Pink Tulip Wood box with Blackwood finial

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Alun,
Pleased you had a look to see what I have been up to. The original finial did turn out well but became too large and over powering for the box.
So after all the constructive comments I have produced two new small finials as seen in the pics and the lady of the house likes the pink ivory wood one as I do as it blends nicely with the pink tulip wood.
Thank you for your comments Alun, much appreciated.
Regards,
Ian

I think the pink ivory finial looks the best on the box, but there's not a lot in it, the blackwood one looks good as well.

tekno.mage

Ian, having seen the box with shorter finials I tend to think it would look better as t.m says with a small knob to match the style of the box, just a continuance of the section scaling and in a matching wood.

Turn It In":2h1alw5y said:
Hi All,
I have been turning the pink tulip wood box with a finial of African blackwood.
I would appreciate constructive comments and criticism regarding the finial with reference to the style, size etc.

I would have to say that the tulip wood box makes me think of the old pagan goddess statues with their squat chunkiness, the flowing curves and the rich colours.

The finial is very sharp and angular which jars with the box. I would expect the finial to be on something tall and slender with a more modern feel.

I like them both individually, but as a pair they do not go.

Finials are always awkward to get right. As a general rule they should follow the curve of the box or hollow form and be a continuation of the form leading to a point. The classic examples are probably Cindy drozda

There is nothing wrong with the box IMHO but I still think that to finish it off it would be better with something that emulates the boxy shape. Try a simple round button shape and see if that looks any better.

Pete

Hi All,
Thank you for your various suggestions and the more input i get the more I feel a flowing round button is going to be the answer and then work will have to commence on a more suitable design to produce a finial lidded box.
I will post my next photo later today all being well of the possible final result.
Many thanks for all your input.
Regards,
Ian

Hi Ian,

I like the new finials, the black one being my choice, but on balance I think a button echoing the curves of the box may be the best choice. Its interesting how ones thoughts develop as various options are explored and demonstrated.

An interesting exercise in design development as distinct from a critique on a specific piece.

Regards,

Mike C

I don't think the box is big enough to justify a finial, IMHO I think a button in the same wood would look better.
Finials I think, should follow the contours or compliment the box, bowl, or hollow form they are on.
The turning is good, the wood is gorgeous. Well done.

John. B

Hi Mike, Thankyou for your comments and I quite agree that this thread has developed nicely into design development and has been both enjoyable and educational for me and I hope for all that have partaken in posting their views and advice. I am pleased that everyone seems to have slightly different opinions that prove we are all not rail- roaded into making every thing the same.
Hi John, Many thanks for your valued comments and my next task will be to produce a more button shaped top to blend in. Yes the pink tulip wood is superb and the grain benefits from producing the box to this shape to show off the red and pink layers of the grain. Thankyou for your compliments they are much appreciated.
Regards to you both,
Ian

John. B":qhcc4bl0 said:
I don't think the box is big enough to justify a finial, IMHO

That's it! I hadn't responded because I couldn't visualise what was wrong with it. But honestly, I think John's got it. The box would be better without the finial.

Just My Opinion.

Hi All,
After all the ideas and the for's and against's I tried a small button but decided the box was never meant to have anything more than its present shape.
So it had to be done and the lid went back in the chuck and this is my final result after all your fine advice and I will have to get back to the lathe and create a new box that will take the finial.
Please enjoy the final picture.
Picture061.jpg

Best regards to all of you for your valuable input.
Ian

Hi Paul,
I've turned a couple of tops but neither looked right so I spit the proverbial dummy out and put the lid in the chuck! The rest is now history but not for the want of trying.
Hi Chas,
Thank you, I guess your comment that less is more sums it up! At least it has been an interesting design debate.
Many thanks for both your inputs,
Regards,
Ian

Hi Tom,
Just realised that I hadn't replied directly to you but better late than never and thank you for your comments. As you can see I have eliminated the finial etc and we now have the final result.
Many thanks for your input.
Regards, Ian

Bravo, I think this was your best option, it looks good. Next, try a plainer timber with a black slender finial

That looks cute. For me the dramatic colouring in the wood looks better with a basic shape and no finial. Doesn't need anything else.

Now you need to think of different shapes for all those finials. :lol:

Pete

Hi Pete,
Yes I must agree it does look cute and when I made one before a young lady I worked with bought it on first sight.
Pink tulip wood is so striking with its red and pink grain that the round shape of the box really enhances the overall appearance dramatically.
Back to the lathe tomorrow to produce a finial box.
Regards,
Ian

Turn It In":15cx5a33 said:
Hi All,
After all the ideas and the for's and against's I tried a small button but decided the box was never meant to have anything more than its present shape.
So it had to be done and the lid went back in the chuck and this is my final result after all your fine advice and I will have to get back to the lathe and create a new box that will take the finial.
Please enjoy the final picture.

Best regards to all of you for your valuable input.
Ian

Looks damn fine Ian ! - look forward to seeing your finial on another box soon !

Back