Plane storage

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
Although this has had an airing in the pst, I haven't been able to locate a recent thread. What's prompted me is that I need something better for my meagre collection of planes. I've come up with the following observations. i have come at this from the perspective of someone who wants to make a modicum of a living out of woodwork.

1) Sticking them in a drawer (where they currently are) means 'out of sight, out of mind' and I automatically reach for the machines.

2) Sticking them in a drawer is not very time-effective in retrieving them for use

3) Sticking them in socks is pointless as you waste time taking them out/putting them back.

So it's a wallhung unit of some description. Not a cupboard - too much depth and those doors will get in the way - or else will always be open.

But how to store/organise the planes ? Seems to me to be several favoured methods...

There's vertical

100_1822.JPG

A combination

Werkzeugschrank_11.JPG

On shelves

plane_rack.jpg

I like this one

finished%20cabinet3.jpg

but can't make up my mind if it's more ergonomic to store them on their sides or sole down.

So...an invitation to post pictures of your plane storage and, naturally, a wonderful gloat opportunity. :wink:

Roger

The one you like is Philly's I think, it's very practicable and easy to access the planes. Good luck with your decision and do the WIP as you move forward.

Waka":1g2pbh5l said:
Roger

The one you like is Philly's I think, it's very practicable and easy to access the planes. Good luck with your decision and do the WIP as you move forward.

It is Philly's. WIP? Of a few bits of orange box nailed together? That's much more my style. Function over design and aesthetics...

I just stick most of mine on a shelf under the bench, easy, simple, good access. I have two or three vertical on the 'Tool Wall' and another couple stored horizontally to one side - Rob

Here's mine. It's not the most efficient, but it works.

8d668296.jpg

I'm considering a different approach to be honest as I'm running out of space :roll: I do like the vertical approach as shown in the tool cabinet in your first pic, but I also like the efficiency of Philly's shelves. I'm going to follow this thread with great interest.

I'm a little nervous about building a fully blown tool cabinet, as I know that I'd outgrow it, and then would have to make another, and then outgrow that one etc. etc.

Cheers

Aled

Aled Dafis":1vrj3cp2 said:
8d668296.jpg

I'm a little nervous about building a fully blown tool cabinet, as I know that I'd outgrow it, and then would have to make another, and then outgrow that one etc. etc.

Cheers

Aled
Words of wisdom from a true collector :lol: :lol: - Rob

Unless you haven't got enough work on and need something to do - shelves.

Shelves work only if you have a reasonable wall space and can afford the luxury of having lots of 'wasted' space since not all planes are the same height. If you lay the planes down then the shelves will jut out too much into the space above the bench.

I suppose Rob has it right. They did call most of them 'Bench-planes' after all! :lol:

It's nice to have posh storage for them of course, but the main thing is getting at them when you need them, without a jaunt across the shop...

John

Roger:

If it's any help.

My planes are in a plain deal cupboard 30" x 24" x 8" deep. The planes are on adjustable shelves inside, and the door is clad with matchboard. It's over my workbench, and the only disadvantage, is the room to swing the door open. I could photograph it, but it's like the Himalayas outside!

Mike G is at a distinct advantage here of course, eh Mike?

John

Benchwayze":1qwxv0sy said:
!

Mike G is at a distinct advantage here of course, eh Mike?

John
John... you know what this thread is going to do to him doncha? 8-[ :whistle: :lol: :lol:

wwerttttttt.jpg

Here's a fairly oldish pic of the 'Tool Wall' - Rob

RogerS":35amkrw5 said:
Looking at your excellent 'wall', Rob, I can see that I appear to have tied one arm behind my back with the positioning of my bench.

wshop4.jpg
Rog - I tried my bench under a window and couldn't get on with it...far too much daylight falling onto the surface giving a lot of glare... too much for my eyes - Rob

They are all very impressive, and i'm sure once you know your layout of the set up putting a tool anywhere else (well)

Thanks for some good ideas Gary

Here's mine:

2rcu5o3.jpg

The planes are there soles down, but there is a batten on the back of every shelf: when you place the toe of the plane over the batten the irons do not touch the shelf.

My plane shelf isn't flashy at all, like the presentation shelves earlier on the thread. On the other hand it is ultimately versatile and does not take very much space. And if you have problems identifying your planes by just looking at the totes, you are not using them enough :wink:

Pekka

Back