plastic laminate/formica

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluekingfisher

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to build a new router table top and some workshop fences and I want to cover them with plastic laminate sheet.

Does anyone know where I can purchase this stuff from? I've done some internet searching and a trawl of yellow pages but can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

Is it actually called plastic laminate? is this the same stuff that used to be called formica?

I've also tried the local sheds but they can't even order it, would a builders merchants or timber yard be worth contacting ](*,)

Thanks in advance

Try searching for High Pressure Laminate and yes Formica is a trade name much like Hoover.

Jason

I just bought some sheets of coloured melamine from a company called International Decorative Surfaces. They have a number of branches around the country - you can find the nearest one to you through the Polyrey website. I was quoted about £25 + VAT per sheet (approx 3m x 1.5m) for their budget Polyrey Durion range.

Joel

I bought the 1P/13 Tufnol Sheet from Direct Plastics for my router table build, they are spot on with delivery as well,,

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Kenny, I have a Home base not far from me so a visit may now be in order. Although I've never seen any when in store, perhaps they may be able to order it in.

Is it thick enough for a router table surface?

Thanks again.

David

Is it thick enough for a router table surface?

There might be a smidgen of confusion here. Plastic Laminate is only a couple of mm thick. You glue it to the underlying wood. You must "balance" it with laminate on the other side to avoid warping. The balancing sheet can be a cheaper sheet if you're using expensive stuff.

Note that you can also buy laminated chipboard or (I believe) MDF but these will need a lot of bracing not to sag with use and time.

Back