Sous Vide Recipes. What are your best/favourite/proven uses? All suggestions welcome.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A thread drift, but one for AJB -
DSCF0395.JPG

have a look at shipton mill, I buy all my flour there and they stock canadian and french flour as well as English flours....in fact you can pretty much get everything there right down to ye olde grain

The Cornish Mill and Bakehouse (not white), Wessex, Carrs, Bacheldre, Shipton Mill, Buywholefoodsonline unbranded (which I believe is Shipton), Matthews, Dove's, (Allinson's, Tesco's, Morrison's) ... that I recall. Some weren't white flours, but I tend now to bake only white (sometimes with a small% of rye or wholemeal) as I prefer lighter breads. I liked Matthew's Cotswold Crunch, but it seemed to have got heavier - maybe the proportion of barley was increased.
Shipton? Interesting. I found it well down my list of choices.

Haven't read all this looong thread, but yet to be convinced about sous-vide -- I'm not a foodie but occasionally like a good restaurant meal -- a few years ago a fine local restaurant made a big splash about going sous-vide - same chefs but I have to say I preferred the taste and texture of the same dishes before s-v.

I prefer the convenience of SV, i dont have the check the oven or worry something gets overcooked. yesterday i vac sealed and threw in a 2kg silverside which went for 4 hours @ 54c, it could have been left in another hour or 2 without any real difference. The result was delicious and as my daughter would say.."soooo jooooseeeyyy"

That's why I like Dutch ovens, as well. Keep the temp. down and another hour or so won't make a difference.
A chicken, a load of shallots and half a bottle of Worcestershire sauce, four hours on about 140c - 150c. Wonderful. Brown it at the end if needs be.

I agree about Dutch ovens. Also very useful for baking.

You can also slow cook chicken all day at around 80 degrees C in the oven. Low and slow. Keeps it very moist and the meat falls off the bone.

As an alternative to running the oven for several hours for things cooked wet, I am quite a big fan of slow cookers. Very cheap to run and almost* silly person proof.

*I say almost because I left home at just over 17 to go to uni and invested in a Kenwood slow cooker which had a green plastic outside and a big brown pot. This was used to make spaghetti Bolognese (I know there is no such thing really) for my first ever party. This produced something which gave about 40 people Delhi belly almost instantly. To be fair it was only my second ever attempt at cooking, the first being burnt steak for my girlfriend, who had previously distinguished herself by tempting me with burnt fish fingers served with pasta and salad cream. She is also the cause of my lifelong dislike for cheesecake.

burnt fish fingers served with pasta and salad cream ...

Reminds me of one of the last Scout camps I did. As was customary we ate what was left over on the last day. Potatoes, cornflakes, sausages and mackerel, fried for the same length of time in the same pan. Did the same on another one - the last meal amongst other things was limpets and steak and kidney pudding uncooked out of the tin. That was the day I had my appendix out. Cast iron guts? Me?:LOL:

Just a personal preference thing but in general I don't like slow cooked meat. Something about the texture doesn't really appeal, especially poultry. For certain cuts it is a necessary evil but whenever possible I prefer other methods.

Latest posts

Back