plywood primer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuvy

Reaction score
Hi there,

Firstly i have tried the search function but I couldnt find a definitive answer for what im looking for.

I have made a wooden box out of 6mm plywood (8'x4' sheet £12 nothing fancy) it was fairly rough but iv sanded it smooth and now need to prime it before applying vinyl wrap to the outside the dimensions are 16"L X 10"W X 11"H
What do you guys recommend to use as a primer that will be glass like under the vinyl?
Ideally a brush or roller application but i do have a spray gun and a compressor if thats going to give a better finish.

After looking online iv noticed people saying use oil based as it wont bring the grain out in the plywood.

Can anyone recommend a product and a rough price would be great too.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

In the past I have used spray clear lacquer from Halfords the sort used on cars, quick drying, does not raise the grain or very little and handy for a small project, I used a few coats once and got a high gloss finish on a project with a light sanding between coats.

You could use acrilic primer/undercoat brush or roller give it a few coats sanding as required, that will in the end fill the grain and give you a smooth surfacem, but glass like might be difficult on cheap plywood.

thanks for that chaps,

Ideally glass smooth but Its nearly smooth from sanding i might try a test piece with just alot of sanding and some vinyl

it sounds like you need to apply a fine surface filler all over then sand it back then prime it- the best filler i've used if by Toupret

do you just use a hard plastic applicator ( a bit thicker than a credit card) to push it over the surface?

you could do but a filling knife would be easier/better

and be carful some of the cheaper fine surface fillers set like concrete- I always use toupret

brilliant il have a look online to see where i can pick some up or get it posted.

Thanks again

Latest posts

Back