vegetable bake today

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
My final lunch duty this week (four days a week)

Is a casserole again prepared the same way as earlier this week but with a portion of irate person from those frequent sale offers in supermarkets of irate person joints (genuine half price).

irate person cooked for five minutes with a portion of fat and removed from pan after 5 minutes.

2010_0121cooking0004.jpg

onion and celery added to pan for 4 minutes.

2010_0121cooking0008.jpg

Meat returned to pan with above, 2 tablespoons of flour added to make the roue, some dried herbs (no garlic in our house) and finally 3/4 pint vegetable stock and cooked for one hour, and some butter beans added the last 5 minutes from a tin.

2010_0121cooking0009.jpg

vegetables to be grated

2010_0121cooking0011.jpg

The above vegetables are grated (not the beans) butter and a dry oxo vegetable cube added which are then stir fried for 5 minutes.

They are placed on top of the meat casserole and baked in the oven for around half an hour.

2010_0121cooking0014.jpg

It could go under the grill for an extra few minutes if you prefer as well.

Edit typos and spellings corrected

You have not lost your touch DW; vegetable bake ............with meat :roll:

Tell me ...........do you look/act like the bloke out of the Fast Show who says "this week, I'm mainly.........."

This is great because, since I was told I am disabled and unable to work, I have taken over as main chef as often as I can and my wife hasn't complained yet. It is good to see things other people cook that you know will actually work and don't require a stock of Venezuelan capers and Indonesian crocus stems to make. I love cooking but I wish my wife wouldn't affectionately refer to me as her 'Kitchen puppy'.

Brendan

I finally made some decent Yorkshire pudding yesterday. About the 100th attempt (I was advised to try Delia Smith's foolproof recipe and it was).
Generally I've been baking lately, but I'm looking for some small people and animal shapes for g-d's biscuits.
I'm about to try some shortcake.

BMac":gm4ug7if said:
I love cooking but I wish my wife wouldn't affectionately refer to me as her 'Kitchen puppy'.

Brendan

:lol:

Well at least it's affectionate, she might get serious. :shock:

DW If it wasn't for the meat.. and the vegetables, I think I might enjoy that. :wink:

One of the chaps I work with has the following definition of what constitutes a vegetable :

"If it can't look over the top of a farm gate, then it is a vegetable"

So, by those rules, a piece of irate person (and indeed the pig it came from) is in fact a vegetable :)

Very sensible bloke.

Adam

Kalimna":3srbwlbt said:
One of the chaps I work with has the following definition of what constitutes a vegetable :

"If it can't look over the top of a farm gate, then it is a vegetable"

So, by those rules, a piece of irate person (and indeed the pig it came from) is in fact a vegetable :)

Very sensible bloke.

Adam
A friend of mine reckons chickens are so stupid they count as vegetables...

My Sister- in- law reckons she is a vegetarian but eats fish and white meat (chicken)!!

Most casseroles I make, I cover with sliced potatoes and let them cook in the juices - bit like a Lancashire hot pot.
I often serve roasted vegetables as a side dish especially with roasts.

Rod

BMac":3v8ew52s said:
Smudger,

I typed 'cookie cutter' into Ebay and got over 2000 hits.

Brendan

Yes. But I bet none were in Carshalton High Street!

In fact the shapes I want are harder to get hold of. Quite possibly a large Tescos.

My cooking days started because my wife has arthritis and sometimes I go on kitchen duties for long periods.

Sorry about the typing yesterday but my keyboard is playing up again, the letters were bouncing on the screen and sometimes I would type 5 letters and only two appeared and then I would retype but original letters would appear, but OK again today. Or perhaps it was drinking the wine instead of putting it in the recipe.

Kalimna":31ggqgoe said:
One of the chaps I work with has the following definition of what constitutes a vegetable :"If it can't look over the top of a farm gate, then it is a vegetable"

Is he South African? I know one or two South Africans who call themselves vegetarian, but who eat chicken!!

Mike

devonwoody":ym52loa1 said:
My cooking days started because my wife has arthritis and sometimes I go on kitchen duties for long periods.

Sorry about the typing yesterday but my keyboard is playing up again, the letters were bouncing on the screen and sometimes I would type 5 letters and only two appeared and then I would retype but original letters would appear, but OK again today. Or perhaps it was drinking the wine instead of putting it in the recipe.

Strangely I've recently had that problem but only from my home PC & only when typing stuff to this forum.

Talking of farmyard animals, did anyone see that Jimmy bloke on the telly last night. I liked the idea of keeping rabbits levitated above chickens to deal with their 'waste'. Clever.

Wonder if they charge a premium for the meat (eggs) like they do for the coffee that has passed through Civet Cats? :lol:

Felt sorry for the pigs! - no sex and 3 litters a year!!

Rod

yeh that's not nice to see, but a harsh truth. I was glad Jimmy didn't get all emotional about it. It's a fact of life and I don't think the pigs were being treated badly. Farmers since farming began, have been trying to find way to improve productivity.

Latest posts

Back