Poor english

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Digit":29q3yiqz said:
I've stayed mostly clear of this since it started to become heated, but as I see the various views we have one side claiming that it is laziness that provides the errors and tother saying it's a lack of knowledge or are stating it's a lack of importance and of no consequence.
So Mark68, are you aware of the errors in your post, which I agree is completely intelligible, or are you not, and if you are which group do you fall into?
This is not an attempt to be rude or sarcastic I assure you, rather an attempt to understand the difficulties.

Roy.

It's not THAT heated Digit :)

hotting up a bit tho, I must admit. As far as I know, noone has fallen out with anyone or has a hissy fit 'yet' :)

just to add to your post and not aimed at you :)

- there IS a time and place where good english and good grammar/spelling is important. But equally so, there are times and places where it really DOESN'T matter !

Imagine a plum in mouth snooty fellow walking into a rough as nails bikers pub :lol:

a woodworking forum maybe somewhere in between !

Argee":elfjgbxm said:
Mark68":elfjgbxm said:
Maybe we should start boasting who can pee up the wall the highest??
Marvellous retort, very well thought out.
Ordinarily, I wouldn't have replied.
Regretfully, this post is now becoming too polarised.
Once this stage has been reached, progress is almost impossible.
Naturally, I'm going to bow out now.

Ray.

keep reading Argee - you never know LOL !

but I know what you mean.

I'm still enjoying it anyway :) - it's got me thinking of loads of controversial 'off topic' threads I can start next :D

Tusses":2if78n9y said:
it's got me thinking of loads of controversial 'off topic' threads I can start next :D

:lol:

You'll have a good record to beat - 13 pages and counting.....

Cheers

Karl

Tony":6huc45lv said:
MDF_HAKA":6huc45lv said:
Smudger":6huc45lv said:
Stylistic choice. Honest. I'd put a red ring round it, but expect an argument!

Just checked Smudger, apparently it is 'The Oxford comma' :? and some say it is OK, some say not? Still :?

Sadly, it is true that some use it and some don't. My preference has always been to use it as when one speaks the sentence out loud, there is a short pause before the "and".

Having read it several times now (your post) I can 'see' the pause and I agree it makes more sense.

Yes, your right, punctuation is no arcane science, and yes if i write a letter or post here i will try to use the correct punctuation and spelling, it may not be right sometimes, but i try, but the last thing i would do is knock someone for how they spell or use punctuation, nor would i come on here boasting about how well i can spell,use punctuation etc.

RogerS":gvcuf8p3 said:
dennis":gvcuf8p3 said:
Also as I have said before this is a WOODWORKING FORUM and I wonder if the majority of members would prefer to see a post that is perfectly scripted explaining a project that is as rough as ars@@oles or one that is poorly scripted explaining one that is brilliantly executed.I know which one that I would go for every time.

Dennis

But surely it's better to have a well-written, easy to read explanation of a brilliantly executed project? If so then doesn't that mean good spelling and grammar?

I would say 'reasonable' as in 'at least make an attempt to get it right' where you said 'good'.

Mark68":1hp7upkp said:
Yes, your right, punctuation is no arcane science, and yes if i write a letter or post here i will try to use the correct punctuation and spelling, it may not be right sometimes, but i try, but the last thing i would do is knock someone for how they spell or use punctuation, nor would i come on here boasting about how well i can spell,use punctuation etc.

So, who has done that?

I can see that there has not been much woodwork done today. :lol:

Rich.

I would like to thank Dan for transporting me back to my junior school days, when as largely uneducated young boys with extremely limited vocabulary, "thick as pigshit"was our favourite phrase when we wanted to get at someone. If the headmaster heard you he would say, "that is the language of an uneducated buffoon, so what does that make you boy" and you had to say "an uneducated buffoon sir" If he was still alive today I would be delighted to be able to tell him that it was no longer looked on in that way and is in fact part of the vast vocabulary of highly intelligent adults. I am in fact thinking of adding it back into my still limited vocabulary.

Dennis

woodbloke":1gzg9ify said:
It's not the grammar that winds me up so much but the spelling. I'm not perfick in any way (I always use the spell checker) when it comes to trying to get things right, but I do make the attempt, not withstanding the occasional typo that gets past the checker ('fiends' instead of 'friends' was my latest gaff :lol: ) One that irritates me beyond belief ](*,) is something we had recently...draw instead of drawer - Rob...in Meldrew mode.

You may not be perfick,as you spell it and i'm not perfect as i spell it,but to bring up my mistake of draw instead of drawer after so long is so sad,you really need to get out more.

Hi Boomer

I thought that it was only Gower that got singled out for the draw/drawer treatment didnt realise that you had as well, it is incidents like that, that that have caused a lot of the debate on this thread. There is a word that is often used today that they need to learn, only a small word but taken in the context that is most often meant now, it says a lot. CHILL.

Dennis

Oh, come on fella's, read back through the posts.

There's one just been written just above this, all about the word drawer.

dennis":1szf448h said:
I would like to thank Dan for transporting me back to my junior school days, when as largely uneducated young boys with extremely limited vocabulary, "thick as pigshit"was our favourite phrase when we wanted to get at someone. If the headmaster heard you he would say, "that is the language of an uneducated buffoon, so what does that make you boy" and you had to say "an uneducated buffoon sir" If he was still alive today I would be delighted to be able to tell him that it was no longer looked on in that way and is in fact part of the vast vocabulary of highly intelligent adults. I am in fact thinking of adding it back into my still limited vocabulary.

Dennis

It's a well established educational term.

Back