Pippy oak Kitchen (sort of WIP)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superunknown

Established Member
Reaction score
Thought I would share some photos from the latest project I am working on. A pippy oak kitchen. Not finished, but I feel looking good so far and worth sharing some pics :)

5494288802_492c24076d.jpg

5499638382_936086eb98.jpg

5506497951_e9a8d5d1c4.jpg

5509388165_5ea7a8d9ed.jpg

Hope interesting to all :)

That is looking very nice indeed - What finish are you planning on using?

Rog

The finish will be a hand applied Osmo polyx. I am very impressed with Osmo products, its a lovely finish and very hard wearing. I'm not a fan of spraying PU or whatever, although I do have to sometimes.

superunknown":b6vdjo5v said:
The finish will be a hand applied Osmo polyx. I am very impressed with Osmo products, its a lovely finish and very hard wearing. I'm not a fan of spraying PU or whatever, although I do have to sometimes.

That looks nice =D>

I just bought a tin of that osmo polyx, I need to apply it on some oak, I'm really keen to see how good that stuff is.

Looks great mate, the Oak on those panels looks beautiful. I've never bought Pippy Oak before. Can you tell me how much you spent on the Oak for this job please?

Cheers _Dan.

superunknown":3jlq2mba said:
I have no idea of the cost of the oak my client bought it all and supplied it to me.

5436797992_8dc5379874.jpg

The wastage must be huge, looks like firewood to me!

Lovely when it's made into things though

Aidan

That's looking lovely. Never worked in pippy oak, and now I want to! Osmo PolyX is great stuff - and ought to make it bullet proof. Just to make sure I'm interpreting these pics correctly, is that top one a single drawer and door with a face frame? And same for picture 3? And are the two narrow pieces in the final photo end panels?

Also are you using the pippy oak in the solid, or is it veneered to a less exotic oak substrate?

This looks like a really interesting WIP - please keep us posted.

Pippy Oak from brooks bros (sheet in front of me as im pricing up some ash).

Per Cubic metre

26mm £1395
38mm £1650
51mm £1995

Its virtually the same price as European oak.

The smaller pippy knots are left unfilled (clients wishes) but larger ones I fill with med oak Brummer. Any large holes, loose knots or barky bits I router and patch.

Its all solid oak. I have some pippy veneered MDF to use for a couple of open cabinets and extractor.

I have not posted or even taken photos of everything there is quite a lot in all. The first photo is a door for the dishwasher. The last photo is of doors and small drawers in a frame, these go on a tall thin cabinet each side of the extractor canopy over mantle. Picture 3 is wall unit doors in a frame.

All my joints and construction was done with the domino.

5519238924_10df66ff97.jpg

Hi

Good looking kitchen. I have never worked in pippy oak, I've always thought it would not plane very well, what with the knots etc. How did you find it worked?

Chris

Mr T":1ynz3npa said:
Hi

Good looking kitchen. I have never worked in pippy oak, I've always thought it would not plane very well, what with the knots etc. How did you find it worked?

Chris

I find it all planes fine, you get the odd area where the grain is a challenge, but some sharp cutters and all is good.

Here are a couple more pics....

All delivered on site now and fitted to the carcasses. Looking smart, although my photography does not do it justice!

5558743057_acbb244561.jpg

5559324886_25e954d369.jpg

5558743865_ee508379f1.jpg

superunknown, when you router out the loose knots how do you go about patching them, i've seen some patches on a stair string once and wondered how they did it?
looks great!!
Regards

Mick

Hi Mick,

I router them with a 1/4" bit then stick over some masking tape, shade over with a softish pencil. I then search for a suitable pippy area or knot from an offcut, stick on the tape, bandsaw it out the slightly taper the leading edge, glue and tap in with a hammer. :).

Steve

superunknown":1j3aazsk said:
Hi Mick,

I router them with a 1/4" bit then stick over some masking tape, shade over with a softish pencil. I then search for a suitable pippy area or knot from an offcut, stick on the tape, bandsaw it out the slightly taper the leading edge, glue and tap in with a hammer. :).

Steve

Brilliant - and so simple I'd never have thought of it. This is a great thread. Please keep the posts coming Steve.

Back