Framola brackets for shed project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonCamo

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Dear all

My first project was a green oak gazebo with tenons etc all cut by myself. Very enjoyable but tine consuming.
I am hopefully starting a lean to shed project this year but time pressures.
It will be against the house wall with wall brackets to attach beams. At the other end I am considering using framola brackets to speed up the process. Using 145mm PAR cedar posts and beams. It wll have three posts.
Will the framola brackets be good enough for stability or would I need to use some braces as well to reduce racking?
Attached is a pergola simlair to the design I will use. Braces or not?
Regards

Jon
Screenshot_20240128_163116_Pinterest.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240131_160048_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240131_160048_Chrome.jpg
    544.9 KB · Views: 0
I am curious about these brackets as well, I bought a blue roll holder from the same company and they sent me an email about these. I need to build a carport soon on top of a new slab.
I see no reason they would not work well and they do look like a quick solution. I particularly like the fact that you can order the joist hangers in different angles.

Ollie

...with tenons etc all cut by myself. Very enjoyable but tine consuming....

Using a saw instead of a fork will speed things up.

Simpson Strong Tie, a very long-established manufacturer of builder's metalwork, offers a similar range:

https://www.strongtie.co.uk/en-UK/downloads/f-outdoor-living

They claim in their brochure that the items are 'structurally tested'. I would be contacting Simpson's technical department and asking them what regulations apply to these items and to what tests they have been subject.

Then I would ask the same question of the Framola people and see how they respond.

To me, the way the Framola ones are screwed in is ugly. The Simpson one looks better, but even they have missed a trick by using hexagon 'nuts'. For true rustic authenticity, they should be using square heads.

Last edited:
Your original question was:
"Will the framola brackets be good enough for stability or would I need to use some braces as well to reduce racking?"
As you are building a shed, rather than an open pergola/gazebo, surely the wall cladding will prevent racking?? Certainly a temporary diagonal brace, to hold the frame square, as you start cladding would be a good idea.
Because your shed is a lean-to off the wall of your house, the roof sheeting will prevent racking in the whole structure anyhow.
Typically a shed will be framed with a lot less than 145x145 and only a few nails or screws in the corners, so the brackets are probably a bit of overkill to start with.

Last edited:
I’ve used Framola hardware to make a pergola out of 6” cedar at my farther in law’s house.

The final construction is very stable and whilst it’s not as fancy as proper wood joinery, they’re the best looking brackets available and the whole process was easy enough (save for lugging 6” timbers around up at height).

I’ve used Framola hardware to make a pergola out of 6” cedar at my farther in law’s house.

The final construction is very stable and whilst it’s not as fancy as proper wood joinery, they’re the best looking brackets available and the whole process was easy enough (save for lugging 6” timbers around up at height).
Thanks Steve

Agree they look good. Will give them a go

Your original question was:
"Will the framola brackets be good enough for stability or would I need to use some braces as well to reduce racking?"
As you are building a shed, rather than an open pergola/gazebo, surely the wall cladding will prevent racking?? Certainly a temporary diagonal brace, to hold the frame square, as you start cladding would be a good idea.
Because your shed is a lean-to off the wall of your house, the roof sheeting will prevent racking in the whole structure anyhow.
Typically a shed will be framed with a lot less than 145x145 and only a few nails or screws in the corners, so the brackets are probably a bit of overkill to start with.

Back