Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John Brown":3ltsa6nk said:
Very nice, but 15 spices? Do you get the bible and the complete works of Shakespeare thrown in?
I suggested eight or ten but the customer (my son) wanted fifteen. C'est la guerre :D - Rob

Alright. Calm down. I'm introducing shed style woodwork solutions.
I know. Some of you will think my dobtales are not up to scratch.
But it's the last thing made and more than that. It increases my joy in life exponentially by surround sound. And it was free.
Years ago. I was young and free and had a good ish stereo. Then kids. Moving of houses. Life.
The stereo got boxed up and stayed that way for 7 years.
Well. No more. I don't have room or time in the house so I dug it out of the eaves and opened some boxes.
Made a dust cage from a bed sheet I may or may not have snaffled from my own house. :D That Arcam dock is new old as is the loose cable that I can plug into my phone and play internet music drekly to my old fashioned separates. Who knew?

QSPqSST.jpg

Need to hash a front cover with more cloth. Hot glue, scraps and magnets.

I had 2 wall mounted stands originally with two floor stands. The floor stands were given away years ago.
Not ideal but two corners sorted acoustically.

4h0s0yn.jpg

I needed a cheap solution to total sound. No money for stands these days.
DBUZ4fC.jpg

va687YB.jpg

NhbRbjO.jpg

I shut the shed door and turned it up for a short while. Played Jeff Buckley. Hallelujah. Loud.
Proper moment. 8)
I'll make some dust covers for the speakers using the rest of tha bed sheet.
All speakers centred on the middle of the shed to my bench.
Might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb.
No regrets.
The music.

8)
Cheers
Chris

Bm101 - if that's a log cabin, be careful fixing components across multiple "logs" as seasonal movement will cause problems.

My cabin varies significantly in height between hot summer and winter, and constraining that movement is asking for trouble...

Thanks Setch. I'll take 2 screws out on both sides so it's just hanging on 2.

2 and a half years in the making. Started and had to put the project down. Finally finished all the wood working and half glazed the glasshouse. Ordered the glass for the roof and front windows last summer but never got round to fitting them.

Made from Western Red Cedar and finished with Linseed Oil Paint. Needs a final top coat once it's all glazed.

Now completed but waiting for lockdown to be lifted so I can order the rest of the glass and start growing.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-05-06 at 10.43.32.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-05-06 at 10.43.32.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 89
So. I was supposed to be in France on the bike this week with a group of mates, free of SWMBO as she won't get on the back of it :D
Didn't cancel the annual leave I'd booked as I need a break.
A little parcel arrived from china with a small live centre that I'd forgotten I'd ordered as it was so long ago. Took a few hours for the grey matter to remember why I'd bought it. Ah hah, I was going to use it on the pillar drill so I could do a bit of playing. Sort of turning but using a Shinto rasp, files and sandpaper. Fairly pleased with what came out, and that the pillar drill bearings survived the abuse, it's an Aldi special, many years old but still going strong.

One Beech, one Cherry. A bit of brass I had lurking in the shed and an old sabre saw blade.

Attachments

• IMG_20200506_144605259.jpg
    IMG_20200506_144605259.jpg
    734.3 KB · Views: 226
garethharvey":1oa2ugl2 said:
2 and a half years in the making. Started and had to put the project down. Finally finished all the wood working and half glazed the glasshouse. Ordered the glass for the roof and front windows last summer but never got round to fitting them.

Made from Western Red Cedar and finished with Linseed Oil Paint. Needs a final top coat once it's all glazed.

Now completed but waiting for lockdown to be lifted so I can order the rest of the glass and start growing.

That is quite something. I use metal hoops and plastic - poly tunnels work, but they're not pretty.

That looks fabulous, Gareth. Did you consider doing the traditional thing with smaller sheets of glazing overlapping, and with a curved lower edge?

Wife wanted a sign for a garden in our village she is turning into a wild flower border. Found an old log, cut through at an angle using a hand saw. Planed flat and then used a hand held trimmer to engrave freehand following a paper template. Not sure how long it will last, that split looks ominous, may put a metal band round to hold it together...
2652AC51-8082-4442-B220-A5D6B8D267EE.jpeg

Attachments

• 2652AC51-8082-4442-B220-A5D6B8D267EE.jpeg
    2652AC51-8082-4442-B220-A5D6B8D267EE.jpeg
    584.4 KB · Views: 210
Cornersruns":2upimgt0 said:
So. I was supposed to be in France on the bike this week with a group of mates, free of SWMBO as she won't get on the back of it :D
Didn't cancel the annual leave I'd booked as I need a break.
A little parcel arrived from china with a small live centre that I'd forgotten I'd ordered as it was so long ago. Took a few hours for the grey matter to remember why I'd bought it. Ah hah, I was going to use it on the pillar drill so I could do a bit of playing. Sort of turning but using a Shinto rasp, files and sandpaper. Fairly pleased with what came out, and that the pillar drill bearings survived the abuse, it's an Aldi special, many years old but still going strong.

One Beech, one Cherry. A bit of brass I had lurking in the shed and an old sabre saw blade.

If you made a base for the drill bed (is it called a bed?) with a bearing in it - you could put a (pointy) static end in that as well to potect the bearings and stop run out. - you could potentially make a sideways tool rest as well.

I did similar for my pillar drill sanding things - they have a bar going right through the middle chucked at the top and sits in a bearing at the bottom.

Just thought I'd mention it.

MikeG.":234cwoy1 said:
That looks fabulous, Gareth. Did you consider doing the traditional thing with smaller sheets of glazing overlapping, and with a curved lower edge?

To be honest, we didn't. We always wanted a victorian style glasshouse and these were the only types we liked.

We used 4mm toughened glass in single sheets, the smaller sheets are much thiner and we possibly would have struggles to source them in toughened. With the roof being to large, we thought toughened was the only option.

Just waiting for everything to be lifted so we can order the remaining glass.

It was the Victorians and the Edwardians who did the smaller over-lapping panes detail. They just couldn't get big enough sheets of glass to do an entire run down one side of a a roof in a single sheet. Here's the one I have modeled mine on:

tPd0h2W.jpg

MZGiJPd.jpg

cqGpSFP.jpg

There's no extra timberwork, just lapped panes of glass. I'll be starting ours sometime in the last 2 years. I promised.

MikeG.":33659m8k said:
It was the Victorians and the Edwardians who did the smaller over-lapping panes detail. They just couldn't get big enough sheets of glass to do an entire run down one side of a a roof in a single sheet. Here's the one I have modeled mine on:

There's no extra timberwork, just lapped panes of glass. I'll be starting ours sometime in the last 2 years. I promised.

That looks great. Is the roof glass head in with putty?

I look forward to seeing your glasshouse

Back