adhesive

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeetstar

Established Member
Reaction score
Folks, you will most of you know those kitchen units that are finished in a very glossy plastic type finish.
I've been asked to do some work on one of these panels. The panel runs up the side of a freezer, and the plastic finish is de laminating and coming away from the MDF (I think) core.

I cant get the panel out, so need something to glue it back in situ.
It'd need to be a contact type adhesive cos I cant clamp it.
I'm worried about solvents melting the plastic dunno if that is a valid worry or not.
And it'd need to be 'thin' cos Ill need to get the plastic finish back on with no 'lumps' over beads of glue etc.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

I guess you know the difference between contact and impact adhesive, the two that you put on with a toothed/plastic comb type applicator. If not and you have to go this route go this route it will be the impact variety.
I would be looking for a heavy duty spray mount type product though. This is also a job you cannot guarantee as you do not know why the laminate has lifted.
An uncle of mine some years ago went the spray can route. All looked very good but only lasted a year or so.

Colin

@eribaMotters Being a complete ignoramus allows me to ask stupid questions like what is the difference between contact and impact adhesive? Google implies they are the same and adds grab adhesive into the mix as well.
Martin

My advice would be to change the infill panel as it’s unlikely that the glue up will be completely successful- how old is the kitchen/ is it under warranty? I’ve known these panels fail due to a manufacturer issue and often other panels from the same batch can also fail. Either way the best solution is the replacement of the panel- I’m guessing it involves removing part of the kitchen but I don’t think you will get an even coat of adhesive with the panel in situ unless you are able to access the entire de laminated section to be repaired.

for edge repairs....
use a small wedge between the loose cover and the use a spray adhesive...differing grades....masking up everywhere.....
it will get u outta a hole.....

Bingy man, both look and smell the same. They also make the same mess. It is years since I've used the stuff and I'm guessing now the labelling differs to what technically it should do. I also expect some modern tech allows you to use the adhesive in two different ways.
The difference is with contact you apply adhesive to both surfaces and wait to go touch dry. You then bring the surfaces to each other, with sticks or even newspaper holding them a set distance apart. You align the surfaces accurately and then pull the the sticks out working from one end to the other. As soon as the two surfaces make contact they bond. You do need to run a light pressure over them but you would not be able to re-align or separate the surfaces. I have laid Formica in sizes up to 3m x 0.75 m like this.
With an impact adhesive you bring the surfaces together with the adhesive wet, and you will be able to adjust the alignment. Then you press down firmly and as the surfaces impact upon one another the glue grabs and then you cannot separate the surfaces.

Colin

Last edited:
Folks, you will most of you know those kitchen units that are finished in a very glossy plastic type finish.
I've been asked to do some work on one of these panels. The panel runs up the side of a freezer, and the plastic finish is de laminating and coming away from the MDF (I think) core.

I'm worried about solvents melting the plastic dunno if that is a valid worry or not.
And it'd need to be 'thin' cos Ill need to get the plastic finish back on with no 'lumps' over beads of glue etc.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Mmmmm, sounds like a tricky one. Two concerns. 1. Any chance that cooking oil or fat has got between the topping and MDF. If so, it'll mess with any adhesive. 2. You mention that you can't clamp it. Any adhesive without pressure will result in a short-term solution. Get it under a press of sorts, or plenty weight.

I'v had the same in our kitchen, I used a photo spray mount adhesive, then put a series of coat hangers on the panel at high level and some kind of spice rack at mid level, not so easy on drawers or small doors though, in all about 20 odd wrapped panels de-laminated, secret is don't buy vinyl wrapped kitchen doors, lots of problems on the web with them, in the end we sold the house, problem solved. 🤪🤪

Alternatively, remove the vinyl wrap and spray the panel in-situ, you can probably get the paint RAL number from the manufacturer.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
If it helps I did something similar a few years ago, actually I didn’t replace as I couldn’t fathom a way to do it and guarantee it, compromise was take the plastic of the panel, re glue the edge, added a new panel onto existing, original was a white gloss and we added a complete contrast of oak MDF, made a feature of if by adding a inset chalk board and height chart. Doesn’t solve your problem if they don’t want to go this way but may help

I think you will find that the foil wrap has stretched and getting it glued snugly back on will be difficult. I would be exploring whether there is a close match in a high gloss Egger board as a substitute.
Unfortunately, once one of the panels/doors has delaminated the others tend to follow suit. The current generation of foil wrapped doors is allegedly much superior to those of 10-15 years ago.

Thanks for in put folks. Kitchen units are 8 years old and well out of warranty, though the initial installs all failed in warranty and were replaced. Sounds like it ain't going to be easy, to glue back. Maybe now thinking of some decorative battens to hold the vinyl/melamine back to the board, fit them with hooks and use them for handing ladles, spoons etc. If I use glue as well, I'll get some clamping effect as well with that arrangement.

Just to close the circle here folks, I used a contact adhesive from screwfix. I did the job in stages, circa 12ins at a time and held the very flexible melamine in place manually for a few minutes before doing the next stage. I sort of rolled the melamine up from the bottom in stages I'd you get what I mean.

Seems to have worked, its still up and solid after a week..

When it comes to finding a dependable thermal adhesive for your needs, you might have noticed that Arctic Silver, a trusted name in the field, is no longer readily available in retail channels. However, there are alternatives to consider. One option worth exploring is CONTACT-SPRAY-ADHESIVE-86593 https://www.aerospheres.com/products/adhesives/contact-spray-adhesive-86593-500-ml-aero/ . This adhesive is designed for thermal applications and can provide effective bonding while also offering good thermal conductivity. It's essential to follow the recommended application guidelines to ensure optimal performance for your specific use case. Whether you're working on electronics, DIY projects, or other applications requiring thermal adhesion, this product could be a suitable choice.

Back