How to achieve this colour?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want to add a bit of colour you might consider going down the route of using water based finishes that offer tinting options. Some, such as the Bona brand available at, for example, Wood Finishes Direct sell a primer that adds colour to the wood, see the fifth product down in the link, the amber primer. This is followed up by applying the clear finish. Other wood finish makers can supply small amounts of tinting products that can be added to the finish to adjust the colour.

Or, you could simply add, for example, a measured teaspoon (or any other measured quantity) of a water soluble aniline dye powder (probably a brown of some sort) per litre to your clear waterborne varnish, stir, ensure the dye is in solution, and apply. Slainte.

Last edited:
Most newly worked and coated timber will darken (mature) with time. Some relatively quickly, others over some years.Darken it now, it will darken further with time. Clear coating now, on the floor in the photo's will give you a slightly-darker-than-straw hue when matured in a year or so.

I know you necessary done this but if using stained finished it's a good idea to put some clear on first. That way your stained varnish wont actually stain the wood as the clear coat seals it. If you then don't like the colour it can be removed. Best to experiment on some similar board first, but you need a decent sized piece to get a proper idea of what it will look like on the floor.

One coat of Osmo ‘honey’ applied with a foam roller when that has dried one more coat of clear Osmo to the Sheen level you or your mother wants. The Osmo honey gives a lovely even golden colour If you work it in well, cross hatching then finishing with the grain. I did my engineered oak floor this way six years ago and it still looks great.

Back