Plane storage

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a feeling Shop Notes did something similar some years ago - but contained within a cabinet. Might have been dovetailed perhaps? Ringing any bells with anyone? Such a system is definitely something to consider with the ever expanding tool kit. If you've got enough wall... :wink:

I'd be tempted to angle the edges of the horizontals, so they form dovetailed keyways.

Shouldn't be too difficult to make lengths of matching dovetail key on the bandsaw, and fix pieces onto anything you want to slide into place. As long as you remember to leave enough space to clear the uprights.

Or am I thinking back'ards?
Regards
John :)

Very clever, Neil. As so often, utterly obvious... and it had not occurred to me or, indeed, some others. Might have to "borrow" your design at some point in the future.

I really like that too (who couldn't?). It's a nicer, woody, take on slat-wall. And pretty quick and simple.

Why not take say an 8x4 sheet of 19mm ply and cut it ino a load of say 90mm strips, then cut 30mm off each strip at 45degrees to form a load of french cleats.

You could then screw the larger parts to the wall at say 4" centres so that you have a very similar sysytem to that posted by Neil, but with the added bonus of having the "shelf hangers" ready to go at any time.

Cheers

Aled

eoinsgaff":3d7mwx42 said:
I think I understand what you're saying. A pic from the side would help.

Eoin
Thanks again for the kind comments everyone but to be honest I can't take the credit for the design (I'm not that brainy). Something similar was featured in American Woodworker Issue 138 which was published in Oct/Nov 2008. Having used it for well over a year I wouldn't change a thing with it. There's no need for any fancy enhancements at all, its extremely strong as it is. Hope the picture makes it more clear Eoin.
Regards,
Neil
4274870112_37f8e239e5_b.jpg

Coming back down to the bargain basement for a moment, here are some of mine ready to hand:

IMG_3444-1.jpg

This is in my nice cool dry basement - the shelves are between walls of the old chimney breast.

IMG_3442.jpg

Dust is removed automatically each time one is used!

Some very nice solutions to plane storage here, guys. Most impressive!

I saw a nice tool cabinet the other month, so I thought I'd post the link here. It's about 120 years old or so, but still a rather nice cabinet. Too bad there's only the one photograph of it though. The link is:

http://www.toolchest-site.com/ribbon-ma ... ur-sorrill

Latest posts

Back