Please help - messed up the floorboards

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Georget79

Established Member
Reaction score
I really need some advice please. I sanded and varnished my mothers floors the same colour varnish (light oak) as she had already had for years.

I'm her carer she has Parkinsons and dementia, and I'm needing to get the house ready for a live in carer. I've done so much already and I'm so tired, but I've messed up the floors.

I had hired a sander and it didn't sand evenly. But I went over it again with an electric sander and thought everything was OK.

However after putting down the varnish in the hall I can see its very patchy. I'm guessing this is because it wasnt sanded evenly (I did try my best)

But I don't know what to do now. I've only done the hall but I still need to varnish the living room and it's just going to look terrible.

What can I do? I really don't have the energy or time to sand it again. Will a darker varnish solve it?

Attachments

• IMG_20230329_193140-min.jpg
    IMG_20230329_193140-min.jpg
    623.8 KB · Views: 0
How many coats has it had? The first or even second coats can sometimes be a bit uneven when refinishing old wood as it it gets taken up differently. Once the surface is fully resealed it'll often even itself up with an extra coat or two.

How many coats has it had? The first or even second coats can sometimes be a bit uneven when refinishing old wood as it it gets taken up differently. Once the surface is fully resealed it'll often even itself up with an extra coat or two.
That section in the photo has had two coats. I did try a 3rd coat on a very small area to see if it would even out but it doenst seem to be doing much

It looks to me like you didn't get all the old finish off when you first sanded it. This is a common error when sanding floors, as the boards initially appear to be well sanded, but become patchy like this as soon as you apply stain/finish.

If I'm correct, then the only solution is to sand again. Unfortunately, sanding a floor properly is a skilled, time consuming job. I recommend taking a look at howtosandafloor dot com for some good tips. I purchased his online course which turned out to be the best money I ever spent - there are so many pitfalls for the unwary enthusiast. If you still have a room to go, don't put any stain/finish down yet. Just make sure the old finish is properly removed. I suspect you'll need to remove at least 1mm (to account for cupping and other uneveness in the height), which is asking a lot of a DIY electric sander.

Last edited:
It looks to me like you didn't get all the old finish off when you first sanded it. This is a common error when sanding floors, as the boards initially appear to be well sanded, but become patchy like this as soon as you apply stain/finish.

If I'm correct, than the only solution is to sand again. Unfortunately, sanding a floor properly is a skilled, time consuming job. I recommend taking a look at howtosandafloor dot com for some good tips. I purchased his online course which turned out to be the best money I ever spent - there are so many pitfalls for the unwary enthusiast. If you still have a room to go, don't put any stain/finish down yet. Just make sure the old finish is properly removed. I suspect you'll need to remove at least 1mm, which is asking a lot of a DIY electric sander.
Thanks for your reply. Would a dark oak

If I'm correct, then the only solution is to sand again. Unfortunately, sanding a floor properly is a skilled, time consuming job. I recommend taking a look at howtosandafloor dot com for some good tips. I purchased his online course which turned out to be the best money I ever spent - there are so many pitfalls for the unwary enthusiast. If you still have a room to go, don't put any stain/finish down yet. Just make sure the old finish is properly removed. I suspect you'll need to remove at least 1mm (to account for cupping and other uneveness in the height), which is asking a lot of a DIY electric sander.
Thanks for your reply. Yeah I bit off more than I can chew, thought I was being clever in that I could undertake such a big job and it go smoothly.

I don't have the time to do it again so will need to get someone in I guess to sand it. Thanks again

Thanks for your reply. Would a dark oak

Thanks for your reply. Yeah I bit off more than I can chew, thought I was being clever in that I could undertake such a big job and it go smoothly.

I don't have the time to do it again so will need to get someone in I guess to sand it. Thanks again
I'd leave it as it is. It'll weather in!
Get a bit of carpet?

