Oak gazebo

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonCamo

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi

New to the group. I have started an oak gazebo project. I am using 6 inch posts and beams.
One post will have an oak brace on either side of it (braces in the same plane). Therefore the tenons of each brace will be at the same level and the mortices both central on either side of the post. With a mortice depth of 70mm to allow clearance for the tenons (circa 68mm tall) there will only be about 10mm of oak at best between each mortice. The motices are 1.5 inches wide.
My query is whether this will weaken the post significantly? I assume not as I see plenty of post/braces with this configuration on the web

Regards

Jon

First attempt. Bought the braces though!

Attachments

• 20221204_140008.jpg
    20221204_140008.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
If you keep to the 'thirds' rule applied to the mortices then you are almost creating a through mortice from each side which should be fine. You don't say if you intend to peg the joints?

You can either Mortice right through, there will still be more than sufficient strength in the oak or if you prefer leave some in the middle and reduce the length of the tenon. You say 70mm but you could reduce that to 60mm leaving approx 30mm in the middle or even 55mm leaving approx 40mm in the middle. With an 18 or 19mm peg you’ll still have enough on the tenon to peg it.

Great, thanks.

The tenons on the braces I bought are circa 68mm in height. Instead of the standard 1.5 inch centre for the peg hole that I have used for the tenons on my posts I was going to centre 1 and 1/8 inches off the shoulders so that there is more wood on the tenon above the peg hole to reduce the risk of the tenon tearing when pegging. Does this sound like a good idea or not? Of course it would mean less wood stock under the peg on the beams so risks tear our there maybe??

Drawboring
Pegs are 20mm

Regards

Jon

Dear all

I have another query:
My gazebo will have a pair of parrallel tie beams joined to the four posts by mortice and tenon joints (100mm mortices, 1.5 inch thick tenons). The beams and posts are 150mm. I plan to place two more beams on top of these beams and join using a mid lap joint similair to the images attached.
Bearing in mind the mortice in the lower beam is 100mm and the beams are 150mm, how much depth can I cut into each beam to create the joint without the lower beam being weakened too much?
I hope this makes sense and forgive if my terminology is not quite accurate (newbie)

Regards

Jon

Attachments​

• Screenshot_20221213-153243_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20221213-153243_Google.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20221214-070607_Google.jpg

Latest posts

Back