Rutlands pillar drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuffandblah

Reaction score
Thinking of getting my first pillar drill, looking to spend sub £200, and found the pillar drill from Rutlands.

Spec looks pretty good for the price, with 500w motor.

Rutlands Pillar Drill

Has anyone had any experience with this drill?

Last edited:
Thinking of getting my first pillar drill, looking to spend sub £200, and found the pillar drill from Rutlands.

Rutlands Pillar Drill

Not that model. I had a similar variant from Axminster and the base and the pillar were not square with each other (2 degrees out). A SIP variant where the NVR switch failed to work again once pressed. SIP customer services had the machine in their possession but they could not trace the fault and could not get a spare part. A Bosch PBD 40. Very noisy 700W hand drill motor and a strange steering wheel handle that made it difficult to hold and drill accurately because one's guiding hand was no longer at a natural angle. Handle mechanism failed with parts coming loose and and jamming the quill. It was 6 weeks with Bosch and they could not fix it. I retrieved my money and went elsewhere.

After that I looked for a seconhand British machine. I found a fully refurbished Fobco (as suggested by Spectric) and have not looked back since its installation.. It is quiet and has a measured runout of 0.004" It is incredibly heavy too so if collecting one, take a strong friend.

As to the Rutland, it also looks like a far eastern model with a mid range motor (500W) which should cope with many hobbyist requirements. Additionally you have the 3 year warranty offered by Rutland. I would check on what that warranty actually includes because some warranties are very restrictive. (My SIP drill had insisted on me sending the faulty machine back with the original outer wrapping! The Rutland warranty may include parts only, parts and labour, collection and delivery costs &c.

Whilst I fully accept that a properly refurbished Fobco, Meddings etc is an excellent tool, as a first purchase with possibly limited experience you may be taking on a significant risk:
  • are you able to judge the quality of a refurbished or renovated tool, or take a knowledgeable friend. It is more than just a can of paint to make it look pretty
  • unless you have some engineering knowledge would you be able to maintain, fix or even source spare parts when needed.
A few years ago in a similar position, lacking knowledge (I still have little) but being honest about my own limitations, I went for a new machine. I chose Axminster as they have/had several branches, a good reputation (at the time) for service, and a reliable source of spares.

There are some very good other smaller machinery sellers (eg: Yandles) who I have used. Record also sell a wide range of tools and seem to have decent responsive support.

Your final choice may also depend on what you expect to use it for. Almost any bench or pillar drill is a massive step up from a hand held rechargeable. If your need is high precision this will influence your choice - but for general woodworking duties a new drill from a reputable UK based source, guaranteed and with spares and service back up has a lot to commend it.

If you are buying new customer service is important. If the item has got a problem it's going to show up pretty soon so you need a good response from the vendor. I'm currently resolving an issue with a brand new Einhell. Although it's a German company, it's a generic Chinese product but the Einhell UK are being very helpful in resolving the problem. If you go for a s/h generic model, get it from a seller who has been using it moderately and carefully for a number of years there's every chance it will do well for you.
Recommendation of the old one British makes is all very well but you could spend ages waiting for the right one to come up and you've got to be prepared to travel afar to collect.
So, I assume if you're considering buying new you want it NOW. If that's the case, go to the likes of Axy and be prepared to pay a little bit more.
Brian

PS writing this at this unearthly hour due to over indulgence yesterday.
Have a great 2024

Rutlands Pillar Drill

If you want something like this I would suggest Machine Mart. You can have a good look at the different offerings and assess the quality. Pretty much all the new ones now are generic Chinese, as is the Rutland one looking at it. But you really would be better getting a decent second hand one, If you have space.

Possibly don't bother with Naerok... insolvency proceedings from 4th December 1991 - so getting spares or repairs will always be a difficulty. Information from Companies House listing... NAEROK LIMITED insolvency - Find and update company information - GOV.UK
Very unlikely you would ever need parts specific to it. All the usual stuff, bearings, belts etc can be obtained anywhere. And they are a decently made heavy duty machine, unlike the Rutland the OP is looking at.

Thanks everyone for your responses.
I'd love to get an old drill and take some time cleaning it up, as I know the old British drills are worth waiting for.

Unfortunately, my health doesn't warrant travelling too far or breaking my back lifting up an old second-hand monster, plus I need something soon to finish off a project. So unfortunately having to look at the Chinese clones.

I've taken a look at many drills online and based on your comments ruled it down to the following (and have increased my budget slightly):

Clarke CDP152b:
Clarke CDP152B 12 Speed Bench Mounted Drill Press (230V) - Machine Mart - Machine Mart

Record DP25B:
Record Power Bench Drill with 22' Column and 1/2' Chuck

My father had a Clarke, which lasted a long time, not sure how good it was, he was an engineer so would have returned it if it was no good. I have a Machine Mart not too far away, so have the benefit of taking it back if I have any problems.

