Poor english

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you not see that your last post does exactly that - it defends poor spelling, grammar and punctuation?

I give up. We live in a dumbed down world, who am I to try to change that?

Smudger":tb464kjt said:
Do you not see that your last post does exactly that - it defends poor spelling, grammar and punctuation?

I give up. We live in a dumbed down world, who am I to try to change that?

notice the winks ;) I took the two words from the first post that this thread is all about

BTW - the winks ;) mean its in jest, or light hearted, or in other words, don't take it too seriously :)

oh - and that last smile meant 'lets be friends' !

For those who have trouble handling the English language they should try their hand at Wenglish

If you need a new Battri or a set of Tiers for your Caer you will need to visit a Garrig. Locally you can also get Siocs and a Zorst fitted whilst you have a Coffi at nearby Caffi along with perhaps a Fflan then Ffon to find out how the work is progressing or whether you will need a Tacsi home.

With apologies to those who live in other areas of Wales as the spelling is still subject to variety with, for example, five different spellings for one local village.

Roy.

I took the smileys to be somewhat sarcastic, I don't see how they change the gist of the post.

Probably better not to use them, but to express what you want to say in good, clear English.

Digit":uo1bfu0t said:
For those who have trouble handling the English language they should try their hand at Wenglish

If you need a new Battri or a set of Tiers for your Caer you will need to visit a Garrig. Locally you can also get Siocs and a Zorst fitted whilst you have a Coffi at nearby Caffi along with perhaps a Fflan then Ffon to find out how the work is progressing or whether you will need a Tacsi home.

With apologies to those who live in other areas of Wales as the spelling is still subject to variety with, for example, five different spellings for one local village.

Roy.

What is the defining Welsh experience (no, not that one) - Rugby football?

What is the Welsh word for Rugby? Rygbi.

Apparently it is taught in yscols, and people join clwbs.

Easy to make fun of, but in the modern world all languages borrow from each other, although some Welsh speakers seem to deny it.

I recently had the experience of Welsh speakers stopping speaking English when my wife and I sat at the next table in a restaurant, and starting to speak Welsh. We were in France. That's insulting.

Whilst agreeing with you in general in lamenting the decline in standards Smudger you and I are facing a losing battle!
Just take a look at any document issued by any authority in this country. Simple DSS paperwork is supplied in language that is most definitely dumbed down, and where it isn't it tends to be full of made up words and phrases that are only understood by their composer.
An example, 'such and such gets you x payment'
How about 'you receive' or do they suppose that we are all semi-illiterate?
And how about the near universal, 'I ain't done nuffink?'

Roy.

I wasn't making fun at all Smudger, you are of course quite correct about languages borrowing from others. Modern English has, I'm told, three times as many words as the next nearest, many of them borrowed. Certainly we use French, Norman French, German, Latin, Greek, Yiddish, Italian, Gaelic, Serbo-Croat, Aboriginal, Chinese, Japanese and Malay.
Modern Welsh is an admixture of Middle English, Latin, Norman French and modern English.
Our language is the most flexible in the world.

Roy.

I've been using forums and chat groups on the internet for about 14 years now. I have developed an automatic use of smilies and the like. It's now second nature, and I guess it is to a lot of people on the tinterweb. I suppose it is a kind of internet grammar ? In the early days, there was an etiquette FAQ regarding Smilies and sigs etc, that you had to read before posting. It would soon be obvious if you hadn't and you would be 'flamed'

So when on a forum - I type in forum mode - not in english. the hyphens are there because some forum servers dont format as you would expect - and delete spaces and punctuation . its a throw back to the days when bandwidth was a scarce resource .

Just like the kidz with there txt speek - . The mobile text language was adapted from the bullitin board language - again to save bandwith

But it is the way it is, as far as I can see, and will continue to be so. whether you , me , or anyone else likes it or not.

Ah, but that is horses for courses Tus, and I also see nothing wrong with it, when used in context.
In the days when I hired and fired a job application in Txt would simply have been binned.
Shorthand versions of normal writing have been around since at least the days of the telegraph, and are appropriate to each case.

