
NIce bowl, I did a shallow maple one recently with similarly interesting grain and figuring. You never really know what you've got until the cutting starts.

Thinking about bottoms. I used to leave a wide shallow mortice, sometimes decorated with grooves. Then I got persuaded that it wasn't 'the thing' , heaven forbid that a bowl made on a lathe should have any sign that it was ever attached to a lathe. So I started to use a tenon, reverse it and cut it off to get finished flat bottoms like yours.

Last week I had a couple of bowls I've been using for a long time to serve my nuts and crunchy things and they were looking a bit shabby inside - I know, I'll pop them back on the lathe and re-polish them. No 1 went well, it had moved a bit but I had no intention of using tools, just abrasives, great. No 2 - no mortice, bother. Hand sand, polish with buffer. Much less satisfying.

So I'm going back to the old ways. Makes you think.

NIce bowl, I did a shallow maple one recently with similarly interesting grain and figuring. You never really know what you've got until the cutting starts.

Thinking about bottoms. I used to leave a wide shallow mortice, sometimes decorated with grooves. Then I got persuaded that it wasn't 'the thing' , heaven forbid that a bowl made on a lathe should have any sign that it was ever attached to a lathe. So I started to use a tenon, reverse it and cut it off to get finished flat bottoms like yours.

Last week I had a couple of bowls I've been using for a long time to serve my nuts and crunchy things and they were looking a bit shabby inside - I know, I'll pop them back on the lathe and re-polish them. No 1 went well, it had moved a bit but I had no intention of using tools, just abrasives, great. No 2 - no mortice, bother. Hand sand, polish with buffer. Much less satisfying.

So I'm going back to the old ways. Makes you think.
Sounds like a perfect job for a vacuum chuck. Paul Hannaby has a great section on his website about them. Another project on my to do list

Back