Pillar drill recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all
I’m setting up a small workshop 3m x 3m and I’m looking for a pillar drill to put in it. Has anyone got any recommendations for one they have bought
Hello,
I replaced a Far East pillar drill with a Meddings, from worst to best tool. Searched and found a MB2 model, one owner from new. Incredibly heavy. Since I bought it about a year ago I have been using on the floor sitting on a stool or kneeling. It was too heavy to lift up onto its’ stand and just managed to move it into my workshop by sliding it around on a piece of carpet. Yesterday I managed to take it apart and get up off the floor onto its metal stand. It was a mammoth task lifting the main part off the 3 inch column, resting it on the workbench then dismantling solid column and its’ tables. I then had to reassemble the stand I then had to refit gearbox onto the now much higher top of the column....125kgs. It also came with some proper engineering clamps which makes life easier.
I don’t think it’s going to move much too soon, but looking forward to using today for first time at correct height. Drilling holes in stainless......

2760FB72-15A9-460D-A772-2857E9DC5B30.jpeg

Regards

Last edited:
I have an Axi AW315PD which I am pleased with especially considering the price.
Admittedly not as solid as older machines but it gets the job done with minimal fuss.

This is my near century old Denbigh floor standing piller drill. It came from the firm where my late father served his apprenticeship and all of his working career and I have known it since my earliest memories of going to see him at work. It has the easiest belt changing mechanism of any drill I have ever used and the only thing I would wish for is a wind-up table as per modern machines. It does all I want from it.

Attachments

• P1060255.JPG
    P1060255.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
I'd say reasonable. It depends how quickly you want it. Something cheaper could well come up if you're prepared to wait. Is it local? There could be some haggle room in there if you're that way inclined.
Brian

I'd say reasonable. It depends how quickly you want it. Something cheaper could well come up if you're prepared to wait. Is it local? There could be some haggle room in there if you're that way inclined.
Brian
No not in a rush been thinking I might wait for a floor standing model

Hi all I’ve been offered a startrite mercury single phase. £250. Looks in good condition is that a good price ?
Hello,
Could be good, Startrite is a good builder, much better than a foreign maker. Condition is all that matters, if it is in good condition can you expect something better for the money. I would have thought anything less is going to mean a rebuild, in which case you would be better to buy something foreign and new without the hassle,
Regards

Back