Roy

I don't know where you are in Wales Digit,,but i have friends over the bridge,,and have been told that if they go up to north Wales the same thing happens to them,,as happened to Smudger in France..And correct me if i am wrong, but was the language a dead one in the past??
Even though it has been brought back now..

Back to the topic...
Whilst not seeing eye to eye with your opinions,,i do agree that the standards are falling,,,i hate text speak,and the so called modern words such as "bling".. but i can't see the need to come on a forum and have a go at people who are maybe not so well educated as yourself's.
Its a big wide world, made up of many different people,,some well educated,some not so..
What we need to do is accept people for who they are,,not how well they are educated..
In a perfect world,we might all be well educated and be doctors,bank managers,vets, etc, but its not a perfect word,,and people have different levels of learning.
What we need is people to stop crowing on about how well they are educated,and how they can write perfect English, and maybe start talking about how the system has gone wrong and how to change it!!!

Stylistic choice. Honest. I'd put a red ring round it, but expect an argument!

On the Welsh thing, how much of 'learned' Welsh is a middle-class identity thing?

I ask because years ago I was mentoring a teacher-training student (who eventually decided to give up, which was a wise choice) and he had been made to learn Welsh by his headmaster father, and resented it mightily. He told me that it was just the middle classes who rather forced it on other people, a bit like the Welsh Nationalists.

Smudger":286xvysl said:
Stylistic choice. Honest. I'd put a red ring round it, but expect an argument!

Just checked Smudger, apparently it is 'The Oxford comma' :? and some say it is OK, some say not? Still :?

Tusses":350r0qj3 said:
Smudger":350r0qj3 said:
Why mock? It's the correct word.

I get pretty peed off by this sort of thing. Or should I dumb down to suit you?

didn't mean to P you off, sorry.

I just saw the humor of the use of such words on a thread about poor state of peoples ability to use /understand the language.

Don't dumb it down on my account - but maybe consider that this thread might have a point, and by using 'correct' words you are less likely to communicate effectively with the full readership of the forum.
[/i]

If you had asked me what 'didactic' meant, I would have floundered a little.

Following Dick's use of the word in its correct context however, I now know exactly what it means, and how to use it.

And I probably will.

This is how language is learnt - from experience of it. It is a learning process that continues throughout life; the encountering of a new word is something to be welcomed as it adds to one's vocabulary.

To deride someone, even tongue in cheek, for using an unfamiliar word simply demonstrates one's own ignorance.

Indeed, this is the nub if the discussion. Incorrect use of English makes a person look thick.

They may not be thick, but they appear thick. That is the overriding impression that the average person will get of them.

I don't know about anyone else, but I would rather that people had a more favourable impression of me - therefore I take a degree of care in the way I speak and write.

Tony":350r0qj3 said:
I find this thread both shocking and appalling. There are people here defending bad grammar, punctuation, and spelling.

Personally, I always include the comma before the 'and' in a list of items. A comma is used to indicate a pause in the flow of speech, and to my mind there is a pause before the 'and'.

Therefore the comma.

Cheers
Dan

Tony
Says that people are defending the right to use bad grammer.Which in most cases is untrue.They are pointing out the fact that most peoples grammar is not up to a given standard, my own very much included.And as most people use it to the best of there ability that should suffice.We do not all have the time or the inclination to go to classes or study to improve it, everyone has different priorities.As has been said several times as long as the intended meaning is understood that is all that really matters.Also the use of smilies has been mentioned, I do not use them personally as they can sometimes be confusing and taken the wrong way as Dick pointed out earlier.

Dennis

Blimey :shock: :shock:
What have I started!!

Actually, you all grabbed the wrong end of the stick in someways:

I WAS trying to suggest the misuse of myself & yourself was a delusion by these people that their "posh use" (albiet wrong!!) somehow indicates a superior use of Engilsh.

When it comes to forum posts, my pet hate is not spelling, punctuation, or grammar.

It is the lack of use of paragraphs!

The simple act of starting a new line or paragraph every now and then can render an otherwise unreadable post legible and easily understood.

What's more, it requires absolutely no knowledge of grammar.

Cheers
Dan

Back