How much should a gymnasium roof cost?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agent_zed

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

the gym my kid goes to has a leaking roof and is looking to have, what the newsletter is calling, a 'cover roof'. Not really sure what that means.
Whilst I haven't been up there myself to look, from memory from inside it is a metal roof with plastic sections for light. From what I've been told it is just leaking around the roof light parts, so I've no idea why they can't just repair those.

I am not a commercial builder/roofing expert so perhaps I am missing something but how on earth is it going to cost in excess of £300,000!!!

I would have understood a cover roof to be one of those temporary roofs erected over a building whilst the actual roof is stripped and replaced. I've only ever worked on one site where this was done, as it is an unaffordable luxury in most cases.
Perhaps this, coupled with the new roof equates to £300.000.- though you could buy a house for that.

I have one of my school buildings in need of a new roof and that has been quoted at £130,000 it's approximately 15m X 35m

Out of interest costing it if it was done with insulated metal sheets (5mx1m) you'd need 105 panels (3x35) (although I haven't accounted for slight overlap so even if we added another 10 to be sure that would come to £24,150.00. Let's say £25k with some fixings and sealant.

https://www.cladco.co.uk/32-1000-40mm-thickness-goosewing-insulated-panel
That leaves £105k for install costs (assuming no other works required to the structure), scaffolding and removal of the old roof.

Seems like an whole lot of money for a (few?) weeks work.

Beware there are different grades of translucent panels.The light duty type only last about 30 years before giving up. I know from bitter experience because one blew off my shed roof and water poured down on my most expensive machine, a Woodmaster drum sander. Shop around is the best advice.

Out of interest costing it if it was done with insulated metal sheets (5mx1m) you'd need 105 panels (3x35) (although I haven't accounted for slight overlap so even if we added another 10 to be sure that would come to £24,150.00. Let's say £25k with some fixings and sealant.

https://www.cladco.co.uk/32-1000-40mm-thickness-goosewing-insulated-panel
That leaves £105k for install costs (assuming no other works required to the structure), scaffolding and removal of the old roof.

Seems like an whole lot of money for a (few?) weeks work.
My roof is timber and rubberized membrane not metal sheets, it also needs completely removing and replacing due to water damage.

So roughly how big is the roof? We had to overlay a timber frame then board with Osb and then stick down EDPM rubber membrane £200k for a 20,000 sq ft building about 5 years ago. Had to do it that way because of several previously overlaid levels of asbestos and the removal cost was huge roof was complicated because of three rows of “north lights “ (vertical wiindows with angled back) along the whole length. Scaffold and safety railing was also expensive (included in £200k)

Having had some roof work done at my place recently for the tune of £750,000, I think I can see how.

I’m guessing cover roof is leaving the existing roof in place and overlaying, the same as part of mine was.

They’re hopefully adding insulation. There may be existing insulation that needs removal before adding thicker - that’s what happened for part of mine.

The final layer may be a guaranteed system through a larger company such as Garland. They won’t install it but will sign off and the installers use their products.

Access? Does it need a lift for materials as well as a tower? Those rolls of felt are heavy!!

Disposal of old materials if they are stripping?

Protection of the existing if they are stripping?

Fees for a project manager?

Without seeing the exact details it’s hard to comment but presumably they have had multiple quotes.

Back