The record looks pretty similar, but comes with a 5 year warranty and looks like spares are available. Yandles seem like a decent company from what I can gather, but don't have the convenience of a local shop.

I have a Clarke drill (bought from Machine Mart). It was bought a good number of years ago and they may have improved it since then - but as a drill for making holes accurately it is useless as the quill moves as soon as you apply any pressure.

Biggest problem on many of these is that they do often seem to have a sloppy fit between the quill and it's housing, so that is what I would check as soon as you get it. I have to say I haven't been impressed with the Clarke branded stuff I have seen over the years, but nowadays many of these machines are probably from the same factories with a different coat of paint, so no particular reason why it should be any worse than the same machine branded as a Sealy, Draper or whatever. Record used to have a good reputation when they produced some good quality kit, made here in the UK. Now sadly they have joined the Chinese clone brigade. Maybe they insist on a higher standard of quality than others, that is really for you to judge when you look at it. But don't forget if you buy something like the Fobco mentioned above then you are getting a machine that in real terms cost many times your budget when new, and is built accordingly.

Thanks everyone for your responses.
I'd love to get an old drill and take some time cleaning it up, as I know the old British drills are worth waiting for.

Unfortunately, my health doesn't warrant travelling too far or breaking my back lifting up an old second-hand monster, plus I need something soon to finish off a project. So unfortunately having to look at the Chinese clones.

I've taken a look at many drills online and based on your comments ruled it down to the following (and have increased my budget slightly):

Clarke CDP152b:
Clarke CDP152B 12 Speed Bench Mounted Drill Press (230V) - Machine Mart - Machine Mart

Record DP25B:
Record Power Bench Drill with 22' Column and 1/2' Chuck

My father had a Clarke, which lasted a long time, not sure how good it was, he was an engineer so would have returned it if it was no good. I have a Machine Mart not too far away, so have the benefit of taking it back if I have any problems.

The record looks pretty similar, but comes with a 5 year warranty and looks like spares are available. Yandles seem like a decent company from what I can gather, but don't have the convenience of a local shop.
I have that Record Power drill, it’s a nice little drill. I wouldn’t use it for ultra precision engineering, but for general woodworking, joinery and chair making I’ve found it really capable.
I can totally recommend Yandles, they are really helpful, great customer service etc… all round great experience. They have even helped me out with advice on parts and fixings for machines I haven’t bought through them. I took a punt on a second hand RP lathe last year, but found it was missing a part that was no longer made, gave Yandles a ring and they sorted me out with a local supplier. A+ service in my view!

Edit: forgot to say that the delivery was quick and seamless too, as you don’t have a local shop!

I have that Record Power drill, it’s a nice little drill. I wouldn’t use it for ultra precision engineering, but for general woodworking, joinery and chair making I’ve found it really capable.
I can totally recommend Yandles, they are really helpful, great customer service etc… all round great experience. They have even helped me out with advice on parts and fixings for machines I haven’t bought through them. I took a punt on a second hand RP lathe last year, but found it was missing a part that was no longer made, gave Yandles a ring and they sorted me out with a local supplier. A+ service in my view!

Edit: forgot to say that the delivery was quick and seamless too, as you don’t have a local shop!
Appreciate the feedback on the record, I've noticed the power is only about 250w compared to 450w on the clarke, do you find it capable in everyday work? Got some 50mm hole saw in MDF to undertake, so hoping it can cope with this and more.

I contacted Yandles this morning about spares and vice options and they were very quick to respond and helpful.

Generally I would say hi with the most powerful motor you can get within budget. Always better to have too much than not enough. 250w is not great, I think it might struggle with your 50mm holes, MDF is quite hard on tools. It's the same power as an old Wickes branded one I have, and I would certainly expect that to bog down doing something like that. Handy for drilling small holes in stuff but not much else. My go to bench drill is a Whitecote, Taiwanese job, 500w motor. Not actually that much bigger footprint than the ones you are looking at, although a much heavier built machine very similar to the Naerok ones. Cost me £80 on e bay. Hard to get an idea of scale from the image, it's about 3 foot high. Also sold as Nu Tool, Ajax, and by Warco drill-depthing-tool-006.jpg

Last edited:
If you want new have a look at the Scheppach DB16sl, 500w, and I would think similar quality to the other new ones you are looking at and cheaper. If you shop around you will get one for less than £200. I have one of their portable band saws and it's been very good.

Last edited:
Back