planer/jointer advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodaxed

Established Member
Reaction score
i mainly make bandsaw boxes and need a planer to remove to bandsaw marks from the back of the box i normally use 6" x 4" which i get planed up so its just the back than needs planing. ive been looking at the sip planer http://www.sipuk.co.uk/tools/info_SIP01543.html
i know that im not going to be able to do much with it but with some tweaking would i be able to plane small peices of stock.
Also are there any good youtube vids on how to use it ive still got all my fingers and want it to stay that way
buy small i mean 6" x 10" smallest would be 8" x 3"

A planer machine is not really suitable for planing small pieces of timber (depending, of course, on you definition of "small"). You would be much better off with a well-tuned hand plane, as Carl suggests.
S

As Steve says a planer is not ideal for small pieces of timber. It's also not suited to planing thin stock (which you might want for boxes)even if you use it with some form of sled on the bed.

Drum sanders are expensive to buy and so you might want to try hand planing with a shooting board.
Andy

Back