Plane Deal

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm! - Very tempting

One month before Christmas - HWMBO would chop my balls off if I did!

Dodge":b86q6tlh said:
Hmmm! - Very tempting

One month before Christmas - HWMBO would chop my balls off if I did!

Well at least you'd have something to do and, she would have something to hang on the Christmas Tree, win, win situation.

No idea. That's a hellofalota work there and my first thought was well worth the money. But I see there are no irons pictured. It would be quite a task to find good, old ones to fit/grind to fit.
Maybe it was yet another failed kit enterprise - can't see why though; it looks like good stuff that would fetch far more as finished planes.

There are still plenty of old and new-old-stock irons around - Charles Stirling at Bristol Design has a whole wall of them.

There are plenty of people round this forum who could make a decent job of these kits too. Jimi? You could use all the time in the winter sunday mornings, when there are no bootfairs to go to!

Eddie...can I use you as a co-respondent in my divorce proceedings!

Boy...I am SORELY tempted....oh HEAVEN....OMG...

The first word out of my mouth was OMG!!!!!

NO! Resist...resist....

(what can I sell...the wife...the cats...the kids...the car...)

I'm silently crying now...(no...I'm actually crying!)

:D

Jim

You sell the planes, after you've made them!
Your wife and kids and cats can help with the business (well maybe not the cats). You've got the skills, you'd enjoy doing it. Work out the costs, and a selling price. You could offer some as kits - to tempt those who could spend a hundred or so but not a grand.

Like BB, I'm wondering what the story is behind this. If any of you infill maniacs should get into correspondence with the seller and would like to ask...?

Go on, Jim - reckon you could turn a profit there without recourse to selling the cat. :wink:

What I am seriously concerned about is that everyone is concerned about me selling the cats! No issue with the wife or kids...just the cats!!

:D

I have thought about this and thought about a "group" investment...then I thought of lots of other things...

Just out of interest...how many people on this forum WOULD be interested in either a) a finished product or b) a kit and if so which one(s)....and how much would you pay for your choice.

There are a number of things that prevent me from not immediately taking the plunge - the foremost of which is capital...but I have to also consider a pending hospital visit....

HOWEVER...this is teasing me greatly...

Ideas compadres!?

Jim

I wouldn't mind a pop at the 24" jointer.

As a group buy, they average out at about £85 each (obviously there would be a bit of a fudge factor depending on which kit), but if you're doing it as a busimess venture you'd need to increaee that to cover your costs/turn over a profit.

Cheers
Aled

It's difficult to see the cut and pre-finish quality...I can see a few chips out of one back infill already...

This sort of auction would have been better being sold as individual lots to be quite honest and I notice it is nearly over with no takers.

I might drop the seller an email to the effect that should the sale not go through he should consider selling them individually...I think he would have more takers.

I would prefer not to start my new venture based on kits but it would be a thought...I would rather make each one by hand and once finished I think I would feel each had a character. I don't really want to make a killing out of it...just produce something to leave behind of which I will be proud.

I shall be watching this with interest.

Jim

Thinking a bit more about this... it's not a get rich quick opportunity at all. To get a return which could count as an income, you'd need to turn these into planes that sold for thousands. But without being known - who would pay that much to a new maker, instead of going to someone like Bill Carter?

Incidentally, I think that whoever made all these was likely to have been following Bill Carter's techniques - he's always been very open about them.

I agree with you Jimi - the seller would be better advised to split them up in batches to attract buyers who would be willing to spend the time to make one for their own use, but would not want to start a vulnerable business.

I want one of those mitre planes...I simply love those designs...but hey...I have 01 steel sheet...I already have some brass sheet...I have plenty of hardwood just waiting to be whittled...I have the kiln...so....

What is worth its weight in bronze are the lever caps...but I am working on the home foundry since getting that wonderful present from my dear friend Adam.

Mind you...that 24" jointer looks the biz! I always wanted one of those...a lovely sleek design originally inspired by the S&S boys...

BoxwoodNo1ss.jpg

That is inspiration!

Jim

jimi43":813xt4rx said:
I want one of those mitre planes...I simply love those designs...but hey...I have 01 steel sheet...I already have some brass sheet...I have plenty of hardwood just waiting to be whittled...I have the kiln...so....

What is worth its weight in bronze are the lever caps...but I am working on the home foundry since getting that wonderful present from my dear friend Adam.

Mind you...that 24" jointer looks the biz! I always wanted one of those...a lovely sleek design originally inspired by the S&S boys...

BoxwoodNo1ss.jpg

That is inspiration!

Jim

Holy .....!

That is an impressive plane Jim! I just don´t like the rear handle, I mean it is a plane not a saw!

Ali

I think that what is on sale is just basically the materials needed and that you are maybe buying the seconds, with your skill Jim you should start from scratch and maintain your own quality control because there is nothing worse than trying to correct others mistakes....but those cap irons are nice :roll:

I think it is the boxwood that I love in that example..they make one in rosewood but I just love the cream with silver...it looks so posh!

And I must change the word "inspired" to "revived"...before our local pedant tells me which British Infill maker actually started it...

If my memory serves me correctly and with reference to Christie's Collectors Guides - Woodworking Tools.....Spiers made an early one followed by others by Norris (or is it the other way around!?)

Sauer and Steiner take it one step further!

I love the boxwood but the African blackwood ones aren't shabby either!

twoA2ss_s2.jpg

:shock:

Jim

Latest posts

Back