Planer thicknesser reviews and advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustBen

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a planer thicknesser and as I've browsed through various companies, they all seem to be the same machine but with different colours and very slight differences.

Am I right?

Axminster AW106PT2
Fox F22-568
Charnwood W583
SIP 01575
Scheppach Plana 3.0c

It also seems to be the case for the slightly smaller machines too.

Is there a list somewhere that shows who shares what and with who?
The reason I ask is because the prices vary massively for what seems to be the same machine.

I want (need really) a machine with an induction motor to keep the noise down. Universal motors hurt my ears and annoy the neighbours.

Are there any suggestions that I haven't listed?

I don't need any bigger than 10" and I don't really want to go much above £800 (or at all if possible)

I have no knowledge of it other than it looked worthy of another look in due course.

The xcaliber from woodford machinery if still available.

http://woodfordwm.co.uk

Look under new semi professional. The website has a habit of being years out of date though. Like I say I only bookmarked it for a closer look when I got time.

There seems little doubt that many of these ( and other ) machines originate from the same Chiwanese factory and are the 'same machine in different colours' but I wonder if there is a little more to it to account for the significant price differences.
It could be, of course, that some companies are making bigger profits than others but maybe we should take the Quangsheng (sp ? ) plane as an example of where different companies sell the same item at different prices but at obviously different quality control levels as well.

Well the prices vary from £648 to £870 and that's just from one website.
It's a big difference for a different paint scheme.

I have noticed the axi one is slightly different to the others but only just.

it really is a shame that the various companies dont buy one of their competitors machines, and correct the design errors before copying it, or ordering the same. The result could be so much better.

marcros":2s01ygk4 said:
it really is a shame that the various companies dont buy one of their competitors machines, and correct the design errors before copying it, or ordering the same. The result could be so much better.
Trouble is unless the other retailer uses one on a regular basis they might not not what needs improving?

I think it needs a company such as axi to listen to feedback from users and do what Mathew does with QS and talk with the manufactuers and get machines improved. Rather than keep cutting corners to keep costs down?

tool-me-up":28j508zb said:
They all seem to rotate around the same basic design to be honest. Here is the manual for Triton's 12 1/2" planer - its a brushed motor so not what your looking for but it still bears a fair resemblance to the models you posted - and is considerably cheaper ( well under £300 brand new ) http://hosting.tool-me-up.co.uk/manuals/583534_Z1MANPRO1/index.html

That's a thicknesser. I already have one of them. The makes and models listed are planer/thicknessers.

:oops: that will teach me to speed read wont it :oops:

never mind ignore my ramblings.....

EDIT: Would a seperate jointer be more suitable? Save switching the machine from one mode to the other?

I have separates and while the original idea was as above to reduce the need for flipping from one mode to the other. When i purchased mine - both axi, only the open stand version of the pt106 was available.

So now my thinking and to get away from noisy brush motors is to reduce my machinery from separates to the jet PT. Also helped is the fact that according to the sizes on the axi site, the Jet JPT260 takes up the same floor space as my Axi CT150. Especially after watching various vids on the pt106 and similar, the faff that goes with changing modes would become very tiresome very quickly. :(

I am now toying between a Metabo/Record 260 or a smaller brushed motor one.

What is the noise difference between the induction planers and the brushed planers?

I know all planers are noisy but is there a significant difference between them.

Would the elimination on the brush motor noise make a difference?

All my induction motors are very quite with just a low whir/hum so it would just be the noise of the block spinning and the planing.

I have a little brushed motor p/t. It is very noisy. With the induction motored table saw running you can talk to somebody without raising your voice. With the planer going you have to shout into their ear. I have a big 9" circular saw and it's a lot louder than that.

Hi there I was in the same position myself a few months ago and to be honest couldn't make a decision which way to go. Eventually I ended up buying a second hand dewalt dw1150 which was in good condition, I decided on this model as all the reviews I read were of a positive note, regards build quality and performance. This is powered by an induction motor so relatively quiet when switching on. Replacement blades are easily available ( I bought mine from appleby woodturnings). I also retro fitted a wixey digital remote planer readout purrchased from allendale this makes thicknessing a doodle and extremely accurate. All in all I am more than satisfied with my p/t and would only change it if I was upgrading to a larger machine and in fact even then I would probably be very reluctant to part with it. The complete set up cost me slightly under £400.00

Back