Salt and vinegar with your plane sir? (#4 1/2 restoration)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sploo

Somewhat extinguished member
Reaction score
I recently spotted what looked to be a war production Stanley No 4 1/2 on fleaBay, and managed to get it for a very good price. There was a lot of rust. Here it is against my 1960s No 4 1/2:

20160125_211346.jpg

The blade, cap iron and frog were clearly very corroded, but it mostly appeared to be surface rust:

20160125_211524.jpg

20160125_211534.jpg

Stripped down however, the japanning looked to be in excellent condition (better than my 1960s version):

20160125_212954.jpg

I guess you can see what shape of frog the blade's been sitting on!:

20160125_213033.jpg

Being too cheap to buy a tub of Evapo-Rust, I came across a suggestion of using white vinegar with salt (apparently the salt increases the acidity). I thought I'd give it a go.

I couldn't find white vinegar in Tesco, but apparently distilled vinegar is similar (if usually a lower acidity). One 568ml bottle with 30 grams of salt was enough to submerge a number of rusty parts. I didn't want to risk the frog or sole as I understand it may affect the japanning.

Almost immediately I started to see some small bubbles:

20160125_220508.jpg

24 hours later... it didn't look any different (albeit with more bubbles):

20160126_205320.jpg

However, on taking the parts out and giving them a fairly gentle rub with 0000 steel wool the rust just wiped off. The heavily corroded Stanley stamp on the blade was easy to see (it was the sort of thing that might have partly been lost with heavy sanding). I turned the parts over and put them back in. 24 hours later it looked like this:

20160127_211026.jpg

I'm not too sure the next 24 hours did much TBH, but it doesn't look to have caused damage. I then washed the parts off and put them in ~568ml of water mixed with 30 grams of bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) and left them for 10 minutes. According to the instructions I found this will neutralise the acid and prevent the metal continuing to be attacked:

20160127_213410.jpg

I then rinsed the parts off, dried them with a paper towel, and put them in a fan oven at 50C for 5 minutes (I figured a bit of warm moving air would get them properly dry before any rust could develop).

Blade sharpened and cap iron polished:

20160129_141722.jpg

I used Liberon Rust Remover on the frog and sole, with several applications. That worked very well on the lateral adjustment lever. The frog face and sole were flattened on 120 grit paper (I temporarily put the plane together to flatten the sole). Note that these images seem to show blue spots on the sole - it's actually white highlights that have gone a strange colour (some oddity between my phone's camera and Adobe Lightroom):

20160129_173049.jpg

20160129_173157.jpg

20160129_204926.jpg

20160129_205220.jpg

20160129_205303.jpg

20160129_210110.jpg

I was going to replace the brass/plastic depth nut with a spare, but it's come up really nice so I might leave it (honing compound on a leather strop got it shiny). The handles look very good too, so I'm tempted to fix them up rather than use replacements as that'll keep the plane original.

Oh, the blade and cap iron were obviously given a liberal wipe with oil, as were all the screws and washers and lateral lever. The frog and sole got a couple of applications of Liberon Lubricating Wax.

The slightly thicker sole casting (see the final picture above) and plastic depth nut are indicative of a war model, though interestingly, it weighs a tiny bit less than my 1960s No 4 1/2 (approx 2.1kg vs 2.2kg).

I don't think it must have been used much (given the full length blade and japanning), and cuts now beautifully.

As for the salt and vinegar - I think it's worth using. It certainly saved some time, and it's obviously very cheap. I bought several bottles, thinking I'd need more. Lucky really, 'cause there's (what I'm hoping is) a pre-war No 4 making it's way to me in the post :wink:

Well done.
Just scrape off the rest of the laquer off the handle and knob, and use for the next 60+years!

Bod

That looks excellently restored, very nice work. Congrats on getting it for a good price.

sploo":14qfpdif said:
As for the salt and vinegar - I think it's worth using. It certainly saved some time, and it's obviously very cheap.
If you're after a low-cost rust remover you might want to experiment with molasses dissolved in water. That'll usually work out cheaper than vinegar, even if you're not buying it in small bottles but in 5 litre containers like I do :)

bugbear":2ztiq3f5 said:
w.r.t. threads on how to treat old/nice tools, I don't think museums ever use any rust removal process other than either pure "mechanical"
(aka rubbing scraping, picking of brushing) and the legend that is electrolysis.

