Please teach me about planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once again I'm saying this is a golden age for learning, and we are likely in the midst of the evolution of these type forums, and maybe ever increasingly being propelled fporwards by the speculators speculation regarding the little details
i.e you can put your money where your mouth is :)

Not that it will be the demise of the word type forum, but many do frown upon
specific terms or anything else which may not be written in the old books,
so it will enable those who aren't all that good at explaining things to demonstrate what they mean.

Right ho leave it to D_W he is the world class expert we are so lucky to have in our midst!
Anybody going for pop corn?

Shooting board no prob with a light camber - if necessary tilt the blade a touch to present the cutting edge square on.
"Washboard" effect a slight exaggeration, but if necessary you trim the highs of the ridges with a finer set, or by attacking at a different angle etc
Imagine levelling the surface of an ice cream tub with a spoon - 1st passes spoon deep furrows, 2nd pass take off the high points with a shallower scrape, 3rd pass take of the new high points with even shallower scrape etc etc. Or use something with straighter edge.
Sounds like a right faff and removes the point of a shooting board. I'll stick with using my uncambered blade on the shooting board.

Sounds like a right faff and removes the point of a shooting board. ...
Not at all, just a little tweak of the lateral adjuster. This is the sort of thing it's for. Also for adjusting if the plane sides aren't square enough for the shooting board.

........... but many do frown upon
I'm more bothered about the nonsense written in the new books (and magazines and on youtube!)

Once again I'm saying this is a golden age for learning, and we are likely in the midst of the evolution of these type forums, and maybe ever increasingly being propelled fporwards by the speculators speculation regarding the little details
i.e you can put your money where your mouth is :)

Not that it will be the demise of the word type forum, but many do frown upon
so it will enable those who aren't all that good at explaining things to demonstrate what they mean.

About 6 or 10 years ago, I made my first youtube video. That was before youtube became a retail outlet selling either nonsense (lifestyle woodworking as a woo ideal to draw in paying customers) or actual goods (dumpy numbs).

AT the time, I documented making double iron planes similar to those made in England in the early 1800s because it had never been documented and I put in the work to make a plane that's as good (as that type) as any that have ever been made. I can't make them "better" than the older english planes - there's nothing to improve, but I can make them as well.

What's missing in these discussions is pros actually doing work, so I documented making one of the planes and described the important parts of the plane both aesthetics (treat yourself to at least trying to make something nice without letting yourself off of the hook to make a kludge with several pieces of wood) and in function.

I goaded a few people to just turn on the camera while they work if they were afraid of talking and sounding stupid. You can work and look smart and not talk if it's a threat (not you, i mean in general).

Nobody would do it.

Almost all of us have phones that have excellent software and will take HD video front and back. it's so easy now.

I would like to take a video of making a chisel like these with limited tools - they are better than anything sold commercially right now aside from a few good japanese tools, but the style isn't the same.
All of this stuff is accessible, but the chisels are freehand made and getting a close up of what's going on would be needed, so I will need a camera person.

I don't know that anyone would care to make chisels the same way, but they might learn something by watching me do it - something that can be taken elsewhere. Same with planing. I couldn't teach someone to make fine furniture, but I could teach a lot of fine furniture makers to use a plane much better than they do already, and with a lot less risk.

You can beat them! Start by waving two fingers in their direction.
And toil endlessly arguing with folks, with nothing to back your point up?
You seem much against any folks or any particular demonstrations online.

Surely these folks are not so far behind, that you can't pick and mix at least some tips or contribute suggestions from the collection of youtubers or other woodworkers regarding the details of certain topics, like this one for example.

Tom

Almost all of us have phones that have excellent software and will take HD video front and back. it's so easy now.
I'm still in the dark ages, but did buy a samsung digital "selfie" camera with a large touch screen for 50/£40 and it makes videos upto 20 mins, plus my missus has the same although she's upgraded to the phones.
It's old now, needs to be kept plugged in recording, and I find 16mp will do the job with good lighting, and not too fancy that it can't be brought to the shed.

I'm still in the dark ages, but did buy a large touch screen samsung digital camera for 50/£40 and it makes videos upto 20 mins, plus my missus has the same although she's upgraded to the phones.
It's old now, needs to be kept plugged in recording, and I find 16mp will do the job with good lighting, and not too fancy that it can't be brought to the shed.

plugged in is fine - it's not realistic unless you're going to really sink in a lot of time - to do much other than place a camera and work. There's probably some enticement if you can get closeups to take close ups of things that look interesting more than what's important, too.

I thought I might be able to make an upgrade buying a camera that was more like the old samsung hand sized cameras. It was digital, capable of 3 hours of video, HD and with hookups, and not terribly expensive. The problem I found with cameras - maybe this has changed a little bit , i hope - cameras that aren't expensive aren't as good with changing light situations and making automatic focus judgements. Like materially not as good, nowhere close. So much money has been spent making phone cameras good because it's such a public topic that maybe to get even as good in a stationary camera will cost a whole lot.

talking of phones I quite like the latest iphone SE models, the 2020 is really good, does 4K and up to 240 frames per second, I might make some weird slo mo youtube shorts of me planing wood as fast as possible.

