Please help - messed up the floorboards

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would be worth getting an expert to 'diagnose' the patchiness. It's probable that some of the old finish is still on it, but there are other possibilities too. For example, I notice that a lot of the darker areas are just in front of the door. If the finish wore off there a long time ago, then the extra dirt/UV light could have made that part of the wood go a lot darker. Another possibility is pet stains (wee) darkening worn areas.

I think it's a classic case of the renovator's dilemma - either you spend loads of time researching and sorting it out yourself, or loads of money getting a pro in.

If the finish wasn't particularly worn before you started, then my first guess is probably accurate, and you could improve the living room's chances with a belt sander getting all of the old finish off. Test by spraying water on and see if any patchiness shows, and also whether the water is absorbed evenly. If you've only got an orbital sander then forget it or buy/borrow a belt sander. You could also improve things with some wood conditioner, but test that on an area that is likely to be covered by a sofa first.

One last thing - stains and stained varnishes really show up imperfections and old finishes. So rather than go darker, it'll look much more even if you use a clear varnish.

Finally, there's a lot to be said for Jacob's and Phil's comments.
Thanks for the detailed insight 🙏

I agree with Jacob. Did I actually type that… It looks like the majority of Pine floors I’ve seen. Unless you are hosting a professional flooring convention no one is going to say anything beyond “I love your wooden floors”
Thanks 😁 if it wasnt so orangey and yellow looking too, I could probably bear leaving it. I don't know if there's any ways to tone down the orange tint after staining. I will probably give it a couple of days and see if it grows on me

Thanks mate, I appreciate your kind words. I hope it worked out for your mom in the care home. It's not just the patchyness that's standing out, it's very orange looking in the daylight too. Considering I still need to do the lounge, I think I may sand the hall again and then just do it all in a darker stain and accept it won't be perfect and may be blotchy but perhaps a better colour. Thanks again 🙏
Yes my mom is as good as she can be and thanks for asking, I like to think of myself as a bit ocd and a little bit of a perfectionist so I understand where you’re coming from . You sound just like me so it’s a personal thing that you want it right for you and your mom and I’d probably be exactly the same so as others have suggested try a different approach but in another room and hopefully you will get the results you are hoping for. Previous paints , stains and varnish not to mention natural resins within the wood will all affect your finish . Consider the type of varnish- matt, gloss etc and try it in a small inconspicuous area first . Try to work on a bright day in natural light and most of all don’t be too hard on yourself, I know one thing is that your mom will appreciate your efforts even if she can’t find the words to tell you ..good luck with your project and stick with it. 👍👍

You could try some floor paint - Ronseal I know make some in a variety of colours.

Will not looked like stained wood - but a mid brown would be a reasonable approximation. Would only require some very light sanding to provide a key.

Yes my mom is as good as she can be and thanks for asking, I like to think of myself as a bit ocd and a little bit of a perfectionist so I understand where you’re coming from . You sound just like me so it’s a personal thing that you want it right for you and your mom and I’d probably be exactly the same so as others have suggested try a different approach but in another room and hopefully you will get the results you are hoping for. Previous paints , stains and varnish not to mention natural resins within the wood will all affect your finish . Consider the type of varnish- matt, gloss etc and try it in a small inconspicuous area first . Try to work on a bright day in natural light and most of all don’t be too hard on yourself, I know one thing is that your mom will appreciate your efforts even if she can’t find the words to tell you ..good luck with your project and stick with it. 👍👍
That's good to hear. And yes I'm a bit ocd perfectionist too haha. Also, I know if the house is comfortable the more chance the live in carer will want to stay and enjoy their surroundings, as will my mother. She was in a nursing home at the end of 2021 for 8 weeks for respite and to see how she would get on. Unfortunately she was falling all the time and the nursing home effectively told me they couldn't look after her unless they employed more staff because she needs constant supervision because of lots of energy and poor balance.

Anyway, thanks to all for the advice, I'll plod on and take heed of what's been said. Cheers ☺️🙏

How about trying some tinted oil, but with a whitener? Osmo ( and others ) do some and as you build up coats, it will become whiter. A couple of coats might obsure it quite well?

You could try some floor paint - Ronseal I know make some in a variety of colours.

Will not looked like stained wood - but a mid brown would be a reasonable approximation. Would only require some very light sanding to provide a key.
I remember the wonderful comment in Viz many years ago. Ronseal - it does what it says on the tin. It doesn't say on the tin it'll make your front door look like an African elephant wiped its arrrsse on it.

Can you put a few rugs down so you are not looking at such big area's ?
If you do re sand, hire a floor sander. When i have done this in the past i hired a belt floor sander (its like a hoover),
but a couple of weeks ago i had another floor to do, the hire shop gave the option of a floor sander with 4 rotating discs
or the usual belts, i opted for the disc machine and it was rubbish, wish i went for the belts as they do take a lot off !

I did a thread recently about restoring some old oak gates. They had been Osmo oiled and after I’d sanded them down and re coated them with Osmo oil they looked very very patchy, which I expected. After a couple of months the winter sun soon evened it all out and now they don’t look patchy at all. @Jacob offered you the right advice. I have personally found that after wood has been finished and you sand it back and add a finish it almost always comes out patchy. The sun almost always evens it out again very quickly. It doesn’t need full sun, just the light getting into your house will do it. Relax, if you leave it and it doesn’t fix itself, worst case you’re back at this point again.