BugBear
I've always previously gone for the mechanical approach, and as you need to flatten the sole and frog anyway (on abrasive paper) it means immersing them in a rust remover is probably not worth it (unless both were really bad).

I do think it was worth it for the blade though as I've previously started to damage the STANLEY stamp with heavy sanding.

Racers":1izmbac5 said:
I tend to Briwax everything.

Pete
For me:

If it moves (against another metal part): 3-in-1
If it slides (or is just generally in free air): Liberon lubricating wax

(though I do oil the blade and cap iron rather than waxing them)

Selwyn":2227wp85 said:
Coca cola is good apparently

It's great for cleaning up tarnished copper-based metals. Just don't drink the stuff....

Vinegar baths work for at least three items, though you get a rather nasty crispy crust and a sludge deposit. I haven't tried straining the rubbish out and using the vinegar a fourth time - even I'm not that much of a tightwad! It is a cheap method - Sarson's distilled malt vinegar costs about £1 for a 580ml bottle.

The bicarb. bath looks like a good trick too. I've used the 48 hour vinegar soak followed by a good rinse under a hot tap, thorough drying and then a wipe with oil. If the item isn't wiped with oil, flash rusting tends to happen, however thorough the rinse. Soaking for more than 48 hours may be counterproductive too - I tried it with a particularly rusty old-style centre bit, and after three days there was some quite severe pitting. It may have been there under the rust, but not to the post-soaking extent. (No real problem - the bit was almost certainly a scrapper anyway; I just wondered what could be achieved with a long soak.)

Nice job Sploo. With regards to the salt and vinegar bath I've been trying it out intermittently recently on various heavily rusted items. After a bit of thinking I also washed the cleaned items with a bicarb and water paste to negate the acid. I've been gathering bits of neglected scrap off jobs because I'd like to try the electrolysis route next after reading a fair few threads here. Workshop heaven are selling little 'tester'pots of rust inhibitor for a fiver, although you'll have to pay the post on top. Little goes a long way, dab it on then buff it (might or might not be of interest).

Anyway reason I post is Cheshire's post above. It triggered something I'd quite forgotten. Years ago we were given an antique brass bedstead. It had been hanging in the open loft space of a removal company for many years and was very tarnished. I tried all sorts of polishes, methods to bring it up but nothing would touch it. I put polishing pads and all sorts in the drill. Nothing. Then one day I was chatting with an old fella at work and he suggested brown sauce. It's the acid in the sauce that provides the same effect as the vinegar obviously. The bonus with the brown sauce is that if you have a large area (like an ornate bedstead) that is awkward to dip/ soak, the sauce can be applied direct.
The disadvantages are that you may never eat brown sauce again if you've been painting it onto a bedstead for 3 hours. Luckily I got my Mrs to do it lol. You just need to wipe it off after. It can have a slight dulling effect on the brass but as I remember its not as pronounced as vinegar with steel and polishes up easier and certainly better than the original.
I only put it here because I've never seen it mentioned on UKW (as far as I know) and it might possibly help someone out.
As a side note, if you frequent a pub and they are cleaning the brass and sighing, get your self a free pint by betting the landlord/lady you can do it easier and quicker than they can with no effort. When they don't believe you they'll take the bet, when it works to their amazement, they'll be more than happy to slip you a pint or two. Lemons work wonder on copper bar tops too!

Anyway, nice job.

http://imgur.com/a/yvrb2

*quick edit, can anyone explain why the polished back of a spokeshave blade blackened using the vinegar method? I polished the bottom quarter inch of an old blade then did the derust on the rest of it. The polished part of the back came out distinctly black compared to the rest of the blade which I cleaned up after. Doesn't affect the use, I just wondered if anyone could explain. Cheers.

Cheshirechappie":1toupgui said:
Selwyn":1toupgui said:
Coca cola is good apparently

It's great for cleaning up tarnished copper-based metals. Just don't drink the stuff....

