Plane Deal

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
squib":39ui3rc6 said:
I think that what is on sale is just basically the materials needed and that you are maybe buying the seconds, with your skill Jim you should start from scratch and maintain your own quality control because there is nothing worse than trying to correct others mistakes....but those cap irons are nice :roll:

HA! For quality control substitute "crisis control" when I start!

I am currently ploughing through sand casting techniques and mould pattern making...this is heavy going....and I think it is rather like trying to explain to someone how to tie a shoelace...it makes perfect sense once you know but explaining it (even with pictures) is a nightmare.

I feel a course coming on...."Foundation Foundry for Beginners" would be the title I think! :D

Jim

There's a lot of surmising going on here? :)
My guess it was somebody making them overtime and selling them on the Bay as antiques?

Pity they are not being sold individually as I would take a punt?
Having made one of Aled's would like to have another go at peining!

These designs have been around long time - I have one of Jim Kingshott's books which has several infill plane designs though he tended to use Norris Adjusters as well.

Bristol Designs used to sell brass castings - don't know if they have any left?
And Jim, the last time I looked, the closing date was 18 December?

Rod

I think that having done a lot of work on my own bits of steel plate from scratch, the idea of paying a lot for a kit (or number of kits in this case) would feel like just finishing off someone else's work.
The vast amount of labour has already been done, and the design has already been designed.
I can't really tell what gauge the soles are in those pictures but I'm sure they're not 6mm which is what I'm using and I'm sure I would always be thinking they were too thin if I were to take these on. So I will stick to doing all my own work and design using steel I got for free.
And, of course, I'm building the plane around the iron rather than vice versa.

AndyT":1564cke6 said:
Incidentally, I think that whoever made all these was likely to have been following Bill Carter's techniques - he's always been very open about them.

I wouldn't be sure of that.

Following the explosion of interest in infills over the last decade, there's information all over net, from many people (including Mr Carter).

Or even the Sainted Kingshott's book.

BugBear

Having paid your £1,250 plus £25 for P&P the seller holds you responsible to claim from the postage service if it goes astray ie in their terms they include 'In the unlikely event of your item being lost or damaged
in transit we will provide customers with the necessary
information for them to make a claim from the postal
service concerned - WE WILL NOT BE HELD LIABLE FOR LOSS
OR DAMAGE CAUSED IN TRANSIT.'.

Since you don't have a contract with the postal service how can you make a claim? I've seen this term on a number of commercial sellers on E-Bay and it has put me off buying from them. Has anybody had to make such a claim?

Keith

If they have sent recorded delivery & have taken the correct level on insurance out it's generally ok.

I had a fight with royal mail lasting >8months as I was only insured to £30 (their standard free insurance). When I sent >£800 worth of computer stuff (3 seperate packages, 1 made it 2 vanished) back to my house. I had to argue that they hadn't told me I wasn't insured to £500 like I thought I was.

Their "investigation" was a joke they basically phoned the postmaster of the post office i used and asked him if he had cocked up which of course he said no :roll: .

By the end I was writing letters to the CEO, and they ended up settling with me for ~ £100 less than I was claiming for.

The other joke was I sent them my proof of postage which basically worked against me as it showed I had the wrong level of cover. The real kick in the nuts was it turned out if I had not sent it and claimed I'd lost it they would have paid out as and I pretty much quote word for word "It would be bad luck for that [proof of postage] to have been lost in the post as well"

The Eriba Turner":60c4hcbn said:
- WE WILL NOT BE HELD LIABLE FOR LOSS
OR DAMAGE CAUSED IN TRANSIT.'.

Keith

I refuse to deal with any seller that uses that copout. Until it's in my mitts the seller is responsible as far as I'm concerned, if it goes awol I expect a full refund. Getting their money back from the Courier is their concern not mine.

We've a regular seller over here who always states "post at your risk".

I won't buy either with that sort of disclaimer (unless I'm desperate of course.... :cry: ). We're talking tools here, not Ming vases. They're not hard to package well against damage.

And if they're lost in transit - well, as Eriba Turner posted, the sender is the one who made the contract with the courier. Why palm off responsibility to the buyer?

Cheers, Vann

I think he is in Bognor Regis and for £1250 I would drive over there...

I have delved deeper into the auction and aside from the caps...I could make the rest of it...I was just being lazy...but it is a possibility once he finds he won't sell that if he wants to sell individual items that I might go for the small mitre even if it is just to look at the design aspect.

The wood used is not particularly exotic and for these sort of planes it needs to be "something special" for me.

I am going to cast my own lever caps when I get the foundry going in the new year and will turn the knobs so for now...I am just "watching with interest".

Re the postage...these claims are just a cop out. When I sell stuff...all over the world...I make sure the postage suits the item and the insurance matches and then I follow up the claim. You have to use "signed for" for most things especially overseas and I track this also....cons work both ways ya know!

Jim

This thread is a long way off topic, and it's a long time since I sat through lectures on contract law, but I do recall learning that the legal position with the Royal Mail is not what most people expect. IIRC the key term is "common carrier" and I expect googling that would find an explanation.

By the way, anyone wanting cast bronze lever caps could do worse than ask at Bristol Design - I mentioned this before in this thread - you can see one on the assembled plane in the second picture and another is just peeping into the shot in the first.

I'm not touting for business - it's just that they don't really have a web presence so get forgotten by those not local.

Back