Last edited:
From your picture, it looks like nice aged pine flooring. Identically coloured and grained planks would look like laminated photographed wood(had some of that in an old house).
Tough doing the sanding with an orbital sander. Hire a floor sander, but you will lose probably 1mm of plank thickness. I use oil finish on my wood floors as I find it easier to refinish or touch up with oil,
than having to strip and revarnish.
I would go with the let it age a while camp.

@Georget79 My MIL suffered from advanced dementia, best advice we ever got was when she was hospitalised with a suspect renal failure, the care nurse told us do not take her out of the hospital, she then becomes the NHS's problem, they found her a place in Cottage Hospital only ten miles from us, and its was ten years later she passed away, and all of the staff from the Hospital came to the funeral, it was most moving, I know it should not be a consideration, but how much would ten years of care cost us. 😱

How about trying some tinted oil, but with a whitener? Osmo ( and others ) do some and as you build up coats, it will become whiter. A couple of coats might obsure it quite well?
I had looked into liming wax but read you need to put that on before staining? Would osmo be the same or can it be put on after?

Can you put a few rugs down so you are not looking at such big area's ?
If you do re sand, hire a floor sander. When i have done this in the past i hired a belt floor sander (its like a hoover),
but a couple of weeks ago i had another floor to do, the hire shop gave the option of a floor sander with 4 rotating discs
or the usual belts, i opted for the disc machine and it was rubbish, wish i went for the belts as they do take a lot off

Yeah rugs could work... I did hire a belt sander to do the sanding, but for some reason it didn't take all the previous stain off, just patches, which is what led me to this problem I guess. It was 80 grit then 120. I'm currently thinking about just getting someone in to do it, I may burn out if I carry on 😅

From your picture, it looks like nice aged pine flooring. Identically coloured and grained planks would look like laminated photographed wood(had some of that in an old house).
Tough doing the sanding with an orbital sander. Hire a floor sander, but you will lose probably 1mm of plank thickness. I use oil finish on my wood floors as I find it easier to refinish or touch up with oil,
than having to strip and revarnish.
I would go with the let it age a while camp.
Thanks, I guess it's not so bad but the orangeness of it doesn't really work against rest of decor and I'm thinking of just getting someone in to re sand it, will cost a lot, but remove the stress. I had hired a belt sander to do what i did, but didn't take everything off. Here's a photo of the unstained lounge after using 80 then 120 grit. It seems the remaining stain that didn't remove is what causes the patches. Would having someone else sand it again be damaging to the thickness of the wood?

Attachments

• IMG_20230331_131947.jpg
    IMG_20230331_131947.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
@Georget79 My MIL suffered from advanced dementia, best advice we ever got was when she was hospitalised with a suspect renal failure, the care nurse told us do not take her out of the hospital, she then becomes the NHS's problem, they found her a place in Cottage Hospital only ten miles from us, and its was ten years later she passed away, and all of the staff from the Hospital came to the funeral, it was most moving, I know it should not be a consideration, but how much would ten years of care cost us. 😱
That's great it worked out well for her. Unfortunately I think in Scotland things are a lot worse. She was in hospital a year ago for an operation on a hernia. They wouldn't let her leave for 8 weeks and she twice got out of bed and chipped her tooth and then later cut her lip badly. I had to fight to get her out and she improved immediately when home. It seems nursing homes and hospitals struggle to take care of her or underestimate her abilities. I don't blame staff, but the NHS up here had been badly managed by the man who is now first minister god help us 😅

Liming wax is normally used to highlight the wood grain. A neutral floor oil is what we used, Osmo products are really good, but are pricey.
We oiled the floor, and then wiped off any excess that had not soaked in, the oil hardened after a day and can be lightly buffed.

Thanks, I guess it's not so bad but the orangeness of it doesn't really work against rest of decor and I'm thinking of just getting someone in to re sand it, will cost a lot, but remove the stress. I had hired a belt sander to do what i did, but didn't take everything off. Here's a photo of the unstained lounge after using 80 then 120 grit. It seems the remaining stain that didn't remove is what causes the patches. Would having someone else sand it again be damaging to the thickness of the wood?
Unfortunately you did little more than key the surface. 40 grit would have been a better starting point. It’s been a few years since I did one but remember having to be pretty aggressive with it.
You need to set the nails in a good 5mm before you start.

Liming wax is normally used to highlight the wood grain. A neutral floor oil is what we used, Osmo products are really good, but are pricey.
We oiled the floor, and then wiped off any excess that had not soaked in, the oil hardened after a day and can be lightly buffed.
Would it take away the orange tint of the floors? Fro example can I apply it after the light oak stain is down, and would it lighten/soften the orange?

I have personally found that after wood has been finished and you sand it back and add a finish it almost always comes out patchy. The sun almost always evens it out again very quickly. It doesn’t need full sun, just the light getting into your house will do it. Relax, if you leave it and it doesn’t fix itself, worst case you’re back at this point again.
Just read through the thread and this is exactly what I was going to say, deema beat me to it!
Granted not floorboards, but I had a similar situation with an old pine table I sanded down and refinished. Came out patchy and uneven, looked pretty similar to your photos but now 8 years later you'd never tell, it's evened out nicely.

What's happened is you've exposed some fresh wood and possibly missed some bits (or just not got as deep) - pine darkens with exposure to light so the fresh pale bits will gradually dull down to match the rest in time.

I had looked into liming wax but read you need to put that on before staining? Would osmo be the same or can it be put on after?
As said above, the osmo is an oil with a tint. Loads of shades to choose from.... the osmo should be fine over a stain

Back