Plane Shoot-Out: Woodriver 5½, Stanley 4½ & 5½, Veritas 4½

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
iNewbie":2alc6dcg said:
If you feel that way -that its about money- buy a wooden one.
That's not what Ed's said. He's tested and found there to be little difference in his tests between the different planes. Given that, it makes little sense to spend more on the 'premium' brands if they don't deliver anything more for him.
Wooden planes are different issue and not relevant to this test.

Rhossydd":1jqh6s92 said:
iNewbie":1jqh6s92 said:
If you feel that way -that its about money- buy a wooden one.
That's not what Ed's said. He's tested and found there to be little difference in his tests between the different planes. Given that, it makes little sense to spend more on the 'premium' brands if they don't deliver anything more for him.
Wooden planes are different issue and not relevant to this test.

I got what he was saying, honest - which is why I said in a round-a-bout way: if yer considering theres not much difference and savin' funds is a thought then get a woodie. /No children were harmed in my post.

iNewbie":1m8mi7k9 said:
if yer considering theres not much difference and savin' funds is a thought then get a woodie.
Not really relevant. The only wooden planes(ECE) with similar convenience of screw adjusters for depth of cut and blade attitude are no cheaper than the equally well performing Chinese models.

Wow, I go to work and look what happens. Good job I didn't go on about sharpening lord knows where we could have ended up. :roll:

Hi Ed,

Ed Bray":x54ei08p said:
Wow, I go to work and look what happens. Good job I didn't go on about sharpening lord knows where we could have ended up. :roll:

I think that you should have produced a video of how you sharpened each of the blades. Then it could have been examined in minute detail. :wink:

Neil

Rhossydd":2vptsigb said:
matt_southward":2vptsigb said:
I for one would never have thought to compare shaving thickness
What sort of criteria will you choose to judge it by ?
Not trying to make waves, but shaving thickness seems a reasonable criteria to me. Given the right test equipment, at least it gives some sort of objective results.

Did I say something controversial? I hardly thought so. Merely that I wouldn't have thought to make the comparison that way - I in no way inferred that Ed's test wasn't worth doing that way, instead I expressed my interest in the results. Now Ed himself said he thought that the differences made little difference in the real world - and besides, what are we as woodworkers really interested in, the shavings or the wood that is left behind?

I agree that it's difficult to make objective comparisons of such mature technology - reviews are rarely that objective anyway (so fair play to Ed there). I thought that I had already said that my interest is not in the shaving thickness so much as my own subjective view on how well the tool performs its function particularly in comparison to my Clifton, which I'm not 100% happy with (for the money I paid).

Corneel":8zegnpqq said:
You've still got a long way to go! :lol:

azuma3.JPG

In the spirit of Charles larking about at the end of the day I got this from my 99p wooden jack. Not to corneel's standard but not bad. Timber is beech. Thinking of offering a bespoke net curtain service :D

Fine Shaving.jpg

Attachments

• Fine Shaving.jpg
    Fine Shaving.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 1,727
matt_southward":3mj8cyea said:
what are we as woodworkers really interested in, the shavings or the wood that is left behind?
Absolutely, but surely the two are inextricably linked ?
Thin smooth shavings = fine finish
how well the tool performs its function particularly in comparison to my Clifton
I'll be interested to read your findings.

G S Haydon":23eppjse said:
In the spirit of Charles larking about at the end of the day I got this from my 99p wooden jack. Not to corneel's standard but not bad. Timber is beech. Thinking of offering a bespoke net curtain service :D

Nice! But did you measure it? :lol:

Rhossydd":7gqmk9xs said:
matt_southward":7gqmk9xs said:
what are we as woodworkers really interested in, the shavings or the wood that is left behind?

True enough. I guess it comes down to the degree of fineness that we need for any given task - which obviously varies. I've still a way to go to get shavings as fine as Graham and Corneel, but can still manage a glass-smooth finish. Though not always!

Corneel":gn5kfo7a said:
G S Haydon":gn5kfo7a said:

Nice! But did you measure it? :lol:
Brings to mind the old farmers saying - you don't fatten pigs by weighing them. :D

matt_southward":3lqy8nvl said:
Rhossydd":3lqy8nvl said:
matt_southward":3lqy8nvl said:

True enough. I guess it comes down to the degree of fineness that we need for any given task - which obviously varies. I've still a way to go to get shavings as fine as Graham and Corneel, but can still manage a glass-smooth finish. Though not always!
Personally I want thick heavy shavings and a smooth finish. It's quicker that way and a better test of a plane.

G S Haydon":2jz9751w said:

Imagine how good a £2 wooden jack would be! :D

BugBear

Back