Last edited:
Sadly I think DIY Addict is right. If you want it to look it's best you would need to do it again. You could use a darker finish, but it won't necessarily cure the problem. It would be a shame as you have a nice colour, if you darken it then you will also make the room look smaller. I'm with Jacob, leave it and see what happens. If it doesn't improve you can always do it again in the future when you have more time.

Get a bit of carpet?

Get a bit of carpet?
I would love to leave it and just get this nightmare out the way 😅 I just fear how bad it's going to look in the living room especially.

I had thought of a carpet but unfortunately it would be a disaster as a lot of meals and fluids end up on the floor because of her condition.

Yebbut whose going to take an interest in the floor except another DIY enthusiast! Nobody will notice it.
Yeah I see what you mean, but I just feel its very noticeable to anyone with eyeballs 😅 this clearer picture is a better idea.... What about wood paint instead of stain, could that work?

Attachments

• IMG_20230330_000258.jpg
    IMG_20230330_000258.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
I’m in the ( leave it alone camp ) I’ve seen a hell of a lot worse. If you have other floors to do then take your time and see this as a learning curve. Don’t beat yourself up over it as tbh you have done a better job than some qualified professionals. I get you about seeing it and it stands out but I guarantee the majority of people won’t bat an eyelid-your mom will appreciate it and that’s all that matters. I had to put my mom in a care home due to her dementia and trust me she will not be concerned about a bit of uneven stain . I take my hat off to you for your efforts. 👍👍👍

I’m in the ( leave it alone camp ) I’ve seen a hell of a lot worse. If you have other floors to do then take your time and see this as a learning curve. Don’t beat yourself up over it as tbh you have done a better job than some qualified professionals. I get you about seeing it and it stands out but I guarantee the majority of people won’t bat an eyelid-your mom will appreciate it and that’s all that matters. I had to put my mom in a care home due to her dementia and trust me she will not be concerned about a bit of uneven stain . I take my hat off to you for your efforts. 👍👍👍
Thanks mate, I appreciate your kind words. I hope it worked out for your mom in the care home. It's not just the patchyness that's standing out, it's very orange looking in the daylight too. Considering I still need to do the lounge, I think I may sand the hall again and then just do it all in a darker stain and accept it won't be perfect and may be blotchy but perhaps a better colour. Thanks again 🙏

It would be worth getting an expert to 'diagnose' the patchiness. It's probable that some of the old finish is still on it, but there are other possibilities too. For example, I notice that a lot of the darker areas are just in front of the door. If the finish wore off there a long time ago, then the extra dirt/UV light could have made that part of the wood go a lot darker. Another possibility is pet stains (wee) darkening worn areas.

I think it's a classic case of the renovator's dilemma - either you spend loads of time researching and sorting it out yourself, or loads of money getting a pro in.

If the finish wasn't particularly worn before you started, then my first guess is probably accurate, and you could improve the living room's chances with a belt sander getting all of the old finish off. Test by spraying water on and see if any patchiness shows, and also whether the water is absorbed evenly. If you've only got an orbital sander then forget it or buy/borrow a belt sander. You could also improve things with some wood conditioner, but test that on an area that is likely to be covered by a sofa first.

One last thing - stains and stained varnishes really show up imperfections and old finishes. So rather than go darker, it'll look much more even if you use a clear varnish.

Finally, there's a lot to be said for Jacob's and Phil's comments.

I feel for you and I know the strains of caring for parents with dementia.

If you really cant live with it, maybe consider laying a cheap laminate flooring over the top. It would be easier than floorboards to keep clean.

If you do decide to re-sand, don't be tempted to sand across the grain to speed up the process. This will raise the fibres and although would be smooth to the touch, would become very slippery once a finish is applied.

I agree with Jacob. Did I actually type that… It looks like the majority of Pine floors I’ve seen. Unless you are hosting a professional flooring convention no one is going to say anything beyond “I love your wooden floors”

Back