Cosman has been doing this for a few years, a partially prepared setup but most of the stuff (what's not a comercial) is still on the fly,
I'd personally prefer it applied to a project, as I see some slight neglect compared to earlier videos in order to make the video.
Might as well show your best if doing a video IMO
whether that be regarding a precision aspect, or indeed to demonstrate effort.

And toil endlessly arguing with folks, with nothing to back your point up?
Have been at it long time - full time self employed joinery (period replacement, restoration all in old buildings) and occasional bits of furniture. Prior to that in the craft trade and general building trade (well bodging really)
You seem much against any folks or any particular demonstrations online.
No, only the select few!
Surely these folks are not so far behind, that you can't pick and mix at least some tips or contribute suggestions from the collection of youtubers or other woodworkers regarding the details of certain topics, like this one for example.
Well yes it's not all nonsense. Credit where credit is due!
And vice versa - for instance I do find your Charlesworth planing system somewhat bizarre. Not your fault there's a lot of misinformation about, much along the lines of "reinventing the wheel"!

Cosman has been doing this for a few years, a partially prepared setup but most of the stuff (what's not a comercial) is still on the fly,
I'd personally prefer it applied to a project, as I see some slight neglect compared to earlier videos in order to make the video.
Might as well show your best if doing a video IMO
whether that be regarding a precision aspect, or indeed to demonstrate effort.

That was my intention to try to goad professionals into doing their work as normal but setting a camera up. To see what they're doing in a regular project.

I think most people are not comfortable doing that, partially due to the reality that you can be a professional and do exceptional work and maybe some parts of it you're doing in a way that someone will think is stupid.

Negative responses are so dominant in terms of what people latch on to. When George first came to Sawmillcreek, a person who was an outright liar claimed to know that George was incapable of doing work, and that he just took credit for work done by people in the shop at Williamsburg. The guy was insistent, but it turned out that it wasn't true and he was someone who was unhappy that George hadn't made him feel special at WMSBG events. George didn't actually know who the guy was, either, he wasn't using his real name but he turned out to be a programmer who spent a lot of time going to presentations there and wanted to be made to feel special.

Point of that being, a whole bunch of us really didn't know who to believe for a while - we're all tuned to weigh a couple of negative accounts with far greater positive numbers.

The only solution to that is really being in a position where you're either making money and just have to grin and bare it, or not care because you have nothing really at stake in the first place (like me).

PXL_20220906_192558999.jpg
PXL_20220906_192042479.jpg
PXL_20220906_192025347.jpg
Very crude work. Making 12 tapered octagons. I didn't want them "exact", simple vernacular work can look over corrected if everything is set out and "perfect"

Last edited:
Have been at it long time - full time self employed joinery (period replacement, restoration all in old buildings) and occasional bits of furniture. Prior to that in the craft trade and general building trade (well bodging really)

No, only the select few!

Well yes it's not all nonsense. Credit where credit is due!
And vice versa - for instance I do find your Charlesworth planing system somewhat bizarre. Not your fault there's a lot of misinformation about, much along the lines of "reinventing the wheel"!

Realistically, Jacob, most people are assuming that you can actually prove the things you talk about to a level of work that would be applicable to them, but nobody really has any proof of it.

I'm not sure anyone doubts that you have done a lot of building replacement and restoration work, but the assertions like you just made to Ttrees are completely unsubstantiated.

They're always ended with a dismissive tone, to create the illusion that there is something more credible about your planing than DC's. Turn the phone on in actual accurate work and show it from soup to nuts.

View attachment 143113View attachment 143114View attachment 143115Very crude work. Making 12 tapered octagons. I didn't want them "exact", simple vernacular work can look over corrected if everything is set out and "perfect"
View attachment 143112

I would suspect even something as simple as the clamp in the vise would be useful to folks who haven't thought of it.

The discussion of what level of finish is good is another one worth having in hand work. If everything is too perfect on all but the highest end work, it can end up looking stale, but what's tolerable as imperfection has to be something that isn't amateurish (e.g., you can plane the octagons slightly irregular in size, but if you're making a london pattern handle, you can't because it's turned and the transitioned to the turned element is very uneven. But if something is entirely straight, no problem. As well as the fact that you can have slightly irregular facets, but if they are more regular but including any substantive tearout, they'll look bad or like they were done with lack of care).

The clamp thing is a useful option for a few things. I have no idea how to find it, but there was a guy carving a cabriole leg using the method, top drawer work.
Agreed on the chisel handles, no room for error there!
These are indeed irregular but I choose to finish up with a few swipes with a finely set metal plane to get rid of any tear.
I'm trying to get into the flow of working as loose as possible on vernacular work. The clinical look bought to some modern interpretations of simple pieces spoil the joy of the original (to me anyway).

I love the way forum threads evolve and this discussion is fascinating, but, If I could pull things back a little, I asked for advice in-house as opposed to recommended videos as many here use planes often and I am certain we can sort me out between us. What I need, I imagine, is intermediate sort of knowledge, things like, what is a single iron plane for, is it better or worse than a double iron, when is a wood body better than a metal body, are wood body planes easy to make/restore, what on earth is an infil plane, does the size/shape of the mouth affect anything, how thick a shaving should I see as a maximum? That sort of thing. Really I am interested in what forum members feel is important here

Back