Plane again

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themack

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Following on from my last thread, I am sorry, another question..:rolleyes:
I have also restored a little Stanley 102 block plane, it's sharp as anything, but I am not happy with it. Not really good for chamfering.
So I investigated this forum and the web for a new block plane. Veritas and Lie Nielsen is to expensive for my skill and liking. Has anyone got one of those Axminster Rider ones?
I quite like the idea of this one as I have a couple of Ulmia wooden ones which are awesome.

1682446865114.png

I've bought a few cheap 2nd hand block planes, and there's only one of them I really like. It's a Stanley 9 1/2. It fits in my hand really nicely, and everything fits together really nicely. I have another of the same basic design and it no where near as nice. It looks the same superficially but when you look closely the parts don't fit together so well and the standard of finish is poorer. The blade isn't held as firmly and it constantly needs readjusting making it a pain to use. The good one is solid and stays set; so it's a pleasure to use.

My conclusion is that its not easy picking a block plane that suits you. You really need to get hold of it and have a feel. That's what's good about being able to buy from a store (or good second hand emporium). There's an Axminster store in Cardiff. Could you get over to there and try a few in the hand? It might be worth giving them a ring first.

102 is a tiny plane for little odd jobs. My preferred, general purpose, most used, is Stanley 220

I've bought a number of items from Dictum and the first few orders were bought at the German VAT free price. For some reason I wasn't charged the expected UK VAT or Customs charges when I imported them - I didn't ask why, suprprisingly enough! :)
Happy days, but....my last order was a Veritas L/A Block Plane as it was cheaper buying it VAT free in Germany and thought I'd get away with not paying UK VAT again,......however, it didn't work as I had UK VAT and a £12 handling charge to pay before Parcel Force would release my package - this made it more expensive than buying it in the UK. I had to learn the hard way :-(
So, beware of buying from Dictum; you might end up having to pay UK VAT, and at least a £12 handling charge, plus possibly a Customs charge too.
As well, I had to send the Veritas plane back to Germany which was a pain the backside and had to pay the VAT again on the exchange item, although you can claim it back on returned items from HMRC - another pain in the ass though!

Last edited:
I've bought a number of items from Dictum and the first few orders were bought at the German VAT free price. For some reason I wasn't charged the expected UK VAT or Customs charges when I imported them - I didn't ask why, suprprisingly enough! :)
Happy days, but....my last order was a Veritas L/A Block Plane as it was cheaper buying it VAT free in Germany and thought I'd get away with not paying UK VAT again,......however, it didn't work as I had UK VAT and a £12 handling charge to pay before Parcel Force would release my package - this made it more expensive than buying it in the UK. I had to learn the hard way :-(
So, beware of buying from Dictum; you might end up having to pay UK VAT, and at least a £12 handling charge, plus possibly a Customs charge too.
As well, I had to send the Veritas plane back to Germany which was a pain the backside and had to pay the VAT again on the exchange item, although you can claim it back on returned items from HMRC - another pain in the ass though!
brexit

Rob,
r they both Stanley 9.1/2's.....?
I often wonder if two are the same off the production line.....?
I bought a used one here and it's rubbish outta the box.....
My little old Stanley hasn't seen daylight in 4 years.....hoping soon tho....

It's amazing what these sunny uplands look like, another brexit benefit.

I had the lie neilsen 102 low angle block plane, at times I regret selling it now especially since the asking price has almost doubled!

Back