Vinegar baths work for at least three items, though you get a rather nasty crispy crust and a sludge deposit. I haven't tried straining the rubbish out and using the vinegar a fourth time - even I'm not that much of a tightwad! It is a cheap method - Sarson's distilled malt vinegar costs about £1 for a 580ml bottle.

The bicarb. bath looks like a good trick too. I've used the 48 hour vinegar soak followed by a good rinse under a hot tap, thorough drying and then a wipe with oil. If the item isn't wiped with oil, flash rusting tends to happen, however thorough the rinse. Soaking for more than 48 hours may be counterproductive too - I tried it with a particularly rusty old-style centre bit, and after three days there was some quite severe pitting. It may have been there under the rust, but not to the post-soaking extent. (No real problem - the bit was almost certainly a scrapper anyway; I just wondered what could be achieved with a long soak.)

I was going to mention about not drinking Coke...

From what I've read, the vinegar will attack rust, but it'd need a fairly long time to really damage metal. I.e. if you see pitting, it was because it was rusty.

With a bit of a polish with steel wool, the metal parts (the plate at the back of the frog, and the various bolts) all came up really shiny (from having quite a lot of surface rust). Cross fingers the bicarbonate worked - it seems logical.

Bm101":1toupgui said:
*quick edit, can anyone explain why the polished back of a spokeshave blade blackened using the vinegar method? I polished the bottom quarter inch of an old blade then did the derust on the rest of it. The polished part of the back came out distinctly black compared to the rest of the blade which I cleaned up after. Doesn't affect the use, I just wondered if anyone could explain. Cheers.
I noticed this on the back of the blade. I recall reading something about Evapo-Rust, where the black dust was (IRC) claimed to be converted rust. As to why only part was affected, I believe that not all the blade will be hardened, so maybe that affects how it behaves.

No time to sort out photos tonight, but a very nice looking #4 turned up today. I'd have definitely put it pre-war, but the back of the blade is stamped 1943 (the first time I've seen a date on a blade). Anyway, the same set of parts have gone into another chip shop condiment bath, and the frog and sole are getting the Liberon Rust Remover treatment.

Bm101":v8hc3h97 said:
...can anyone explain why the polished back of a spokeshave blade blackened using the vinegar method? I polished the bottom quarter inch of an old blade then did the derust on the rest of it. The polished part of the back came out distinctly black compared to the rest of the blade which I cleaned up after.
I've noticed this effect on items I've had in the citric acid bath. It seems that the acid has a different effect on hardened steel (blacker) than on softer steel.

You can tell how far up an iron or chisel blade has been hardened. Also helps identify laminated blades.

Cheers, Vann.

ED65":3s6b12ne said:
If you're after a low-cost rust remover you might want to experiment with molasses dissolved in water.

+1

I've used molasses to clean entire vintage VW Type 1 engines and body parts with superb results.

Cheshirechappie":289qzxi3 said:
Soaking for more than 48 hours may be counterproductive too - I tried it with a particularly rusty old-style centre bit, and after three days there was some quite severe pitting. It may have been there under the rust, but not to the post-soaking extent. (No real problem - the bit was almost certainly a scrapper anyway; I just wondered what could be achieved with a long soak.)
I don't know if it's true for every case but from what I've observed myself and from various reading I think this is revealed heavy pitting and not localised eating away of the metal by the acid.

I do think it's a good idea not to soak in vinegar for too long anyway though, since it's very prone to etching the surface which can be a PITA to deal with if it bothers you and you want it gone.

Bm101":1gzwg0iy said:
-brown sauce- I only put it here because I've never seen it mentioned on UKW (as far as I know) and it might possibly help someone out.
You can get a similar using ketchup :) Although some people swear brown sauce works better I'm sure it'll be something that varies brand by brand. I've used ketchup soaking to clean brass or bronze parts myself a few times, never tried it on rust that I can recall but I shall add it to the list.

Bm101":1gzwg0iy said:
This can be partly due to the orientation of the part in the vinegar, I often notice that you get darker buildup more easily on the understides so I've taken to cleaning off the gunk in stages and putting parts back to soak in a different orientation each time.

Back