Pillar drill recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerwyn

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all
I’m setting up a small workshop 3m x 3m and I’m looking for a pillar drill to put in it. Has anyone got any recommendations for one they have bought

Korean naerok brand great machines not as bulky as the old english ones but not carp like the majority from the far east.

Can't recommend the Axminster AP700PD. Have had ongoing issues with runout and still haven't managed to figure it out.

Hi all
I’m setting up a small workshop 3m x 3m and I’m looking for a pillar drill to put in it. Has anyone got any recommendations for one they have bought
You don’t mention what materials you’ll be drilling, the capacity required or your budget - but I’m happy with my Bosch PBD 40. Easy to adjust the speed. Just be aware - the drill head moves up and down to adjust the capacity rather than the table being adjustable.

Last edited:
Another vote for the Bosch PBD40.
Small footprint, light, and ease of use, also the LCD for the drilling depth is a handy feature.

I’d look out for a secondhand Startrite Mercury. Very capable drill, very little to go wrong, just check the runout in case the quill is worn. They hold their value / increase, so always a good investment.

I'm happy with my Startrite Mercury. The only thing I miss from my previous big Sealey is its rack and pinion table height adjustment.
Brian

Another vote for the Startrite Mercury.......Here's a couple of pics of mine that I refurbished and I also added an NVR switch to it as can be seen in the picture.

20221009_085803.jpg
20221009_085559.jpg
20221009_085722.jpg

Pre 1970's British, look at the drilling table, if you have the half moon of shame it has probably been neglected. Naerok are a very good machine though.

You don’t mention what materials you’ll be drilling, the capacity required or your budget - but I’m happy with my Bosch PBD 40. Easy to adjust the speed. Just be aware - the drill head moves up and down to adjust the capacity rather than the table being adjustable.
I have that model it allows for accurate depth cuts with a digital readout, has accurate laser cross hair centring and good build quality overall I am happy but (there’s always a but) the throat depth is limited so reaching guitar centres is frustratingly impossible. Beware of this limitation.

I bought a second hand Fobco Universal a few years ago. That and the Fobco Star are really good solid drills, and far better than many modern ones. Just check bearings and quill are in good nick first. Sometimes you can find them at a really good price.

+1 for second hand. I picked up this Atlas floor standing model earlier in the year, £50. Just have to wait around for the right one.
Screenshot_20220616_224453_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

Took some work to get it cleaned up, but is bulletproof. Difficult to move though.

Latest posts

Back