Pole lathe - help needed - a challenge?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood spoiler

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

A neighbour has just been to see me with an interesting challenge.

They have for many years gone to a village in Uganda, where they help the villagers to help themselves.

He would like to take the ingredients to assemble a pole lathe when they go next month. The idea being that they can make uniform dowels and show them how to use them and no doubt the full range of benefits.

I have absolutely no idea and am hoping the fonts of knowledge from our forum may come up trumps and give me plans etc. It would also be nice to send along some tools if anyone has spares? Also interested to know how you go about work holding etc.

I don't mind being cheeky when it is for someone else. If anyone knows anything at all I would be pleased to hear from you. :D

I would say that they will need something a bit more chunky than a cycle wheel? There wouldn't be enough momentum. If you look at the flywheel on the PDF it is quite substantial.

That's quite a jump from a pole lathe to a treadle jobbie. You could easily make a pole lathe for use indoors by using bungy cord fixed to the ceiling instead of the flexi pole.

Hi

I hope I'm not being presumptious but I think two differing lathes are being discussed here.

A pole lathe uses the inertia of the 'work' and the energy of the pole to provide the 'return' power

A treadle lathe relies on the mass of a flywheel to smooth the power.

One day I aim to build a pole lathe - no big deal - and use it - serious challenge.

Regards Mick

Very different techniques in using them as well. A pole lathe cuts o the down stroke as it reverses it's spin every time you use the treadle. A treadle lathe goes round all the way and so is used like an electrical one. Different tools as well.

Pete

Thanks for the input - all very helpful.

I think I was at fault for using the term Pole lathe when I should have talked about basic forms of unpowered lathe.

From what I read on the Bodgers website the treadle would seem to be the best form of non powered lathes. The point John made about the lack of mass in a bicycle wheel, I am presuming that to cut curved timber and clad evenly around the edges to put a load on the outer diameter would solve that problem?

If the treadle delivers a constant direction of turn on the wood I presume it will be easier to learn and execute basic techniques?

The treadle lathe is basically the same as any mechanically powered lathe and you can use the same tools as well. Obviously unless you are extremely fit speed will be limited unless you get technical and gear it up. there is a good history plus instructions on building a portable flywheel (treadle) lathe here that may be of interest.

Pete

Wood spoiler":grd5aurm said:
I think I was at fault for using the term Pole lathe when I should have talked about basic forms of unpowered lathe.
No the pole lathe is the basic human powered lathe. Has been in use for thousands of years. It's also quite easy to use if everything is OK. No need to look further or to try to emulate the power lathe. Can be made to turn one way only I believe, by "fast and loose" linkage and a fly wheel.

Latest posts

Back