Playing again

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodrighy

Established Member
Reaction score
Took another break from doing things everyone else wants and did this

Sycamore. Ebonised foot and burnt edge. Approx8" tall, 6b 1/2" max dia. and turned to 4mm thick.

Comments critiques etc welcome

Pete

Very nice indeed Pete :D
Nice shape and finish,looks silky smooth.
Only crit would be the ebonising on the foot.I think i would have kept it off the stem,or not so high up.
How do you hold them on the lathe.With a chuck :?:

Thanks Steve and Paul.

I turn the rough shape out between centres to get rid of some of the weight as turning it wet it is pretty heavy, then turn a tenon for the chucking. I use the tenon to slot into the foot.

Pete

Very nice !

The waney edge gives it just that something special !

Loz

I like that one Pete, rustic but still retaining a classic shape, colour contrasts just enough to act as highlights.

Fantastic piece of turning, shows skilled tool control & knowing
the way wood works..The The ebonized foot make foot makes it stand
out even more..
The finish looks outstanding.... =D>
Thanks for taking pics and posting them I know it can be a bit of a bind
but it shows us newbies what can be achieved with practice & practice..
alex

That's a turn up for the books. I put it on another forum and it sold in 10 minutes even though I wasn't trying to sell. Never had that happen before. Must be Christmas or something :lol: :lol: That's another grandchild who can have a Christmas present

Pete

I'm not surprised that sold, a wonderfull piece. Thanks for taking the time to post it. Gives us new boys something to aim at! How do you get such a seamless joint between the foot and the main body? Do you join it and then remount on the lathe? Or is it just really accurate turning before joining?

Best Regards

Matthew

|Thank you for the compliments.

The foot was turned seperately with the recess for the tenon on the bottom of the vase. The vase was then insrted and held on, stuffed with paper and the tailstock brought up and the outside tapered to match. Hope thast explain s it. It was then ebonised off the lathe before gluing together.

Pete

Haven't got a bad word to say about that Pete, Its really nice.
Just to echo whats been said before.. classic shape, very asthetically pleasing, looks like a belting finish .. I like the foot, it lifts the vase section for me... its a truly lovely piece.
Retains your rustic signature, yet has enough subtle differences to make it not immediately recognisable as a 'Bodders' , and sometimes its nice to have that element of 'surprise' ! I love it.. its a corker ! :D

Back