Poor english

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tusses":1a02ippj said:
Digit":1a02ippj said:
It's the lack of effort to express ones self that we sometimes see that annoys me.

My view also, or in another context, making something in wood, as a hobby, that's 'near enough', not the best that you can do.
If it's worth doing. it's worth doing well.
To me it's a matter of pride that no matter how bad the finished result, it's the best that I am capable of, and perhaps I'll do better next time around.

Roy.

Roy , if I may add ...

on the woodworking analogy.

What if a piece just needs function, not beauty ?

Sure, you could taper a piece of best burly maple, inlay it with the finest exotic hardwoods and marquetry . Spend a week french polishing it ...

when in fact all you need is a wedge to keep the door open !

same with language :)

like these ones here Not inlaid or French polished, granted, but then it's made by Li.... :roll: :wink: - Rob

Even a door wedge can be poorly made if insufficient effort is put into it.
I play a number of musical instruments, poorly, but even with nobody else to hear them I am still attempting to get better, that was my point.

Roy.

very good rob - :)

and Roy

I wasn't picking at your post - I agree with one side of it.

Call it a workshop door stop then ! The point I was trying to make was , sometime 'just enough' will do :)

I did make some door stops once. scroll sawed them in the shape of a rodent , with the tail as the wedge. I call them 'Door Mice' :)

But I hope you know what I mean about 'just enough' :)

Is langauge import?

I read the heading of this thread (Poor english) and thought some one was getting ready to take up a collection. :shock: BOY O BOY, was I wrong.

Travis

Well, being a colonial, we'll forgive you! :lol:
I hear that LA just got a nasty shock, what's the latest on that?

Roy.

Does anyone know where I can purchase some "no tablets" from? apparently they work better than Anadin? :shock: :D

Rich.

No idea, but I do know where you can get a disinfectant that kills 99 percent of all known germs. And leaves all the unknown ones to thrive!

Roy.

Have you seen the TV ad where the woman talks about 'a bacteria'?

Drives me up the wall!

Though having written that and re-read it I might have to concede that I have a very dodgy sense of proportion over some things...

Probably the same manufacturer of toothpaste who state that it MAY help against tooth decay, might as well use cow dung, that also MAY help against tooth decay, :lol: :lol:

Rich.

Smudger":3qjrdwb4 said:
Have you seen the TV ad where the woman talks about 'a bacteria'?

Drives me up the wall!

Though having written that and re-read it I might have to concede that I have a very dodgy sense of proportion over some things...

Not at all, Dick - these things are important!

I frequently hear people refer to 'a phenomina' . :shock:

On a similar note, what is the plural of 'forum'?

'Fora'?

Cheers
Dan

My 2 most annoying ads at the moment:

Fabric softener that smells of Diamonds and Lotus Flower? Really? What does a diamond smell like?

and

1 bacteria :)evil:) on a kitchen worktop can multiply to 2billion by morning, so you should use a certain household spray that kills 99.9% of all germs dead (what other way would they be killed, :evil:). Assuming this is an american billion :)evil:) that leaves 20,000,000 bacteria(s :twisted: )

Dan Tovey":1t74fvs9 said:

'Fora'?

Cheers
Dan

I've seen that discussed before on forums. 'Fora' is often suggested, but just sound silly - which is one of the problems, all language tends towards euphony (things which sound pleasant to a native speaker).

davegw":17t4omlc said:

Fabric softener that smells of Diamonds and Lotus Flower? Really? What does a diamond smell like?

and

1 bacteria :)evil:) on a kitchen worktop can multiply to 2billion by morning, so you should use a certain household spray that kills 99.9% of all germs dead (what other way would they be killed, :evil:). Assuming this is an american billion :)evil:) that leaves 20,000,000 bacteria(s :twisted: )

I, like, so agree with you.

Dan Tovey":36l47lnq said:

'Fora'?
Forum (pl. forums)
1 a meeting or medium for an exchange of views.
2 chiefly N. Amer. a court or tribunal.
3 (pl. fora) (in ancient Roman cities) a public square or marketplace used for judicial and other business.

So, unless we're ancient Romans, "forums" is the appropriate plural. :)

Ray.

Forum is Latin, Museum is Greek, but both make plurals in effectively the same way, either in their original or their adopted language.

I knew you weren't paying attention when I told you about Albrow's Polysystemic Model of English Spelling Systems!

Plural would be (in Greek) Musea. In English, Museums.

davegw":31dspup4 said:

It appears I owe someone an apology! It's not just Diamond, but White Diamond, apparently Different forms of Carbon have different smells!

Latest posts

Back