pivot hinge for murphy bed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waidy1986

Reaction score
Hi,

First time posting on here. :D

I'm building a horizontal folding murphy bed as part of a camper van conversion and I'm struggling to find a suitable pivot. All the ones I've found so far are either for glass doors or don't look strong enough to take the weight of the bed plus occupants. I've found a website with a design I'm using for reference but can't find anything like the pivot the guy used on his bed - picture attached.

Does anyone know somewhere I might buy something like it please? Preferably UK seller as I want to get started ASAP and don't want to have to wait for shipping.

Cheers

pivot.jpg

Attachments

• pivot.jpg
    pivot.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 607
Waidy1986":356ka0t3 said:
I'm building a horizontal folding murphy bed as part of a camper van conversion and I'm struggling to find a suitable pivot.
Häfele does them. Below are images of the type, but you'll probably also need to buy gas pistons to hold the bed safely in the closed position. Slainte.

27195204D1.gif

27195204P1.JPEG

I should probably have mentioned that T & S Architectural can supply the same, or similar hardware, which may be useful because you shouldn't need to set up an account to buy from them, unlike Häfele which I linked you to earlier. Slainte.

Hi,
Thanks for the replies. I had considered a chair swivel mount, but I was concerned it might not be up to the shear force from being loaded laterally. I'd also looked at murphy bed kits and was hoping to avoid using them as I'm on a tight budget for this project. I've already got the gas struts and I've now found a pivot hinge that looks as though it should be up to the job. Thanks very much for the suggestions though. :D

Hi,
I think the hinges you are looking for are known as "rock'n'roll" hinges. Try looking for VW campervan parts suppliers, you might even find them on #bay in the campervan parts section.
Hope this helps,
Dave.

Back