Pink Tulip Wood box with Blackwood finial

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turn It In

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All,
I have been turning the pink tulip wood box with a finial of African blackwood.
I would appreciate constructive comments and criticism regarding the finial with reference to the style, size etc.
Picture053.jpg

Thank you in anticipation,
Regards,
Ian

Hello Ian.
Nice looking box with a lovely piece of timber,but i think the finial is too chunky for the size of the box.If it was made thinner/delicate looking, it would be more in proportion i feel.
Good attempt though :D

Hi Dalboy,
Yes I am inclined to agree with you about the size and fortunately it is not glued in place as yet so i can change it. I am not a regular turner of finials so thats why I have asked for opinions and yes the tulip wood has got a super grain and colour.
Regards,
Ian

Finial far to tall and heavy for my tastes, height stopping off at the bottom of the first bead would be in proportion with the box IMO.

lovely wood.

Hi Chas and Ali,
All points noted Chas I will turn another tomorrow and resubmit.
Thanks Ali for the comments I think I will keep this finial for another project and turn a new one tomorrow following received advice.
Regards,
Ian

HI,

That finial is very nice, and I would keep that but change the box !!!

The box is very - snowman like.......... :?

Lovely finishing and very nice wood though.

Loz

Turn It In":2172ils7 said:
Sorry you don't like the shape of the box.
Regards,
Ian

Just my opinion Ian !

There stuff on my shelves i couldn't give away that i think are nice !!!

Hi Loz,
Yes I can understand where you are coming from with likes and dislikes, we all go through that, how often especially when you were young and went in and art gallery or similar and would not have given half of what you saw house room.
Thank god we are all different!!
Regards,
Ian

I agree that the finial is too long and chunky. Try a different colour as well as it overpowers the box even though the box is chunky. Just as an experiment try a small knob instead of a finial? Perhaps more in keeping with the overall look of the piece. Certainly hang on to the finial as it iis well done. Will need a pretty large base to sit on though.

Pete

I think the finial and the box don't really go together.

I quite like the finial, but think it needs to go on something much larger - and maybe the top part is a little too heavy looking.

Box is made of lovely wood, but I think I'd prefer it with a slightly different lid shape. The lid seems a bit heavy. It might be improved with a simple rounded lid (ie the bottom part of the existing lid) with a small round blackwood knob on top.

Hope the above is of some use.

tekno.mage

Good morning Pete and t.m,
Thank you both for your comments, Pete as I don't frequently turn finials I was quite pleased that it developed as well as it did but by the time I had finished it, it did seem too large and thats why it is not glued in and advice is sort. But fear not as it has gone so well it will return elsewhere!

TM i was thinking of trying another finial in pink ivory wood to soften the dominance and will look at the lid again.
Many thanks,
Regards,
Ian

Shape, size and wood all come down to personal taste in the end.
I think your plan to keep the finial for something else is what I would do too. I personaly feel that if you add a finial to anything is has to reflect the feel of the thing you attatch it to. with a shape of box you have chosen (which I like) I would go with Bodrighy, and go for a shorter knob type thing. If you are aiming for a more delicate item, I would be tempted to to turn the bottom part to a rather thinner base and, maybe, add a stand so it becomes a little less chunky looking and fits with the feel of the finial... but then .... that is my kind of thing :lol:
still comes to personal choice! no right or wrong!

I shall look forward to seeing your results.

Agree with most of the comments about the finial.

The box is a beautiful piece of wood, it needs a finer, shorter finial in my view.

The existing finial when re-used should be more delicate in the top section to keep it in balance, but thats a purely personal opinion.

Looking forward to your final combination.

Regards,

Mike C

Hi Mrs S and MikeC,
Good to hear your views and I believe the general consensus is change the finial for a smaller one.
I am very pleased with all the constructive comments from everyone and will be back with Mk2 and or 3 asap!
Regards,
ian

Hiya Ian ....

Bit late in catching up with this one, Sorry ! ...
The original one looks to have been beautifully turned ( finial )... but maybe I would be inclined to agree, just a wee spot too big for the box.

Better length on the 'new' ones, not quite so 'ornate' as the original, but they look fine. --- either one 'colour-wise' would be ok I think, If I was to choose.. maybe the 'black' one, just because I like the contrast. :lol: , and becasue it was your 'original plan' to go that way.

I like the box.. its lovely wood, and I like the shape of it too.

Definately keep that first finial.. its going to find a home somewhere soon, no doubt and its a good 'un ! 8) 8) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back