Planer / Thicknesser delivery

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avengerwrc

Reaction score
I have purchased a new Hammer planer / thicknesser from Felder in Milton Keynes and I want it delivered to my home workshop in south Oxfordshire. Any suggestions on who could do this. It weighs 250KG and is on a pallet. I don't want it just dumped on the drive it needs to be manoeuvred into my workshop.
Colin.

I thought they provided an installation/set-up service

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha. 🤣 😂 😅 😆

When I contacted Felder/Hammer about buying a sliding saw, I had to make my own arrangements for shipping from the factory in Austria, as well as assembly and commissioning. The only service Felder would provide would be to convert my money into a machine 90-120 days later. Maybe.

So did I..!

Mike, ....Your comments really surprised me!
Is that Felder/Hammer company policy in the UK as well as mainland Europe then...?

I can't speak for the UK policies, only my experience in Germany. I recall similar conversations on a U.S. forum where one of the members was also a Felder, and later SCM, sales representative. Commissioning was never part of the contract, but I don't know about delivery.

The SCM tech who commissioned my SCM saw is also a Felder, Martin, and Altendorf tech. He told me the only machines that don't include commissioning are the Felder/Hammer.

I have received 2 Hammer machines from Milton Keynes to my home. Both delivered incredibly well packaged and delivered by a lorry on a tail lift and in both cases right into my workshop. I expect this is going to depend on how far your workshop is from the nearest access, ground conditions/path to your workshop etc but that will be a challenge no matter who you are buying from. With the exception of bolting on fences, fitting wheel kits and a 16A blue plug there was nothing else to do. All ready set up, nothing to adjust. In the case of the planer thicknesser (A3-26) the factory set up sheet was included with the engineers values recorded against each parameter. Nothing done since except using them from 2018 in the case of the planer and 2019 for the bandsaw

Attachments

• D271FF0A-89E3-4982-A2D1-0A8F58B3C12E.jpeg
    D271FF0A-89E3-4982-A2D1-0A8F58B3C12E.jpeg
    830.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 6CCE519A-8A5F-4EA9-858A-73861B2A01FA.jpeg
    6CCE519A-8A5F-4EA9-858A-73861B2A01FA.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
I have purchased a new Hammer planer / thicknesser from Felder in Milton Keynes and I want it delivered to my home workshop in south Oxfordshire. Any suggestions on who could do this. It weighs 250KG and is on a pallet. I don't want it just dumped on the drive it needs to be manoeuvred into my workshop.
Colin.
You can hire pallet trolleys. You might need a scaffold board or two if there are steps.
250kg is the weight of 3 1/2 blokes - not a lot.

Last edited:
I'd be surprised if they dumped it on your drive but it may be worth asking them what the delivery service consists of.

When I got mine I picked it up but had four hefty builders on hand to help move it when I got back.

I'd be surprised if they dumped it on your drive but it may be worth asking them what the delivery service consists of.

When I got mine I picked it up but had four hefty builders on hand to help move it when I got back.

When having a machine dumped on your drive, this is not the preferred method.

did you ask about delivery when my machine was delivered it was a third party delivery company he used his pallet truck and 3 of us moved it into the workshop up a sloping driveway

Standard pallet delivery services in my experience are to kerbside, and anything more is at the discretion of the driver, who is commonly alone. In which case it's up to you what happens next. But I suggest that you make arrangements to transfer the machine from kerbside to workshop.

Will your entrance doorway accept a pallet? That'll decide where you de-pallet the machine.

I've routinely handled machines up to 350kgs at my premises by myself, without mechanised assistance, and including being ramped in and out of vehicles. You just need to be prepared, so think it through first. Ramps, rollers, rope, chocks ...

When having a machine dumped on your drive, this is not the preferred method.

Good job it was in a cardboard box!
I had my Minimax Lab30 dropped (gently) at the door. Just one step and a wide door so not too difficult to get inside.
If in doubt beg borrow two pallet trucks not just one and get someone to help.
I helped a mate who insisted one trolly was enough for his heavy old machine but hadn't reckoned on the unequal distribution of weight, which meant that one wheel went through the floor boards.

Last edited:
I picked up my planer from Milton keynes ( it was actually in a different unit up the road from the main office ) they were happy to forklift it into the van for me no problem.
They quoted a silly price and would only do "kerbside delivery" through a third party, this is why I elected to pick it up myself but I am only an hour or so away from there anyway.

It comes well packaged and fully shrink wrapped. It is actually bolted onto a long slim pallet with metal sides and plywood top, it took me a couple of hours to commission the machine once I got it in the workshop.
For manouvering into the workshop I suggest its best to leave it on the pallet whilst moving it, pallet jacks can be hired for the day or you could use a couple of dollies.

extra tip.
The machine is great but you might need to slacken off the feed roller tension, mine was set extremely high from factory and was sniping as a result, I adjusted it till it stopped sniping (both rollers) and its been happy ever since.

Ollie

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back