porkbelly/spare ribs today

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
My wife is still disabled at the present time with arthritis so I am on cooking duties.

This was originally a spare rib recipe but I prefer more meat around than supermarkets give on ribs so we use pork belly.

1w-6.jpg

2w-5.jpg

3w-6.jpg

4w-6.jpg

5w-6.jpg

Ingredients

pork belly or ribs

1 litre water

2 tablespoons of white or red vinegar

Put in pan bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes.

Sauce ingredients

1 tablespoon oil
1 onion
1 carrot
2 tablespoons white or red vinegar
2 tablespoons of soy sauce
2 tablespoons of brown sugar (demerara)
2 tablespoons of plum or apricot jam (or fruit from a tree)
2 TEASPOONS Worcester sauce
2 teaspoons of tomato puree
salt & Pepper.

Saute onions a carrot in oil for 5 minutes add remaining ingredients and cook for a further 10 minutes.

Put all ingredients in a casserole dish and bake in the oven for 30 minutes plus, turning frequently at 200C.

Serve on rice.

devonwoody":2d778d9m said:
Put all ingredients in a casserole dish and bake in the oven for 30 minutes plus, turning frequently at 200C.

Ooh - sugary recipe at 200°C. I bet the container is a lovely thing to clean after that!

BugBear

bugbear":ix2943ro said:
devonwoody":ix2943ro said:

Ooh - sugary recipe at 200°C. I bet the container is a lovely thing to clean after that!

BugBear

The liquid ingredients seem to keep it fluid, but I suppose if you left it too long in the oven you could finish up with toffee, good point tho.

Ohhhhhhhhhh, very attractive indeed! If I had lifted the pork ribs in Sainsbury's yesterday I could have made that tonight but... (don't tell anyone) I am going to McDonald's this evening and I'm very excited because I only go there about twice a year and I always enjoy it, yeah, even the McBurps and McCramps and McHunger twenty minutes later but it does taste nice.

Good advice mr grimsdale, after seeing the guy get fined and points for blowing his nose in his car I could end up in front of a firing squad for nicking a rib.

Brendan

devonwoody":1r4ted5j said:
bugbear":1r4ted5j said:
devonwoody":1r4ted5j said:

BugBear

The liquid ingredients seem to keep it fluid, but I suppose if you left it too long in the oven you could finish up with toffee, good point tho.

I was thinking of the area just above the liquid level, where the inevitable splashes (from simmering) burn on like sprouts! The main bulk (as you say) will be fine until it boils dry.

BugBear

bugbear":36fy2bct said:
devonwoody":36fy2bct said:
bugbear":36fy2bct said:
devonwoody":36fy2bct said:

BugBear

I was thinking of the area just above the liquid level, where the inevitable splashes (from simmering) burn on like sprouts! The main bulk (as you say) will be fine until it boils dry.

BugBear

Have no fear. voila at 16.42 out of the dishwasher or DW. :)

2010_0128porkbelly20021.jpg

I cooked pork belly strips yesterday - (I also have a much repaired arthritic wife).

I do them in the oven roasted but stand them up on edge to crisp up the backs for the last 15 mins. Makes an easy midweek roast dinner.

I also tried the 'hairy bikers' tip for crisp roast potatoes by coating them in a little semolina (ground durum wheat) but was underwhelmed by the results.

Bob

Bob,
When I do roasties, I par-boil first (as we all probably do) and then just run the tines of a fork over them to 'fluff-up' the outside of the spud.

When they are roasted, the little snaggly bits of spud crisp up a treat.
Lubberly-glub! Especially with pork belly.

John

BMac":39wwosaf said:
Good advice mr grimsdale, after seeing the guy get fined and points for blowing his nose in his car I could end up in front of a firing squad for nicking a rib.

Brendan

He's taking it to Court.

If he really was stationary with the handbrake on, there's no way the 'proper-control' aspect applies. Failing to have proper control of a vehicle is a 'Moving Traffic Offence'. (Subject to the breathalyser BTW) So the car has to be in motion.

If the CPS do decide on Prosecution, then any self-respecting Beak will practice common-sense. Maybe have the 'Officer' sent to a training centre for a refresher on the law. That's if the numbskull ever had any knowledge to to begin with.

John

:)

Benchwayze":12c45464 said:
Bob,
When I do roasties, I par-boil first (as we all probably do) and then just run the tines of a fork over them to 'fluff-up' the outside of the spud.

When they are roasted, the little snaggly bits of spud crisp up a treat.
Lubberly-glub! Especially with pork belly.

John

Yes I par-boil, drain, allow them to steam a while then hold the pan lid on whilst giving them a good shake. Near smoking hot fat too - helps make them crisp.
I just thought I'd try out the hairy bikers trick after seeing it on the box a couple of days back.

Bob

Back