Plano Clamps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mdotflorida

Established Member
Reaction score
Got some cash from Chrimbo and as a number of future projects coming up have panels in their construction, I'm looking at possibly investing in some Plano clamps.

As they're not that cheap, before I commit, can I get some opinions from members who may have the Plano system or experience of it.

Also are there any comparable alternatives that perform a similar task that I should consider.

Thanks Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I use these APT ones. They require a lot more user input (by way of making the clamps up using your own timber) and need bench space rather than mounting on a wall like the planos, but they work very well indeed. Their main shortcoming is that they don't cope with panels thinner than 20mm, but this is easily overcome with a strip of ply or mdf placed either side of the workpiece.

I've got three of those Axminster ones. Very useful clamps, although as MarkW says, you've got to add shims if you want to clamp anything under 20mm thick. It's not too much of a hassle and I found that I could rotate the whole assembly once the wood was clamped up and lean it against a wall while the glue dried.

They're in the rutlands sale at present too and a few quid cheaper than Axminster.

Hello Jeff,
I used to work for a company that had a 50 foot wall space totally dedicated for the Plano clamps because everything was made from solid oak panels, we had a lad who's sole job was gluing up oak boards in the plano's and I can confidently say that for clamping up large panels they are the best. No need for biscuits as the clamp by it's design, forces them flat as you exert more pressure.
You wont be dissapointed with them.
cheers,
jonathan.

Back